Embrace The Tank!!!

OneDog847

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

It seems a perfectly logical baseball decision to spend what money is available on several very good players rather than 1 excellent player.  Whatever RH and the FO feel is maximizing the available resources.  What they decide to get with those resources is the question.  Harping on the Alonso/Jay stuff is water under the bridge.  I personally hope available money goes to pitching, pitching and more pitching.  Never have enough.  The every day lineup is looking better all the time.  When the Alonso situation is resolved and Robert arrives it will take care of itself.

Well, therein lies the rub. “RH and the FO” don’t have a good track record at deciding who to get with their resources.  In fact, they have a pretty lousy record at doing so.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Well, therein lies the rub. “RH and the FO” don’t have a good track record at deciding who to get with their resources.  In fact, they have a pretty lousy record at doing so.  

As I said...water under the bridge.  The owner isn't going to fire himself.  We need to hope they have seen the light.  I have my own problems with some of the moves we've made but they also have created a system with Anderson, Mocada, Jimenez, Giolito, Robert, Madrigal, Cease, Lopez, McCann, Tilson, Rodon, Marshall, Bummer and Colome.  That ain't all bad.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Any comment that has an semblance of positive vibes gets the laugh emoji now.  Its a joke. Can we scrub this board and get rid of the trolls?  

yes. you aren't in the in crowd unless you are negative. its high school again.

I shouldn't say that they could very well be in high school which then it would be common behavior.

Edited by ptatc
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yesterday Robert went 4 for 5 with 3 rbi and a walk off double.  Not long now!

I don't think Robert will be up this year. Most likely late April 2020. 

However, Robert is a Sox prospect, so he will likely require a 1000 at bats or so in the Show to '"adjust".  He probably needs to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

However, Robert is a Sox prospect, so he will likely require a 1000 at bats or so in the Show to '"adjust".  He probably needs to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020. 

? Tim Anderson was very good his rookie year. So was Gordon Beckham, it was just downhill for him after that.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Any comment that has an semblance of positive vibes gets the laugh emoji now.  Its a joke. Can we scrub this board and get rid of the trolls?  

Was just about to say the same thing

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

That is the reason I push for people like Robert and Cease for sooner rather than later.  It seems no matter what you do...there is a period of adjustment for most prospect.  There is something to be said for playing against the best.

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep, it's become the new "confused guy" emoji of a year ago or so, being similarly utilized by whatever handle tommyfootlongo is using these days

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

? Tim Anderson was very good his rookie year. So was Gordon Beckham, it was just downhill for him after that.

What about Anderson's sophomore year? 

Look at Moncada and Eloy. 

Sox prospects just do not come right away and succeed and then continue to dominate. I hope Luis Robert turns into an Acuna or Gleyber Torres but I wouldn't bet on it. Kid is gonna need a full season or two of seasoning. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

What about Anderson's sophomore year? 

Look at Moncada and Eloy. 

Sox prospects just do not come right away and succeed and then continue to dominate. I hope Luis Robert turns into an Acuna or Gleyber Torres but I wouldn't bet on it. Kid is gonna need a full season or two of seasoning. 

It didn’t take Anderson or Beckham a 1000 or so bats to “adjust” to the Show as you stated above. They were extremely productive in their rookie seasons.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It didn’t take Anderson or Beckham a 1000 or so bats to “adjust” to the Show as you stated above. They were extremely productive in their rookie seasons.

Beckham never adjusted at all. 

Anderson came out like gangbusters but then regressed big time so yes it did take him a 1000 thousand or so at bats to "adjust". 

Edited by OneDog847

4 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Beckham never adjusted at all. 

Anderson came out like gangbusters but then regressed big time so yes it did take him a 1000 thousand or so at bats to "adjust". 

Beckham and Anderson both had a higher fWAR their rookie seasons than Gleyber Torres did last year in even less games. 

