Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/6/10/18660540/white-sox-gm-might-have-tough-decisions-to-make-at-trade-deadline

‘‘Perhaps a tricky one here over the next few weeks. We are going to have guys who other teams want. From our standpoint, it’s always going to be about putting us in the best long-term position. We haven’t quite pivoted to that strictly win-now, short-term focus.’’ -- Rick Hahn

Well...isn't that special!

McCann is an interesting one. Sell high? How much regression do we expect? How do we value the work he's put in with the pitching staff? Especially with Gio. I'm all for trading Colome, but I think I want to hold onto McCann unless we get a stupid good offer.

Edited by DirtySox

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

McCann is an interesting one. Sell high? How much regression do we expect? How do we value the work he's put in with the pitching staff? Especially with Gio. I'm all for trading Colome, but I think I want to hold onto McCann unless we get a stupid good offer.

He’s probably worth keeping around since he’s still youngish and our only other in-house option going forward is Collins, who many have doubts will stick at catcher.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

27 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You'd almost have to make Grandal an off season priority since we don't know what we get with Collins if McCann gets shipped.  Idk.  There would have to be a good plan B and a substantial return for McCann if they do that.

I think the Sox have to keep McCann, and should explore going after Grandal in the offseason. I do not see how they could deal him with the limited catching depth in the organization. 

Colome should be dealt to the highest bidder

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think the Sox have to keep McCann, and should explore going after Grandal in the offseason. I do not see how they could deal him with the limited catching depth in the organization. 

Colome should be dealt to the highest bidder

Yeah there's just too many things that would have to go right if we traded him.  I'm not opposed to selling high or exploring a trade but it would have to be a no brainer.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/6/10/18660540/white-sox-gm-might-have-tough-decisions-to-make-at-trade-deadline

‘‘Perhaps a tricky one here over the next few weeks. We are going to have guys who other teams want. From our standpoint, it’s always going to be about putting us in the best long-term position. We haven’t quite pivoted to that strictly win-now, short-term focus.’’ -- Rick Hahn

This perpetual rebuild is for the birds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well are the ample teams making ample offers? If so, trade him.

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I concur. If the Sox are set on dealing Colome, then they should probably try to get ahead of the market and trade him soon. Takes two to tango though.

Next year is only year 4 of the rebuild. The Sox will let the young kids develop again next year. Finishing with a 500 record or slightly above is probably the front office's goal for 2020. 

20 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I concur. If the Sox are set on dealing Colome, then they should probably try to get ahead of the market and trade him soon. Takes two to tango though.

Next year is only year 4 of the rebuild. The Sox will let the young kids develop again next year. Finishing with a 500 record or slightly above is probably the front office's goal for 2020. 

If we can manage to win 75-80 games in 2019, I think expectations could be considerably raised for 2020 with the return of Kopech, addition of Cease, free agency, Robert, Collins, potentially Madrigal as well. 

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If we can manage to win 75-80 games in 2019, I think expectations could be considerably raised for 2020 with the return of Kopech, addition of Cease, free agency, Robert, Collins, potentially Madrigal as well. 

Not going to happen. Have you seen the Sox schedule for the rest of June? They will be very luck to win 5 games the rest of the month. 

Edited by OneDog847

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I agree. We may be only in Year 4 of the rebuild but the team is heading towards its seventh consecutive losing season. And I think that expectations for Kopech and Cease are not realistic.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Trading McCann would be used to define dumb.

Trading McCann is most certainly not dumb.  He's been good, but if someone wants to pay for what he's been this year (one of the best 5 catchers in the league), you trade him every single time.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trading McCann is most certainly not dumb.  He's been good, but if someone wants to pay for what he's been this year (one of the best 5 catchers in the league), you trade him every single time.

What kind of value in a trade would you attach to a catcher performing like that with McCann's contract status? 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

The right trade could appear to set you back, but actually vault you forward.

Well, yeah, but I'm more concerned about any potential detriment to Giolito, Lopez and Cease by trading McCann. Castillo sucks behind the plate and with the bat this year. From all reports Collins isn't a catcher. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

What kind of value in a trade would you attach to a catcher performing like that with McCann's contract status? 

High value.  Backend top 100 type guy (an OF that is ready would be nice) + low level lottery ticket with upside.  If you can't get that, you keep him.  

Or maybe a former nice prospect that is blocked.  Someone like Ramiel Tapia from Colorado + low level lottery ticket with upside.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, yeah, but I'm more concerned about any potential detriment to Giolito, Lopez and Cease by trading McCann. Castillo sucks behind the plate and with the bat this year. From all reports Collins isn't a catcher. 

Lopez has mostly been caught by castillo. And I have a hard time assigning Giolito's resurgence and velocity to mccann. As someone else said, if someone is going to pay you as if Mccann is a top 5 catcher on a 2.5 mill deal, you listen.

Just now, bmags said:

Lopez has mostly been caught by castillo. And I have a hard time assigning Giolito's resurgence and velocity to mccann. As someone else said, if someone is going to pay you as if Mccann is a top 5 catcher on a 2.5 mill deal, you listen.

Giolito has stated many times that McCann has been huge for him.  I definitely think its fair to contribute some of Gio's resurgence to McCann.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

High value.  Backend top 100 type guy (an OF that is ready would be nice) + low level lottery ticket with upside.  If you can't get that, you keep him.  

Or maybe a former nice prospect that is blocked.  Someone like Ramiel Tapia from Colorado + low level lottery ticket with upside.  

If a team just offered the backend top 100 guy for McCann, would you turn that down? 

Hypothetically, if the White Sox were 2 games behind the Twins and Castillo was out catcher and McCann was raking in Detroit, would you give up Madrigal for that? Madrigal + Bush? 

(I don't know that I know the answer to these, I'm trying to figure out what I think his value is). 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Giolito has stated many times that McCann has been huge for him.  I definitely think its fair to contribute some of Gio's resurgence to McCann.  

Yes I'm sure he does compliment his teammate.

Just now, bmags said:

Now, I wouldn't expect that. Avila had a fantastic year with the tigers, albeit was older and with no more control, but brought back very little from the cubs. 

I think its pretty simple. You put a big price on him and someone pays it, or you just keep him for next season.