Game Thread : Sox (Banuelos) @Twins (Gibson) 05/25/19

Bazox

It’s time to send Herrera to the IL. He is obviously far too (adversely) affected by his back strain to be effective, at this point in time. 

After this appearance, in eight (8) May outings, Herrera’s ERA is 17.05  in 6.1 IP, with 12 ER, 15 H, 6 BB, 5 K, 3 HR and a 3.32 WHIP. 

This move should be a no brainer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

4 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Problem is there is a small group here that if a rookie isn't an instant mike trout they go crazy

Somewhat fair point. However given the track record of this organization in developing actual major league players you can understand the concern.

6 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Exactly. Good post. Problem is there is a small group here that if a rookie isn't an instant mike trout they go crazy

There's some value on the other side though...we see teams like the Braves call up an Acuna or the Nationals call up a Soto or the Dodgers call up a Bellinger and these guys are somewhere between very good and great in their first season. Not every prospect can do that I understand, but what exactly are the White Sox doing so different that none of their guys get off to good starts?

• Like 2

Unfortunately I rarely get to sit down and watch an entire Sox game but I did today...also unfortunately.  I come to Soxtalk to occasionally gripe if something ticks me off because there are others here that care about the Sox and otherwise I'm just talking to my couch.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

There's some value on the other side though...we see teams like the Braves call up an Acuna or the Nationals call up a Soto or the Dodgers call up a Bellinger and these guys are somewhere between very good and great in their first season. Not every prospect can do that I understand, but what exactly are the White Sox doing so different that none of their guys get off to good starts?

VERY well said.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Unfortunately I rarely get to sit down and watch an entire Sox game but I did today...also unfortunately.  I come to Soxtalk to occasionally gripe if something ticks me off because there are others here that care about the Sox and otherwise I'm just talking to my couch.

Dude your fine. I gripe too believe me. But one thing is a gripe bout a situation and another is just b****ing about everything.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I wish to know.... And your right. But I rather just sit back and relax and see what happens. I want prolonged results not only one time thing. But yeah I've always wondered the same thing

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Somewhat fair point. However given the track record of this organization in developing actual major league players you can understand the concern.

I agree. But sheesh I can see after an extended period of time not 1 at bat

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

And that's cool. But sheesh a whole page of the same repeated and repeated. What was once an enjoyable board has became unbearable sometimes. I get it. Frustration but they b**** even if the sox do good.

Personally I like the mixed reactions.  Kind of like talking to a bunch of guys at a picnic.  Some are more knowledgeable than others.  Some are glass half full others half empty.  My only draw the line issue is with personal attack.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

I agree. But sheesh I can see after an extended period of time not 1 at bat

Getz was on White Sox Weekly talking about the various prospects.  Sounds like he is very pleased with progress being made by all the usual names.  He did say that Robert could hold his own at the big league level but was properly placed at AA for now.  Sounded to me like FO is committed to not rushing anyone.  Getz said judge us by what you see in the second half.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Personally I like the mixed reactions.  Kind of like talking to a bunch of guys at a picnic.  Some are more knowledgeable than others.  Some are glass half full others half empty.  My only draw the line issue is with personal attack.

I do too. But its the constant repeating of the same crap

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

He is actually been OK from anything I was expecting.  Stuff looks good.  Just works slow for my taste.  Good pitchers work fast and attack.

Yeah I hear you.  I get frustrated when the Sox are getting blown out.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Latest example, also from the Braves:  Austin Riley.  First 10 games in the bigs:  batting .350 with 5 HR's and 12 RBI's.  The Braves have this rebuild thing down to a science.  Won their division last year in Year 3 of their rebuild and they're still cranking out stars.  The Sox have no clue how this should be done.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

door helps when a team is playing well. The lineup really helps. I will agree the sox have talented but dumb players

In the after the game radio show Ricky said he knows fans think we don't see these mistakes.  He specifically mentioned the Garcia ill advised throw home allowing the trailing runner to advance.  I paid attention because I ranted here about it.  He said believe it or not he and coaches spent time immediate on the bench at innings end.  They are baseball people and they probably see and address far more than we think.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

In the after the game radio show Ricky said he knows fans think we don't see these mistakes.  He specifically mentioned the Garcia ill advised throw home allowing the trailing runner to advance.  I paid attention because I ranted here about it.  He said believe it or not he and coaches spent time immediate on the bench at innings end.  They are baseball people and they probably see and address far more than we think.

