Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Happ and Alzolay from the Cubs. I doubt that they'll trade Hoerner. Alzolay helps now because they can slide him in their rotation and it gives them another arm with upside. Happ gives them a competent 2B and RF. 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

What are realistic expectations for a guy that was traded for Omar Narvaez? It feels like teams would be looking at Colome as a guy they could get for nothing 

Colome is not going anywhere for the likes of Narvaez.  For someone that views their need for a back of rotation arm to be the missing piece...you can extract a very stiff price.  Ask a Cub fan about that.  

26 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

A story in MLB.com said that there were scouts from 5 or 6 teams looking at Colome this week.

Competition is good to drive up the price.  I would think the best offer (if it is a prospect) would be in the 50-100 range

He will do better than a 50-100 IMO.  Worth his weight in gold to someone in need of just one premium arm.

31 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Trade Colome and sign Kimbrel

I feel like teams are going to wait until after Kimbrel signs (and thus after the draft) to read for Colome. Whoever loses out on the Kimbrel sweepstakes will have to pony up a prospect for Colome. I imagine contenders' priorities likely lay in spending money without giving up a player first, and then trade prospects for Colome as a consolation prize.

Half this board thinks Madrigal is nothing and guys like him are a dime a dozen.  Those same people would give a #3 like Madrigal away in a deal for a closer if that stood between winning or not.  All of a sudden the thought is that 50-100 is the price.  Wait it out...someone will pay up.

35 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Half this board thinks Madrigal is nothing and guys like him are a dime a dozen.  Those same people would give a #3 like Madrigal away in a deal for a closer if that stood between winning or not.  All of a sudden the thought is that 50-100 is the price.  Wait it out...someone will pay up.

I would not trade Nick Madrigal for Alex Colome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That extra year of control is worth a lot.  Waiting to trade him you risk 1) injury, 2) performance dip and for sure 3) less trade value due to less control for acquiring club

If you chase two rabbits you'll lose them both.  Learned that in Civ 4.  Just trade him while he's at peak value.  The Sox can find a closer when they are good.

Ah, a gentleman of taste I see. Your lesson was a lot better than mine, which was "Don't fuck with Ghandi after the Industrial Era."

Haven't found a situation where that was useful yet, but I am hopeful.

Edited by gusguyman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Narvaez is good not decent and he is becoming great. 

All around, Narvaez is very decent.  He is not anywhere near good enough of defender to be considered a good catcher, and he's too light hitting to be a 1B or DH.  

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If Colome gets traded I just hope the team gets something decent  in return. I don't want another David Robertson for Blake Rutherford trade.

Yes, let's avoid acquiring a top 50 prospect for a RP because the last similar trade has not reaped immediate benefits.  BRILLIANT I SAY, JUST BRILLIANT!  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

All around, Narvaez is very decent.  He is not anywhere near good enough of defender to be considered a good catcher, and he's too light hitting to be a 1B or DH.  

He's still a terrible catcher defensively. The advanced metrics hated him last year, but they hate him slightly less this year. 

With how bad our DHs have been historically, I'd take his consistent 120 wRC+ there. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I would not trade Nick Madrigal for Alex Colome.

Neither would I,  I'm saying their are highly drafted people who are expendable to some organizations.  Some guy is good but blocked, etc. You don't need to settle for some 50-100 crap shot.

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He's still a terrible catcher defensively. The advanced metrics hated him last year, but they hate him slightly less this year. 

With how bad our DHs have been historically, I'd take his consistent 120 wRC+ there. 

He wouldn’t be a 120 wRC+ DH though without significant improvement.