You said:

“However, Robert is a Sox prospect, so he will likely require a 1000 at bats or so in the Show to '"adjust".  He probably needs to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020.”

I pointed out two relatively recent Sox position player prospects that excelled in their rookie seasons. So why exactly does Robert need to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020?

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You said:

“However, Robert is a Sox prospect, so he will likely require a 1000 at bats or so in the Show to '"adjust".  He probably needs to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020.”

I pointed out two relatively recent Sox position player prospects that excelled in their rookie seasons. So why exactly does Robert need to be up after the All Star break this year if the Sox are hoping to compete in 2020?

I kinda agree with the premise that he should come up before 2020 if they want to compete, but not because he's a 'Sox Prospect'. If he has a weakness to be exposed it's best to find about it now. 

Edited by mqr

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, OneDog847 said:

Rebuilds aren't linear just like prospect development. The Sox rebuild might have to take a few steps (years) back before it can go forward. 

The only way the Sox can compete next year is if Jerry spends like a drunken sailor. Even signing Cole, Rendon, Ozuna, and Grandal might not be enough as the bullpen will still be bad and the rotation will be relying on a bunch of young kids with fragile arms. 

I agree, spending like drunken sailors is what begot them James Shields.  Sox front office gives drunken sailors a bad name.

34 minutes ago, mqr said:

I kinda agree with the premise that he should come up before 2020 if they want to compete, but not because he's a 'Sox Prospect'. If he has a weakness to be exposed it's best to find about it now. 

He was taking a shot at the Sox organization, again. But I also agree that he should be up sooner than late April 2020. Not for the reasons Onedog mentioned but because I think Robert is ready.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, ptatc said:

Everyone has a right to he concerned, however going back in history doesn't really apply  The current head of the draft took over in 2016 with many new scouts and staff.

you can live in the past or look at what really matters and judge the current group by what they have done. it is a mixed success in the minors and majors but to judge this group by what happened with previous regimes isn't really applicable.

Three things I judge the performance of Executive VP of Baseball Operations in past decade are team's performance (grade F), attendance (F), and casual fan interest (this is more subjective, but I give him an F.  There are rarely positive reactions from casual sports fans when subject of White Sox is broached.  They include sympathy, puzzlement, howls of laughter, etc.).  

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are plenty of things to be positive about, and there are plenty of reasons to be beyond frustrated. 

I didnt know this, but Moncada has at least  one hit in 36 of his 49 games this year. 

He had 15 hitless games out of his first 50 last season. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He had 15 hitless games out of his first 50 last season. 

Moncada wasn't showing the power that he is this year though. He had like 4 HR through June 1. 

I happen to believe that injury he had that cost him most of May 2018 had more to do with his poor season last year than anything else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada wasn't showing the power that he is this year though. He had like 4 HR through June 1. 

Because I already have it selected on B-R, he had 8 home runs through his first 50 games. 7 on June 1, but that was after only playing 45 games/30 fewer plate appearances than he's had so far this year.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because I already have it selected on B-R, he had 8 home runs through his first 50 games. 7 on June 1, but that was after only playing 45 games/30 fewer plate appearances than he's had so far this year.

So you think he's a worse player this year than last year then, Because the on base is worse, and you expect him to be the same guy at the end of the season this year as he was last year. Let's let it play out and we'll see

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

So you think he's a worse player this year than last year then, Because the on base is worse, and you expect him to be the same guy at the end of the season this year as he was last year. Let's let it play out and we'll see

As of right now, his May would have fit totally in with his 2018 season and looked totally normal compared to every other month.

His April 2019 is the only month of his career where he really shined. Low-K rate, spectacular overall numbers. But he didn't maintain that low K-rate through May, he went right back to his old habits in May. 

Can he do what he did in April again because April 2019 Moncada is an all star? Or does May 2019 mean that April was the anomaly that he can't repeat? I don't know, but I will say I'm very disappointed he couldn't keep up the improved approach into this month.