5/26- Sox at Twins, 1:10, NBCSC

flavum

Just now, Flash said:

The difference between the Twins and the Sox is Twins ownership doesn't tolerate continued underperformance. In 2016, the Twins fired their beloved GM, Terry Ryan. Before the start of the 2019 season, the Twins fired Paul Molitor a year after earning Manager of the Year. You don't get to rest on your laurels. The Twins know when they need to bring in fresh perspective. You could argue the Sox came into 2019 with a better looking team on paper than the Twins. The difference is the off-season moves and and commitment to fielding a competitive product game in and game out...not providing job security to underperforming patsies under the banner of a multi year rebuild.  

Good post and so Damn true. The sox still have people using 05 as a meal ticket

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

When this game is over today, Dylan Covey will have a career record of 5 and 25. Think about that: 5 and 25.

Won/loss record is meaningless in the advanced stat era, sir.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not really I mean they have some good young players but are getting major contributions from 1 year free agents like Martin Perez, Nelson Cruz, Jonathon Schoop and 2 years for Marwin Gonzalez also big contribution from waivers with CJ Cron also a 1 year contract.

I forgot some teams acquire temporary free agents with the idea of winning. We add Alonso, Jay, that pitcher we've already cut in order to feed the tank.

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Twins 18-8 on the road and home. Credit due.

Sox would have been better off trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana, then getting right back to filling in the gaps and hoping. In fact, get to it next offseason.

That's exactly what they should have done! Those were 3 damn fine trades. That's ALL Hahn and Kenny have done well. They can trade. But we have to embrace the tank until it's deemed that wave of players we got are "ready." 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I forgot some teams acquire temporary free agents with the idea of winning. We add Alonso, Jay, that pitcher we've already cut in order to feed the tank.

And the thing is it's a great time to do that with FA prices for non tenders , and waivers and free agents who lack suitors for various reasons. If the Sox explored that market with just one person full time. Maybe they could've re signed Avi after he was non tendered or Schoop , or picked on a 30 HR guy like Cron on waivers. or got Martin Perez all guys around 27/28 yrs all for a year with a chance to extend them. But Hahn did get McCann and he fits in that category too.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

That's exactly what they should have done! Those were 3 damn fine trades. That's ALL Hahn and Kenny have done well. They can trade. But we have to embrace the tank until it's deemed that wave of players we got are "ready." 

There is no reason the Sox shouldn't be better than the Twins right now except bad personnel decisions, most this past offseason. 

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The Twins have had some success rebuilding on the fly. More than the home team. Some bold moves with management as mentioned. Their players know they can beat us. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Minnesota is #1 in the MLB in runs scored by 30 and OPS by 20 and less in most other categories.

The White Sox are rebuilding.  

What did people really expect to happen?

At least shown up and compete? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

This is total BS. The White Sox can compete with Minnesota. Just play decent ball: catch the ball and hit the ball. Tilson catches that ball in center and the Twins don't score that inning and Rosario leads off the next inning with nobody on base. 

The Sox are something like 0 for 11 with runners in scoring position in the last two games with the Twins. In the 7th today, the Sox have men on 2nd and 3rd and nobody out. AND THEY DON'T SCORE. Get a hit there and the Sox are leading and we use our good bullpen guys, not Osich and Manaya. The Sox can compete with the Twins. The could have and should have won this game today. The Twins didn't win today; the Sox lost. Which makes it even worse. We should be better. But don't put out this BS that only Moncada could play for the Twins. 

The Sox had 16 k's today and every starter had at least 1.  The offense caught an early flight out. 

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The Twins have a very good young core and a good farm system with two guys ranked in the top 15.

It's a good time to be a Twins fan. Their major league team is kicking ass and their farm is stacked as well. 

Hmmm how did this happen? I can't find the post to copy and paste, but somebody on here said the Sox roster in 2019 compared favorably to Minnesota's. I guess Minnie knows how to do the tank/rebuild dance better than the White Sox. BTW, greg predicts a fight in the Royals series. There were some hit batsmen vs. KC earlier and all they care about is beating/fighting the Sox. We.Shall.See.

41 minutes ago, pcq said:

The Twins have had some success rebuilding on the fly. More than the home team. Some bold moves with management as mentioned. Their players know they can beat us. 

Rebuilding on the fly is the job of a GOOD front office.

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Rebuilding on the fly is the job of a GOOD front office.

This would have been a much better team this year if Kopech and Rodon were in the starting rotation. It will be curious to see what the front office does this off season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Wowsie. That was a statement series if there ever was one. Let the tank season commence. Typical Sox, out of it just as the kids get out of school. Not that that's my concern. Hopefully crowd numbers will be so miniscule all season. We overachieved for a good while. Hope Ricky and Hahn can motivate the young stars of the future to work on their games despite being out of the race very early again.

Yeah, what a statement. The best team in baseball swept one of the bottom tier teams. If that doesn't scare the Yankees, Astros and Red Sox I don't know what will!

