Is Ricky the worst manager in White Sox history?

ron883

Is Ricky the worst manager in White Sox history?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ricky the worst manager in White Sox history?

• Yes
    • No

On 6/20/2019 at 7:26 AM, Texsox said:

Sticking to managers I've been alive to see.

Hmm, given enough time every manager stinks it up for a stretch and looks good for a stretch. For example Ozzie's final couple months may have been the worst stretch of "managing" I've seen by someone in a Sox uniform. He also had a great stretch in '05. 

I always think of Tony as the best. But that is partly because I was too young to really understand what Tanner was doing. 

I remember when people wanted LaRussa out of town.   His greatness comes from moving to one of the best organizations in baseball.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I remember when people wanted LaRussa out of town.   His greatness comes from moving to one of the best organizations in baseball.

Yesterday he let Yonder bat in the eighth against a good lefty with the game on the line. How do you think that turned out?

• 2 months later...

Reinsdorf has provided Sox fans with a cavalcade of losers in this position to be sure.

But Don Gutteridge was actually worse than Bevington and Renteria and that's saying something.

I have no idea what Reinsdorf had on Ventura but he clearly was forced into a job he neither sought or was qualified for.

Robin is one of my all-time favorites and to have his memory and stature  sullied by that despicable owner is unforgivable. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Since when does an old school manager bat their worst hitter 4th?

He’s following the other old school managing technique of trying to create a lineup of alternating lefty and righty hitters.  This is okay as long as those hitters can actually, you know, hit.  Renteria still does it regardless of talent.

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Ricky is bad, but nowhere near as bad as Ventura was.

Depends. Ventura was horrible managing personalities, but was a much better in-game tactician than Renteria is. Renteria is absolutely awful as an in-game tactician but runs a tight ship. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Ventura looks worse because of the clubhouse being out of control. Both are awful. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 hours ago, GradMc said:

Robin is one of my all-time favorites and to have his memory and stature  sullied by that despicable owner is unforgivable. 

I dislike Reinsdorf, his saving grace for me is 05 which I am very thankful for, but I've never heard "despicable" to describe him.  For him to be despicable a lot of things have to be true: like the small market crap is all a sham and he's had the $$ to dominate this division and just elected not to do so. ... Renteria is not the worse manager in Sox history. This team was close to .500 at the all star break and it's one of the worst rosters put together in team history.

Edited by greg775

14 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s following the other old school managing technique of trying to create a lineup of alternating lefty and righty hitters.  This is okay as long as those hitters can actually, you know, hit.  Renteria still does it regardless of talent.

Do today's stats prove there is an advantage of R vs L anymore?

On 6/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, kitekrazy said:

At the time I thought Tony overmanaged...meaning slowing down the game as he moved an outfielder three steps to the right sort of things.  I guess he was on the cutting edge of todays shifting.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

But how many of them have been around as long as the Sox?

Very very good point Bubba. The teams with fewer WS appearances than Sox are Royals, Miami, Toronto, Houston, Texas, SD, Angels, Arizona, Tampa, Colorado, Milwaukee, Seattle and Washington.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Very very good point Bubba. The teams with fewer WS appearances than Sox are Royals, Miami, Toronto, Houston, Texas, SD, Angels, Arizona, Tampa, Colorado, Milwaukee, Seattle and Washington.

So the answer is ZERO.  A little tricky with Washington.  The original team was the Senators and they go back to 1901 like the Sox.  They were equally incompetent as the Sox.  In fact the old joke was:  Washington---1st in war, 1st in peace, and last in the American League.  They are now the Twins so they surpassed the Sox.

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

So the answer is ZERO.  A little tricky with Washington.  The original team was the Senators and they go back to 1901 like the Sox.  They were equally incompetent as the Sox.  In fact the old joke was:  Washington---1st in war, 1st in peace, and last in the American League.  They are now the Twins so they surpassed the Sox.

weren't they also the texas rangers? weird team history. don't forget the orioles were once the st. louis browns. bad

franchise history there, with 30 years of excellence mixed in.1960's-1990's

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

Washington?  The current Washington team was an expansion team, the Montreal Expos in 1969, that moved to Washington in 2005.  This Washington team has not been in existence since 1901, as you correctly point out the team that was around in 1901 have become the Minnesota Twins and they have won multiple World Series in the late 80s and early 90s.

17 minutes ago, zisk said:

weren't they also the texas rangers? weird team history. don't forget the orioles were once the st. louis browns. bad

franchise history there, with 30 years of excellence mixed in.1960's-1990's

That was a different expansion team in Washington in 1961 and moved to Texas in 1972.  Not the same franchise.