Seby Zavala promoted to Chicago; Castillo to IL

KnightsOnMintSt

Ever notice how really good catchers last a long-long time. Piazza-Hassey-Fisk-Bench-Campanella-Rodriguez-Berra-Carter-Hartnett-Dickey and I'm missing lots more.  A valuable position as the on the field manager.  When you find a good one you need to keep him.  Thinking about this as McCann is discussed concerning his age.

27 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Is Zavala someone to truly monitor? I know there was a decent amount of hype around him last year but it has seemed to cool. Is there some good potential here or will be just another guy by 2021?

Depends on who you ask. A lot of pitchers supposedly really like working with him. I personally think he's a realistic backup catcher option for the future. I'd temper expectations, and enjoy whatever positives or surprises come our way with him. He's a hard guy to not root for.

Whenever Cease is brought up with Rick Hahn he has always said he won't be brought up until he is ready and performs well enough in the Minors and he deserves to be brought up. He has said numerous times he won't bring up anybody to the White Sox unless he deserves it. It sounds real good but its BS. Perfect example is Zavala being called up. I realize that the  team needs another catcher after Castillo getting hurt but still if you look at Zavalas hitting records this season they are appalling. His batting average and OBP are terrible. If anything he should probably be demoted. That being said the team has a starting pitching staff that can't get anybody out and Cease is still in the Minors. Its absolutely insane that Cease is not with the White Sox now. Bums like Banuelos are in the starting rotation and Cease is still in the minors waiting to be called up, I've said this before and I will say this again, its almost as if the White Sox are  losing on purpose.

Edited by WBWSF
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Whenever Cease is brought up with Rick Hahn he has always said he won't be brought up until he is ready and performs well enough in the Minors and he deserves to be brought up. He has said numerous times he won't bring up anybody to the White Sox unless he deserves it. It sounds real good but its BS. Perfect example is Zavala being called up. I realize that the  team needs another catcher after Castillo getting hurt but still if you look at Zavalas hitting records this season they are appalling. His batting average and OBP are terrible. If anything he should probably be demoted. That being said the team has a starting pitching staff that can't get anybody out and Cease is still in the Minors. Its absolutely insane that Cease is not with the White Sox now. Bums like Banuelos are in the starting rotation and Cease is still in the minors waiting to be called up, I've said this before and I will say this again, its almost as if the White Sox are  losing on purpose.

Lol...what a terrible post.  Cease is a top 20 prospect who should not be rushed because holes on the major league roster.  Zavala is a fringe top 15/20 prospect and is the only other catcher on the 40 man roster.  The Sox aren’t adding someone to the 40 man roster because Castillo will miss seven days.  This is just hating to hate.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...what a terrible post.  Cease is a top 20 prospect who should not be rushed because holes on the major league roster.  Zavala is a fringe top 15/20 prospect and is the only other catcher on the 40 man roster.  The Sox aren’t adding someone to the 40 man roster because Castillo will miss seven days.  This is just hating to hate.

Your explanation was what I was going to write but you said it better.  It would have been better without passing judgement on the post.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Your explanation was what I was going to write but you said it better.  It would have been better without passing judgement on the post.

Poppy - I hate being such a blatant dick, but it’s time we take action and clean up this site given all the trolls, whiners, & straight haters roaming around here.  It’s starting to get out of control and the conversation is suffering as a result.  By no means should negativity & criticism be banned, but it needs to be far more focused, objective, and relevant to the conversation at hand.  If the small group of posters here who are polluting the overall quality of the site are unwilling to change on their own, then maybe the rest of us should be more vocal and actually tell them how we feel about their terrible contributions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Poppy - I hate being such a blatant dick, but it’s time we take action and clean up this site given all the trolls, whiners, & straight haters roaming around here.  It’s starting to get out of control and the conversation is suffering as a result.  By no means should negativity & criticism be banned, but it needs to be far more focused, objective, and relevant to the conversation at hand.  If the small group of posters here who are polluting the overall quality of the site are unwilling to change on their own, then maybe the rest of us should be more vocal and actually tell them how we feel about their terrible contributions.

