Sox @ Astros 5/23 Gamethread

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

they don't give you extra outs for a perfect route.  he made the plays that were there to be made that's all you can ask.  A few LF would have struggled with those hump back line drives right at him.

No chance. Eloy is dreadful out there. He needs to improve. 

Taking good routes consistently is really important. He doesnt need to be fast or athletic - take good efficient routes, make the plays you're supposed to make and dont make any boneheaded plays. Eloy looks worse in the outfield than most every college outfielders 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Everything I've read and heard say that he's one of the team's hardest workers in all facets of his game

I dont doubt it for one second. But the constant joking about mistakes drives me nuts defensively. Its very possible that's just his defense mechanism for making mistakes... but it still gets under my skin.

After every play in the outfield he's involved in or around he messes around in some way. Its game so absolutely you should have fun - guy is living his dream - but sometimes a sense of urgency and seriousness isn't a bad thing.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I dont doubt it for one second. But the constant joking about mistakes drives me nuts defensively. Its very possible that's just his defense mechanism for making mistakes... but it still gets under my skin.

After every play in the outfield he's involved in or around he messes around in some way. Its game so absolutely you should have fun - guy is living his dream - but sometimes a sense of urgency and seriousness isn't a bad thing.

Maybe if he threw his glove and frowned a lot, the opposition who benefited from the error would feel bad, see him pissed off and allow a re-do.

• Thanks 1

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Maybe if he threw his glove and frowned a lot, the opposition who benefited from the error would feel bad, see him pissed off and allow a re-do.

Not sure your point.

When I fuck up a financial analysis costing myself and my clients money I typically don't joke about it and smile/laugh in their face. They probably wouldn't like that. 

It's not exactly the same, and no one is asking him to get angry... controlling emotions is important, but making light of his lack of left field abilities doesn't sit well with me either. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No chance. Eloy is dreadful out there. He needs to improve. 

Taking good routes consistently is really important. He doesnt need to be fast or athletic - take good efficient routes, make the plays you're supposed to make and dont make any boneheaded plays. Eloy looks worse in the outfield than most every college outfielders 

He's never going to take good routes.  You don't learn that at the MLB level.  But play with a level of competence and confidence to make the plays that are there to be made.  He did that last night.