Leury García player value question

Greg Hibbard

It will be nice when our outfield fills out and Leary’s versatility can be used.

I wouldn’t hold his career OBP against him, it is heavily weighed down by his age 23 season when a crappy team forced him into action before he was ready.

Ive always liked Leury because he actually hits the way people always thought Yolmer hits and finally this year people are figuring out how much more valuable that is.

32 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's one of those guys who ideally would be moved, but his value is probably higher to the Sox than other teams are willing to pay.

In pure throw-away seasons, he would be moved anyway.  But this year he'll probably stay.

I don't really think so. I don't think his value is that high, I don't think you cry even if he leaves. You just be happy that the sox developed a competent player internally that is valuable depth moving forward.

Like, of course you look to upgrade over Leury, but he's also not someone you cut to get a AAA guy a look unless they are a top prospect.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really think so. I don't think his value is that high, I don't think you cry even if he leaves. You just be happy that the sox developed a competent player internally that is valuable depth moving forward.

Like, of course you look to upgrade over Leury, but he's also not someone you cut to get a AAA guy a look unless they are a top prospect.

I think Leury is a competent player who could find a spot on most major league rosters.  He is extension worthy.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think Leury is a competent player who could find a spot on most major league rosters.  He is extension worthy.

Spot, yes, I think he has a spot here through our contending years. Starter role, only on a rebuilding club.

The most amazing development this season is that for the first time in recent memory the Sox have a good 25 man roster without major position player holes.  Leury and Yolmer and Cordell and Tilson aren't world beaters but they aren't --2 WAR craters either.  Could have used a few more of these guys from 2008-2016.

Whoever is doing the scouting is doing a better job finding 1 WAR types for basically free.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The most amazing development this season is that for the first time in recent memory the Sox have a good 25 man roster without major position player holes.  Leury and Yolmer and Cordell and Tilson aren't world beaters but they aren't --2 WAR craters either.  Could have used a few more of these guys from 2008-2016.

Whoever is doing the scouting is doing a better job finding 1 WAR types for basically free.

well, 24.

Just now, bmags said:

well, 24.

actually 23.

Castillo is one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball and bad defensively It will be hard for him to be a positive player without a big turnaround.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

actually 23.

Castillo is one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball and bad defensively It will be hard for him to be a positive player without a big turnaround.

It would help if he was used exclusively against lefties but that won't happen whenever he's back.

It would help if he was used exclusively against lefties but that won't happen whenever he's back.

His splits against righties were actually better than mccann's before the season. He just straight up sucks now. He was mysteriously much better at framing/defense in his last year in baltimore then got here and evaporated despite our strong player development for catchers.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

His splits against righties were actually better than mccann's before the season. He just straight up sucks now. He was mysteriously much better at framing/defense in his last year in baltimore then got here and evaporated despite our strong player development for catchers.

There should be an agreement in the next CBA that if a guy gets popped for PEDs the team has an option to void his contract.  Sox were put in a tough spot with Castillo although I still think he's a decent platoon catcher.  His splits in 30 or whatever games this year don't really indicate much.  He has a .214 BABIP and while some of that can be put down to soft contact not all of it.  Regress him 70 points to a modest 284 and he's about right in line with his career average 99 wRC+.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There should be an agreement in the next CBA that if a guy gets popped for PEDs the team has an option to void his contract.  Sox were put in a tough spot with Castillo although I still think he's a decent platoon catcher.  His splits in 30 or whatever games this year don't really indicate much.  He has a .214 BABIP and while some of that can be put down to soft contact not all of it.  Regress him 70 points to a modest 284 and he's about right in line with his career average 99 wRC+.

I wish they'd just bring Collins up and make Castillo into the LHP DH and occasional catcher against LHP when someone not named Giolito or Lopez are on the mound. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yup, it would be pretty ideal.   Palka should be up as well for Yonder obviously.

Yah, Collins and Palka wouldn't really coexist on this roster IMO unless you want Palka pretty much exclusively playing the OF. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, Collins and Palka wouldn't really coexist on this roster IMO unless you want Palka pretty much exclusively playing the OF. 

There's what, like 24 starts a week at C/DH/1B/RF?  5 starts go to James at C.  One goes to Collins at C, two more go to Collins at DH.  Jose gets 5 at 1B, 1 at DH and Palka gets 3DH and 1 RF.  Cordell/Tilson get the remaining 5 starts in RF.

Collins would be the odd man out most nights but I'd still prefer him getting 15 PA a week and a big league catching start to time in AAA.  Don't think he has anything left to develop down there.

There's what, like 24 starts a week at C/DH/1B/RF?  5 starts go to James at C.  One goes to Collins at C, two more go to Collins at DH.  Jose gets 5 at 1B, 1 at DH and Palka gets 3DH and 1 RF.  Cordell/Tilson get the remaining 5 starts in RF.

Collins would be the odd man out most nights but I'd still prefer him getting 15 PA a week and a big league catching start to time in AAA.  Don't think he has anything left to develop down there.

The way I see it:

Against RHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Palka RF, Eloy LF, McCann C, Anderson SS, Collins DH (catch 1-2x per week, McCann DH), Yolmer 2B.

BN: Cordell, Castillo, Rondon/Mendick

Against LHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, McCann C, Anderson SS, Castillo DH (catch 1x per week, McCann DH), Cordell RF, Yolmer 2B.

BN: Palka, Collins, Rondon/Mendick

There is pretty much no way Palka and Collins can co-exist as they both suck against LHP and both should DH more often than not.  The only way is if you play Palka in RF.  Which honestly I am fine with. 

His Versatility is nice, but he’s never going to hit enough to be a regular on a championship caliber team (unless we have 7 other great starters) and his D is solid but not anything special. If you can keep him around for cheap as a backup he’s a nice guy to have on the roster, but I wouldn’t pay him much and I can’t see a team giving up anything of value for him  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The way I see it:

Against RHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Palka RF, Eloy LF, McCann C, Anderson SS, Collins DH (catch 1-2x per week, McCann DH), Yolmer 2B.

BN: Cordell, Castillo, Rondon/Mendick

Against LHP: Leury CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, McCann C, Anderson SS, Castillo DH (catch 1x per week, McCann DH), Cordell RF, Yolmer 2B.

BN: Palka, Collins, Rondon/Mendick

There is pretty much no way Palka and Collins can co-exist as they both suck against LHP and both should DH more often than not.  The only way is if you play Palka in RF.  Which honestly I am fine with. 

Good point about the splits on Palka and Collins.  I can't go back to Palka in RF.   For now it looks like it's either Collins or Palka for Yonder.

41 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

His Versatility is nice, but he’s never going to hit enough to be a regular on a championship caliber team (unless we have 7 other great starters) and his D is solid but not anything special. If you can keep him around for cheap as a backup he’s a nice guy to have on the roster, but I wouldn’t pay him much and I can’t see a team giving up anything of value for him  

Solid defense at 2b,ss and cf. real good bench piece on a good team. Can pinch hit and pinch run. Replace a hit first type in late innings with a lead.

i'd bet a lot of teams would want him. I think he's only 28, so will be productive for a while yet.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:38 AM, zisk said:

Solid defense at 2b,ss and cf. real good bench piece on a good team. Can pinch hit and pinch run. Replace a hit first type in late innings with a lead.

i'd bet a lot of teams would want him. I think he's only 28, so will be productive for a while yet.

I'm Leury's Soxtalk daddy for those of you who remember AAP (adopt a prospect) so y'all be nice to my boy.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:49 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy is well on pace to be --2 WAR crater. At least for this year anyways. baseball is a crazy game.