Then if they address issues like this WHY do they keep happening? Either they aren't very good teaches or the players they are talking to are "baseball-stupid" when it comes to the fundamentals. Probably a little of both in my opinion. Only way to solve this, again in my opinion, are pre game drills (regardless if the players like it or not) or benchings until they get it. The Sox as a team are almost dead last in fielding this year. Not like we haven't seen that before the last 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Then if they address issues like this WHY do they keep happening? Either they aren't very good teaches or the players they are talking to are "baseball-stupid" when it comes to the fundamentals. Probably a little of both in my opinion. Only way to solve this, again in my opinion, are pre game drills (regardless if the players like it or not) or benchings until they get it. The Sox as a team are almost dead last in fielding this year. Not like we haven't seen that before the last 10 years.

The last 10 years is the hard part. This will be the first decade since the 1970s that the White Sox will not go the playoffs at least once in a decade. That's hard to take, rebuild or no rebuild.

Not that I don't see positives. Young talent is beginning to develop and the team even looks good at times. But it is not fun to watch a team lose two games by a combined score of 19-5. And please don't tell me the Twins are hot. I don't give a damn if they're hot.

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's something this board should know 

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The players who can't remember which base to throw to will probably not be part of the championship years.  They are placement holders until the Robert, Collins and Madrigal's get here.  Keep the faith.

9 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The last 10 years is the hard part. This will be the first decade since the 1970s that the White Sox will not go the playoffs at least once in a decade. That's hard to take, rebuild or no rebuild.

Not that I don't see positives. Young talent is beginning to develop and the team even looks good at times. But it is not fun to watch a team lose two games by a combined score of 19-5. And please don't tell me the Twins are hot. I don't give a damn if they're hot.

Preaching to the choir...I get it!

I'll read the thread after posting this. Just caught up on the game/box score. Wow, if there was ever any question we're still tanking, just look at tonight's game. We pretty much conceded it by pitching the guys we pitched. And on the nights we lose, our lineup still looks so flawed. I do think Ricky has done about the best anybody could do with what he's been given to work with. Minnesota really spanked the Sox tonight. Boring, horrific outing for Chicago.

Now I'll read the thread! Go Sox! Tornadoes go away!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Moncanda has no chance here, they look lackluster, what's happening in that clubhouse!?

I preface this by saying Moncada, Timmy and Eloy will all be stars, maybe even all stars this year, but I have pointed out to those who love tanking and the draft, that sometimes the fact our team blows can affect performance. Remember our young guys are thrust into meaningless baseball games and I'd think on many occasions they just go through the motions. I mean why draw a walk the nights our team blows chunks? I can see why several at bats would be wasted hacking at everything, trying to hit the ball a mile. What good is drawing a walk or battling in an 8-1 rout??

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I preface this by saying Moncada, Timmy and Eloy will all be stars, maybe even all stars this year, but I have pointed out to those who love tanking and the draft, that sometimes the fact our team blows can affect performance. Remember our young guys are thrust into meaningless baseball games and I'd think on many occasions they just go through the motions. I mean why draw a walk the nights our team blows chunks? I can see why several at bats would be wasted hacking at everything, trying to hit the ball a mile. What good is drawing a walk or battling in an 8-1 rout??

Ok good points. Although a smart hitter draws a walk there because we need baserunners if we are going to come back. A home run does nothing.