I blame the Machado thread. Got very toxic by the end. Somewhat understandable, but it hasn't gone away since. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:05 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

You might not like that I'm obsessed with K-rate and think our most highly-touted prospects have one that is too damn high, but I'm not the dude who moved to Nashville because we failed to sign to Machado. Check your own eye, buddy.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, The Sir said:

You might not like that I'm obsessed with K-rate and think our most highly-touted prospects have one that is too damn high, but I'm not the dude who moved to Nashville because we failed to sign to Machado. Check your own eye, buddy.

I’m not sure what me moving to Nashville has to do with the overall tone of the board?  I admittedly was beyond pissed when the Sox failed to land Machado and I was a whiny little b**** about it for a stretch.  However, after a while I realized the same old complaining was adding nothing to the overall quality of the board and I could tell others were sick of hearing it, so I made a conscious effort to tone it back substantially.  I am not telling people they can’t be pissed off with ownership or management, but the same comments do not need to be repeated ad naseum in every single thread.

As for you, my post really wasn’t aimed at you or your K-rate fascination.  While I may wholeheartedly disagree with the extremes you take your viewpoint, you are least making a baseball argument and not just whining.  Message boards need dissenting opinions to generate worthwhile discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure what me moving to Nashville has to do with the overall tone of the board?

He has a fucked up habit to take personal shots at posters who share stuff on this board that he gets on his high horse about and disagrees with. Whenever he stops doing that, he will be solid.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Man, it was one game.

I just have a feeling... struck out 5/5 times - basically on fastballs right down the middle.  Not to mention the throw into center field,

I'll gladly eat crow.. but I'm not sure I can remember seeing anyone look more overmatched in their first at bats.

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

He has a fucked up habit to take personal shots at posters who share stuff on this board that he gets on his high horse about and disagrees with. Whenever he stops doing that, he will be solid.

Aw c'mon man, if you can't shit randomly on other people on the Internet, what's the point?

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

It was a really bad game, from an older guy with a pretty limited history of success in MiLB. I've fired people for less.

Hahahahhhahaha. Maybe you should fire your head for not knowing itself from your ass.  My god, you’re a fucking tool.

Edited by default
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, default said:

Hahahahhhahaha. Maybe you should fire your head for not knowing itself from your ass.  My god, you’re a fucking tool.

Thanks for the advice!

Hey, wanna talk about Yoan's impeccable OPS again? Or is that not as fun anymore, since it's making like a Johnny Cash song and going down, down, down?

21 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Thanks for the advice!

Hey, wanna talk about Yoan's impeccable OPS again? Or is that not as fun anymore, since it's making like a Johnny Cash song and going down, down, down?

Sounds like you’re happy about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Thanks for the advice!

24 year olds struggle from time to time? No fucking way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sounds like you’re happy about it. 

I said, and have always said, that Yoan will probably be a useful player and borderline all-star, but strikes out too much to hit .300. I caveat this by saying it doesn't matter, because again, he can still be a solid player. Other people attack this and make a big deal about his OPS being at least .870. Now, I could absolutely be wrong, but based simply on the math, I don't see that as a high probability either. A BA or .260 and OPS of .800 seem reasonable to me as a long term output for a guy who strikes out at his particular rate.

Of course, some people sarcastically mocked it at the time because, 45 or so games into the season, he had an .870+ OPS and said it must therefore be possible. Ignoring their own usual rantings about SSS and the fact that Yoan got off to a great and relatively unsustainable start, they assumed he could do .870+ because he had done it until that point. A week later, it's changed drastically. Yoan has continued to regress towards his mean, which is emphatically not an .870 OPS player.

I'm not happy about it. I love this team and would like to be wrong. But if people want to be assholes about it, because I think we got less for one of the best pitchers in franchise history than we deserved and it represents yet another of Rick Hahn's many failures, then I'm happy to go that route too.

12 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

24 year olds struggle from time to time? No fucking way!

Yeah yeah yeah, he's young and deserves more time. That's what you all say. Fine- this season is a write-off and wins/losses don't matter at all. So more time can be had. Absolutely.

That said, give me a date where we can actually judge these players. At which point can we identify certain players as busts? At which point can we be confident that we know what we have? I don't think Moncada will put up an .800 OPS any of the next three seasons. Save this post, come back and quote me if you like. If I'm right, can we start saying that he is what he is, or are we going to continue talking as if he still hasn't had enough opportunity? That it's still the "struggles" of a young player and not just his natural state?