Embrace The Tank!!!

OneDog847

The Twins just made this Sox team look a AAA squad. This series should put to rest any thoughts that the Sox have any chance to compete this year or next. 

It is time to embrace the tank. Remember that Houston punted away 5 consecutive seasons. Minnesota has been in a rebuild since 2011. This is only year 3 of the Sox rebuild.

The Sox need to continue to stock the farm with top 5 picks.  It's time to take our losses on the chin over the next few years and hopefully we can get after it in 2022 or so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

It is time to embrace the tank. Remember that Houston punted away 5 consecutive seasons. Minnesota has been in a rebuild since 2011. This is only year 3 of the Sox rebuild.

By that calendar, this is year 7 of the Sox rebuild.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Nah. Get the young blood up and see what they can do.

Embrace the tank is just sticking course with Covey, Nova, Alonso and company.

I mean...that's probably what they are going to do 

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

My concern is that the young blood is not as good as advertised. 

Cease should be up by the all star break. Maybe Collins too. Neither of those guys are gonna push the needle much though. 

The losing isn't stopping on the South Side anytime soon and that is okay. Top 5 picks are more important than wins and losses right now. 

It is hard to embrace this tank after the Twins series. It's even harder after watching game three. They had only two guys in the lineup that you would consider part of the team's future. They brought up a young catcher who made a throwing error and looked totally over-matched at the plate. Poor guy struck out five straight times. This club reminds me of the 1970 team that lost 106. I know they won't lose 100, but they just don't look like a major league team, not even a bad one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

It is hard to embrace this tank after the Twins series. It's even harder after watching game three. They had only two guys in the lineup that you would consider part of the team's future. They brought up a young catcher who made a throwing error and looked totally over-matched at the plate. Poor guy struck out five straight times. This club reminds me of the 1970 team that lost 106. I know they won't lose 100, but they just don't look like a major league team, not even a bad one.

Rebuilds aren't linear just like prospect development. The Sox rebuild might have to take a few steps (years) back before it can go forward. 

The only way the Sox can compete next year is if Jerry spends like a drunken sailor. Even signing Cole, Rendon, Ozuna, and Grandal might not be enough as the bullpen will still be bad and the rotation will be relying on a bunch of young kids with fragile arms. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Real said:

it's gonna suck when cease and dunning are average major leaguers at best

A ton is riding on the shoulders of Cease and Kopech. JR will never pony up for an elite starting pitcher so we need Cease/Kopech to be our version of Degrom/Thor if we want to succeed. No pressure there lol. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I would like Robert, Cease, Madrigal and Collings up as soon as the baseball people deem possible.  Surround them with competent yet average major league players happy to have a place for a year or two.  Note: Not overpriced has-beens.  Take your lumps but learn against the best so they see what it's about.  We've seen Anderson, Moncada, & Giolito all improve as they figure it out.  Jimenez is now doing the same thing.  I think the Sox fan base got shell shocked by the early call up of Gordon Beckham.  It is different to be called up as part of a developing group than to be called up to be the saving face of the franchise.  Let them grow for a year or two and then take your swing at those sought after stars.  Also, would really help hold fan interest and enthusiasm before we lose half the current fan base.

I don't know how good Minnesota's farm system is but they seem to have some good young players and a front office that knows what they are doing. Assuming the Sox rebuild works, it looks like those who thought they were going to dominate the division will be in for a surprise. Like days gone by the Twins won't be going anywhere and will be in a position to fight the Sox for the Central.

2 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

A ton is riding on the shoulders of Cease and Kopech. JR will never pony up for an elite starting pitcher so we need Cease/Kopech to be our version of Degrom/Thor if we want to succeed. No pressure there lol. 

Some fans are assuming Cease and Kopech will be dominating pitchers. Maybe they will be, but I'm not assuming anything. I know nothing of Cease, but Kopech needs to work on his command on his return.

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The question is when will the Sox be in a position to fight the Twins for the Central?  

Good point which is why I qualified my original comment. No guarantees with this ownership / front office that it all works out in the end.

7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Some fans are assuming Cease and Kopech will be dominating pitchers. Maybe they will be, but I'm not assuming anything. I know nothing of Cease, but Kopech needs to work on his command on his return.

Hopefully both Cease and Kopech will be good pitchers in 2020. If not, its going to be another long season. I'm hoping that Cease is brought up this year. (hopefully sooner rather  than later) Having Cease up here this year will let him get some experience at the MLB level.

4 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

The Twins just made this Sox team look a AAA squad. This series should put to rest any thoughts that the Sox have any chance to compete this year or next. 

The Sox need to continue to stock the farm with top 5 picks.  It's time to take our losses on the chin over the next few years and hopefully we can get after it in 2022 or so. 

The "wait til next year" mantra grows old. Never thought I'd be of a fan of the team that every May can have customers utter, "Wait til next year." Of course I'm not talking about you, you are going the 2022 route. I wish it was like the old days when attendance mattered to the bottom line. Sox could not afford to do this b.s. tank crap in the past. Attendance would have been under 10,000 per game and the team would have had to move.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The "wait til next year" mantra grows old. Never thought I'd be of a fan of the team that every May can have customers utter, "Wait til next year." Of course I'm not talking about you, you are going the 2022 route. I wish it was like the old days when attendance mattered to the bottom line. Sox could not afford to do this b.s. tank crap in the past. Attendance would have been under 10,000 per game and the team would have had to move.

As I've said in other posts...watch what they do with Abreu & Colome...If they are going to take a long time view they will trade both at the deadline.  If they think contention is near they need both a closer and a thumper.

19 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2021. Been saying it for a year now and sticking to it.

2021 seems realistic only if JR opens up the wallet. That will be the full first year for guys like Madrigal and Robert. First full year back from TJ for Kopech and Rodon. 

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You might be on to something here. Is it just a coincidence that JR finally decided to tank once he knew that attendance didn't matter much to his bottom line? 

5 hours ago, Quin said:

+1. If we lose we lose with the young guys growing togheter

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

2021. Been saying it for a year now and sticking to it.

I agree. I think next year will happen like 99. They started off bad but some kids came up and played better than they won the division in 2000

• Love 1

5 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

I agree that this should put an end to mouthbreathing morons that think that this SHITTY roster, with this SHITTY coaching staff, and THOSE morons in the front office has a snowball's chance in hell of competing this or next year.

But, this kinda was a AAA squad out there today: Tilson and Cordell starting in the OF? Rondon and Sanchez the middle IF pair? Alonzo, not only in the 25 man roster, but starting and hitting 4th? Zavala rushed up, because they stupidly protected some other scrub instead of Smith? Covey as SP? Renteria as manager?

By my count, that's 6 position players that probably wouldn't start for ANY decent team, an SP that's probably a long reliever on a decent team, and a manager that shouldn't be a manager in MLB, and possibly, not even in MiLB.

All I can think is, "Godspeed, Hostetler. Do better than you've done hereto fore."

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

6 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

AA more like it

To those who live in Chicago ... are people embracing the tank? Are the Sox generating any buzz in the local sports scene? Are they relegated to 10 seconds on the sportscasts or popular? Has the team finally become an afterthought, almost like a minor league team compared to the Cubs?