5/27 Games

SoxAce

Once Madrigal gets that BA up to 290 or so I hope they promote him to Birmingham. Not much left for him to prove in Winston Salem. No he hasn’t hit for power but he has a BA of 290 and OBP of 350 with 20 stolen bases and just 11 strikeouts in 69 games at WS between last year and this year. 

55 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Once Madrigal gets that BA up to 290 or so I hope they promote him to Birmingham. Not much left for him to prove in Winston Salem. No he hasn’t hit for power but he has a BA of 290 and OBP of 350 with 20 stolen bases and just 11 strikeouts in 69 games at WS between last year and this year. 

I wouldn’t promote him until he starts pulling the ball consistently in a favorable level. This has not been a successful year to me even with the barrage lately.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn’t promote him until he starts pulling the ball consistently in a favorable level. This has not been a successful year to me even with the barrage lately.

I love that the kid hardly makes errors and seems to have terrific range at 2b. His 989 fielding percentage in the minors is fantastic. Between the glove and baserunning, he could be a very solid contributor even with just a ~675 OPS in the bigs.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I love that the kid hardly makes errors and seems to have terrific range at 2b. His 989 fielding percentage in the minors is fantastic. Between the glove and baserunning, he could be a very solid contributor even with just a ~675 OPS in the bigs.

The white Sox should demand that they can get more than that from his offensive profile from their development staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I'm not sure I would want him in AA until at least the midseason all-star break down there. Even then, I want sustained success. The concept of rushing him I think goes away when you're seeing the clear weaknesses in his offensive game. Moving him to AA, where he's likely to struggle out of the gate, isn't the best environment for him to make adjustments to his swing and approach.

I wonder if he will end up like Whit Merrifield as a bit of a late bloomer because of his approach.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, danman31 said:

I'm not sure I would want him in AA until at least the midseason all-star break down there. Even then, I want sustained success. The concept of rushing him I think goes away when you're seeing the clear weaknesses in his offensive game. Moving him to AA, where he's likely to struggle out of the gate, isn't the best environment for him to make adjustments to his swing and approach.

I wonder if he will end up like Whit Merrifield as a bit of a late bloomer because of his approach.

I’m thinking the Sox want him in MLB for at least half of next season. With that in mind, I’m thinking a promotion to AA shortly after the June draft aligns with their timeline.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

he's learning how to pull the ball and take walks. I would say it is a successful year so far. if the strikeouts begin to increase as he pulls the ball more I way need to change that opinion. 

36 minutes ago, danman31 said:

I'm not sure he'll struggle as some of the others have at Birmingham.  That place saps all HRs and makes the hitters change. He doesn't try for the HR anyway so it plays to his game.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure he'll struggle as some of the others have at Birmingham.  That place saps all HRs and makes the hitters change. He doesn't try for the HR anyway so it plays to his game.

I wouldn't expect him to struggle in the same way many of the other prospects have, but it's still a level up for a guy who has only been OK in High-A. Outside of his extremely low strikeout rate, there's nothing about his High-A performance that screams it's time for a promotion.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

he's learning how to pull the ball and take walks. I would say it is a successful year so far. if the strikeouts begin to increase as he pulls the ball more I way need to change that opinion. 

That we don’t know the answer is why we don’t promote him yet, but I’d like him at at least a .130 iso before he is promoted

29 minutes ago, danman31 said:

I wouldn't expect him to struggle in the same way many of the other prospects have, but it's still a level up for a guy who has only been OK in High-A. Outside of his extremely low strikeout rate, there's nothing about his High-A performance that screams it's time for a promotion.

Excellent D, baserunning, contact skills and plate discipline. The ONLY thing he isn’t doing right now is hitting for power. And that isn’t much of a surprise 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

Excellent D, baserunning, contact skills and plate discipline. The ONLY thing he isn’t doing right now is hitting for power. And that isn’t much of a surprise 

His walk rate is only OK and ideally you'd like to see the batting average/on-base higher if he's not going to hit for power. I'm not saying he's been doing poorly, just that I want to see more before any rush to promote him.

7 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

Good post I will take this guy everyday of the week on my team, he knows how to play the game of Baseball something the White Sox have not had for a long time.

34 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

The whole getting hits thing is something he was supposed to do at a great rate and he isn’t. It’s simple, if he doesn’t hit for power, he better be a .300 hitting machine to be the impact player some project.  Right now he’s a dime a dozen middle infielder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

The whole getting hits thing is something he was supposed to do at a great rate and he isn’t. It’s simple, if he doesn’t hit for power, he better be a .300 hitting machine to be the impact player some project.  Right now he’s a dime a dozen middle infielder.

It’s not like he’s hitting .200. If five of his outs were hits, he’d be batting over .300 right now. It’s way to early to say that he’s not getting enough hits.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It’s not like he’s hitting .200. If five of his outs were hits, he’d be batting over .300 right now. It’s way to early to say that he’s not getting enough hits.

He hasn’t been unlucky though. People shouldn’t be comforted by his stats, he was a polished college hitter repeating high A.

If he was hitting the ball hard and getting outs it’s one thing, but you could easily point to bad defense as inflating his batting average.

He has to tap into more power. That doesn’t mean Luis Robert power but it means more than a sub 100 iso.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

He hasn’t been unlucky though. People shouldn’t be comforted by his stats, he was a polished college hitter repeating high A.

If he was hitting the ball hard and getting outs it’s one thing, but you could easily point to bad defense as inflating his batting average.

He has to tap into more power. That doesn’t mean Luis Robert power but it means more than a sub 100 iso.

All fair points. I haven’t watched any of his at bats, so I couldn’t tell you if he’s been lucky or it he’s been hitting shots right at guys. 

I don’t think many people are comforted by his stats. I just think it’s too early to panic, like some seem to be doing. 

• Like 1

For context, a very good Madrigal comp is Luis Urias, who is a short, low power 2b (not rod Carew).

Urias as a 19 year old hit .330/.397/.440 in A+.

Madrigal as a 22 year old is hitting .271/.341/.373.

Urias as a 22 year old is now hitting in AAA is hitting .351/.442/.731.

It’s disappointing.