Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If that was the only part of it, I'd say it was possible, but there are multiple relievers who are as good as or better than Colome available, some of whom are cheaper with more control. This isn't a sellers market unless you have a guy who is truly elite. 

I also should've mentioned that the Cubs have a really weak farm and that Kimbrel was the only chance they had at improving their bullpen in a meaningful way, 

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

one thing worth remembering about Anthopolous is he has historically not shied away from trading pitching prospects to fill a team need. He isn’t shy trading prospects in general, but particularly true with pitchers

Syndergaard comes to mind immediately

I'm so torn on what I would do with him. He's doing great this year and has the additional year of control and there is no one worth signing to close in the off-season. But then again, relievers are so volatile from year to year. It would definitely take a really strong offer from a team. 

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If that was the only part of it, I'd say it was possible, but there are multiple relievers who are as good as or better than Colome available, some of whom are cheaper with more control. This isn't a sellers market unless you have a guy who is truly elite. 

A guy like Colome is invaluable to almost any pen in playoffs.  Can't have enough 8th and 9th guys.  He will net something useful.

57 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A guy like Colome is invaluable to almost any pen in playoffs.  Can't have enough 8th and 9th guys.  He will net something useful.

I don't disagree with that, but I think his value is only slightly higher than that of Soria last year, and so far it looks to my eyes like there are more relievers on the market this year than last. If we're waiting for a "top 100 prospect" in return for him, we'll be holding him, because if a team was willing to part with a top 100 prospect for a reliever they'll go talk to the Mets. 

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't disagree with that, but I think his value is only slightly higher than that of Soria last year, and so far it looks to my eyes like there are more relievers on the market this year than last. If we're waiting for a "top 100 prospect" in return for him, we'll be holding him, because if a team was willing to part with a top 100 prospect for a reliever they'll go talk to the Mets. 

If that's the case, they should keep him as it's not worth trading him for a Cordell/Medeiros type. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If that's the case, they should keep him as it's not worth trading him for a Cordell/Medeiros type. 

I agree but I really think offers will be better than that.  Only takes one team with a surplus of major league ready outfielders.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is literally to the letter how we wound up with Ryan Cordell.

Balta, I actually agree with you and, IMO trading Colome and Abreu completely depends on the return. If they can get a guy in the 50-75 range on the T100 they should do it, otherwise stand pat. There are a lot of relievers on bad teams having excellent years, so I don't think that the return for either will end up being worth giving up the player. However, with Vaughn in the fold I could be convinced to trade Abreu for whatever. Something is better than nothing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The twins went hard after Kimbrel and lack a clear closer. They also need a 1B. It would make a ton of sense to possibly package Colome and Abreu for a good package. They have a ton of minor league talent.

They are also a club that may overpay a bit if the CWS eat some salary

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The twins went hard after Kimbrel and lack a clear closer. They also need a 1B. It would make a ton of sense to possibly package Colome and Abreu for a good package. They have a ton of minor league talent.

They are also a club that may overpay a bit if the CWS eat some salary

Abreu , Maybe. But CJ Cron has been a hell of lot better than Abreu so I definitely don't see what you see there. 

But I am absolutely not giving them a guy that can help them in 2020 in Colome. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't disagree with that, but I think his value is only slightly higher than that of Soria last year, 

What is your logic on this other than just viewing everything white sox related in a negative lens?  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

Abreu , Maybe. But CJ Cron has been a hell of lot better than Abreu so I definitely don't see what you see there. 

But I am absolutely not giving them a guy that can help them in 2020 in Colome. 

I would definitely trade Colome to the Twins.  But the price would be steep.  

I hope like hell the twins are dumb enough to not pay for Kimbrel and then turn around and trade Lewis or Kirilloff for a reliever that make slightly less than Kimbrel.  Obviously we're not getting either of those guys for Colome, but one can dream. I hope they blow their load on Ken Giles. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What is your logic on this other than just viewing everything white sox related in a negative lens?  

I believe he’s posted in the past that he thinks plenty of closer types will be available and even listed them out.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Then I’d hold him. Especially since the closer free agent market this offseason is very weak.

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I believe he’s posted in the past that he thinks plenty of closer types will be available and even listed them out.

Edwin Diaz isn't getting traded, and the other ones he listed are nowhere near as good as Colome.  

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Then I’d hold him. Especially since the closer free agent market this offseason is very weak.

Yep. The Sox should be trying to compete next year. Whose your closer in 2020 if you trade Colome? 

Edited by OneDog847

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s why I’d hold on to him unless blown away by an offer. If the Phillies were offering Alec Bohm, for example, I’d take it.

If they offered Haseley I'd take it.

40 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. The Sox should be trying to compete next year. Whose your closer in 2020 if you trade Colome? 

Speaking for the tank/rebuild people, they don't care about that. Relievers are a dime a dozen, blah blah. We'll pick up somebody in the offseason or just have somebody in our system try to close. The moment we got Colome, the tank/rebuild lovers were dreaming of the day we get to "flip" him and who we get. I think if they told the truth they'd admit they want to flip Abreu as well. I'm a bit surprised there's not a lot of flip salivation regarding McCann.

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Speaking for the tank/rebuild people, they don't care about that. Relievers are a dime a dozen, blah blah. We'll pick up somebody in the offseason or just have somebody in our system try to close. The moment we got Colome, the tank/rebuild lovers were dreaming of the day we get to "flip" him and who we get. I think if they told the truth they'd admit they want to flip Abreu as well. I'm a bit surprised there's not a lot of flip salivation regarding McCann.

Well Abreu is only signed through the rest of the year. If they did want to extend him but wanted to give him a chance to play for a contender for the first time in his career, it wouldn't be a bad idea to deal him and re-sign him. Same thing as re-signing him.