Twins core is good now... Kepler, Buxton, Gibson, Grossman(who is gone) had they're struggles. Wonder how twins fans reacted.. Cause if it would have been here people would be calling for dfa's and demotions. I think the twins are riding a good wave right now. Division is weak and a few of there additions are working out. Martin Perez specially

5 hours ago, flavum said:

Twins 18-8 on the road and home. Credit due.

Sox would have been better off trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana, then getting right back to filling in the gaps and hoping. In fact, get to it next offseason.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't understand this post. 

Do you mean that they would have been better off trading Sale/Eaton/Quintana "instead of" [READ: THAN] getting right back.....

OR

Did you mean that they would have been better off trading Sale/Eaton/Quintana and thereafter [READ: the sequential "THEN"], getting right back to filling in the gaps...  

Thanks. And Modelo thanks Two-Gun Pete.

[Announcer Voice] Modelo: Proud Sponsor of Two-Gun Pete. [/Announcer Voice]

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

18 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Twins core is good now... Kepler, Buxton, Gibson, Grossman(who is gone) had they're struggles. Wonder how twins fans reacted.. Cause if it would have been here people would be calling for dfa's and demotions. I think the twins are riding a good wave right now. Division is weak and a few of there additions are working out. Martin Perez specially

U forgot about Berrios, Polanco, Sano, and Rosario. U also forgot about the Twins firing their Front office and manager. 

Twins fans were also very patient as they have been rebuilding since 2011. If the Sox follow their timeline then we are in store for another 4 years of terrible baseball. 

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't understand this post. 

Do you mean that they would have been better off trading Sale/Eaton/Quintana "instead of" [READ: THAN] getting right back.....

OR

Did you mean that they would have been better off trading Sale/Eaton/Quintana and thereafter [READ: the sequential "THEN"], getting right back to filling in the gaps...  

Thanks. And Modelo thanks Two-Gun Pete.

[Announcer Voice] Modelo: Proud Sponsor of Two-Gun Pete. [/Announcer Voice]

If I meant than, I would have written than.

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

If I meant than, I would have written than.

Cool. There's a proclivity of "than/then," "their/there/they're," and other confused words here.

That said, if you're suggesting that they should have traded Sale/Eaton/Quintana, then go right back to doing what they were trying to do from 2012 - 2016, I disagree. I think it was right to sell assets for future assets, but that every last turd in the front office should have been fired the moment the Shields trade went down. [And therefore, better decisions would have been made in terms of the "Tear-Down" phase, the "Asset Agglomeration" phase, and now, the "Youngster Development/FA Supplementation" phase of the rebuild.] 

I think that better/smarter decision-makers would have gotten this rebuild a lot closer to fruition than these ass-clowns have done so far. I also think that going right back to gap-filling would have been the wrong thing to do, at least with the extant FO. YMMV.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Minnesota is #1 in the MLB in runs scored by 30 and OPS by 20 and less in most other categories.

The White Sox are rebuilding.  

What did people really expect to happen?

I expected the team so show up.... and it didn't/

Yeah I expected us to get beat.. .maybe not swept.. but not dominated like we were a AA team

Id be fired if I performed like this team did for 3 days in a row.

I'd be done like Zavala swinging at a fastball down the middle.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Love the excuses. If the Sox players are that intimidated by playing in front of a sold out park in Minnesota then it is time to strip the roster and get new players. 

Also, any Sox fan with half a brain should be concerned about Minnesota suddenly looking very good.Those dudes do play in our division after all. 

Will it be okay to b**** if they are still kicking our asses this time next year?  

Excuses? For f*ck sake. 

Minnesota spent years in the sh*tter, and have finally started to play competitive baseball. They are a good baseball team as currently constructed. It was bound to happen, because unlike the White Sox, they chose to rebuild years ago, and not continue to drag mediocre squad through the mud and call it a competitive unit. 

The White Sox are currently amidst a complete ground zero rebuild, have a lineup with more holes in it than a fine Swiss cheese and a pitching rotation with effectively one guy who is established for the future, and a bunch of guys who are looking like pen arms at best (MAYBE Lopez turns it around, but it's looking bleak, and I don't have much faith that Covey can put his stuff together consistently). 

Those aren't excuses, those are the facts. If you want to brush them off, that's your prerogative, but don't b*tch at other people because you choose to live in blissful ignorance. 

Edited by Dan of Steel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

U forgot about Berrios, Polanco, Sano, and Rosario. U also forgot about the Twins firing their Front office and manager. 

Twins fans were also very patient as they have been rebuilding since 2011. If the Sox follow their timeline then we are in store for another 4 years of terrible baseball. 

When you start the rebuild with pieces like Sale, Q and Eaton the process should go faster.

8 hours ago, harkness99 said:

I expected the team so show up.... and it didn't/

Yeah I expected us to get beat.. .maybe not swept.. but not dominated like we were a AA team

Id be fired if I performed like this team did for 3 days in a row.

I'd be done like Zavala swinging at a fastball down the middle.

would you have been promoted in the previous series when the took a split in the series from arguably a better team and the best team in the MLB?

then get fired in 3 days?