Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

11 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Thats who i was thinking. Switch hitting OF with 60 Arm and 60 field grades. OPS .859 at AA at age 20.

Definitely the most realistic suggestion mentioned as he is currently #63 on the MLB Top 100 list.  However, his lack of HRs and his walk-to-strikeout rate scare me.  But he’s only 20.  Would be worth taking a chance on him for 1.5 years of Colome.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Thats who i was thinking. Switch hitting OF with 60 Arm and 60 field grades. OPS .859 at AA at age 20.

And they are going to have a log jam in the OF with Waters being oddman out.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

43 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

It was also his first few months in the minors I believe but yes there were power questions.

Still, it is not unreasonable that we could land someone in the 50-60 range for Colome.  Lots of teams need pen help.

I just remember KLaw going from saying Blake looked awesome in 2016 and then saying how awful he looked in 2017.

I do think that the White Sox should ask for a haul for Colome or else whats the point of trading him? Colome is still under contract for next year and they White Sox clearly are trying to compete in 2020.  You could then try to extend him if you don't have a viable replacement when his deal is up. 

If you look at the free agent class next year it leaves much to be desired on the relieving market which makes him even more valuable to any team and harder to replace for the White Sox. 

IMO, It should be a top 100 guy and a legit lottery ticket at the least. 

Edited by kwill

7 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Just the kind of return we need.  For once we are in the drivers seat.  Colome is a top grade closer and those come in limited supply.  I hope that nothing lures RH into some team pulling a Bummer/Colome combo.  I really want Bummer on the Sox for a long time.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Just the kind of return we need.  For once we are in the drivers seat.  Colome is a top grade closer and those come in limited supply.  I hope that nothing lures RH into some team pulling a Bummer/Colome combo.  I really want Bummer on the Sox for a long time.

Just to stress, "Top grade closers" are currently not in a "limited supply" on this trade market. Here's ones that are possibly available depending on which teams sell, most of which have stats comparable to or better than Colome.
Edwin Diaz
Shane Greene
Ken Giles
Will Smith
Greg Holland

Some others who could get on the list if teams who are at the edge of competitive get antsy include Brad Hand, Felipe Vazquez, Raisel Iglesias, and if the Padres got a top offer Kirby Yates. I doubt any of those latter guys do get moved, but I think we'll see 4-5 closers get dealt this deadline since there's no reason for teams to hold those first few guys. If teams want guys with multiple years of control, single years of control cheaply, 1 arbitration year, long term deals, literally all of that could be available. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to stress, "Top grade closers" are currently not in a "limited supply" on this trade market. Here's ones that are possibly available depending on which teams sell, most of which have stats comparable to or better than Colome.
Edwin Diaz
Shane Greene
Ken Giles
Will Smith
Greg Holland

Some others who could get on the list if teams who are at the edge of competitive get antsy include Brad Hand, Felipe Vazquez, Raisel Iglesias, and if the Padres got a top offer Kirby Yates. I doubt any of those latter guys do get moved, but I think we'll see 4-5 closers get dealt this deadline since there's no reason for teams to hold those first few guys. If teams want guys with multiple years of control, single years of control cheaply, 1 arbitration year, long term deals, literally all of that could be available. 

The supply uncertainty and clear division leaders with the exception of nl central is what makes me believe few will jump gun.

I think any playoff team is likely to view colome as a set-up guy (most playoff teams have very good bullpens)

Boston and Milwaukee could be good fits as always. I don't think brice turang would be on the board but I'd be interested.

For Boston, going after Tanner Houck and a guy like Gilberto Jimenez is acceptable return to me.

14 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Cool but I think that’s a little rich. The Braves are deep on pitching and I think Anderson, while highly rated and a very good prospect, is extendable for Atlanta

You think Pache is "a little rich" but Ian Anderson who is rated higher than Pache is good?

15 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

True, but his numbers still stunk and he had shown no power.  It seemed he was ranked high mostly due to his draft position.

And you think Pache has shown power? Truth is before this year Rutherford & Pache had pretty similar numbers. Only difference was Rutherford is 1 years older.

Colome might bring back a top 100 prospect, but top 50 is probably asking too much.

Ideally, the Sox are able to bring back a left-handed, good defense, near-MLB-ready corner outfielder.  Their internal options right now are poor (Leury seems like the default right now) and I'd rather not see the Sox spend their money on any of Castellanos, Puig, or Ozuna (all right-handed and poor outfielders to boot).

Corey Ray seems like an interesting buy-low candidate.  He's had a terrible 2019, but he's had a finger injury all season that has likely factored into that, and last year showed what he brings to the table -- 27 homeruns, 37 steals, 10% walk rate, and those other things I mentioned above (left handed, good outfield defense).  The Sox could probably get another 2 prospects in a Ray deal as well, like Zack Brown and Drew Rasmussen.

The Brewers will likely be seeking a late inning reliever at the deadline and Ray is expendable to them.

Edited by Perfect Vision

20 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

And you think Pache has shown power? Truth is before this year Rutherford & Pache had pretty similar numbers. Only difference was Rutherford is 1 years older.

Pache is one of the best defensive centerfield prospects in baseball. Rutherford is a likely left fielder. That's a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Where is Ian Anderson rated higher than Pache?

BA is really high on Anderson and really low on Pache, usually reversed by the others. BA is still very preferential to pitching while others have started to downgrade it.

24 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Colome might bring back a top 100 prospect, but top 50 is probably asking too much.

Ideally, the Sox are able to bring back a left-handed, good defense, near-MLB-ready corner outfielder.  Their internal options right now are poor (Leury seems like the default right now) and I'd rather not see the Sox spend their money on any of Castellanos, Puig, or Ozuna (all right-handed and poor outfielders to boot).

Corey Ray seems like an interesting buy-low candidate.  He's had a terrible 2019, but he's had a finger injury all season that has likely factored into that, and last year showed what he brings to the table -- 27 homeruns, 37 steals, 10% walk rate, and those other things I mentioned above (left handed, good outfield defense).  The Sox could probably get another 2 prospects in a Ray deal as well, like Zack Brown and Drew Rasmussen.

The Brewers will likely be seeking a late inning reliever at the deadline and Ray is expendable to them.

If the White Sox are hoping to get a current top 100 prospect for Colome, especially with Kimbrel going for a relative pittance compared to his asking price and likely taking the Cubs out of the game, I think they end up holding Colome through the end of the season. There's just too many relievers who might be available to get that kind of return. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pache is one of the best defensive centerfield prospects in baseball. Rutherford is a likely left fielder. That's a huge difference.

I guess I'm talking offensive numbers. Rutherford is a pretty good outfielder but doesn't compare to Pache. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox are hoping to get a current top 100 prospect for Colome, especially with Kimbrel going for a relative pittance compared to his asking price and likely taking the Cubs out of the game, I think they end up holding Colome through the end of the season. There's just too many relievers who might be available to get that kind of return. 

We have to keep in mind that Kimbrel is coming off of a down year and has been used heavily. 

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

We have to keep in mind that Kimbrel is coming off of a down year and has been used heavily. 

If that was the only part of it, I'd say it was possible, but there are multiple relievers who are as good as or better than Colome available, some of whom are cheaper with more control. This isn't a sellers market unless you have a guy who is truly elite. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If that was the only part of it, I'd say it was possible, but there are multiple relievers who are as good as or better than Colome available, some of whom are cheaper with more control. This isn't a sellers market unless you have a guy who is truly elite. 

Closer Injuries and performance can have a big affect between now and the trade deadline. The market can quickly become a sellers market.