Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. It's clear that somehow the person writing that thought it was obvious so they should see that some of us still see how "a solid catcher for the next 5 years" is a useful thing compared to a couple short termers. 

I just looked up both catchers war this year and it showed mccann at 2 and narvaez at 1, there is no question i would take mccann and colome all day

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You understand how free agency works right? Like the step where you are talking about extending him means you actually have to pay him?

Do you know how it works? Because you seem to be under the impression or at least implying that if a player hits free agency, the team that had him prior has no chance of signing him.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Do you know how it works? Because you seem to be under the impression or at least implying that if a player hits free agency, the team that had him prior has no chance of signing him.

His point was that more years of cheap control is better.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Would you rather have Narvaez or Colome and McCann? Case closed

I would rather have Colome and McCann. McCann has convinced me he's a damn fine ballplayer and unselfish. Colome has done a fine job. But at this point I don't wanna trade either!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

His point was that more years of cheap control is better.

Sure it is, but if McCann is a player moving forward even close to what he's shown this year, offensively and defensively, I'd rather have the better player assuming the cost isn't anything insane

I don’t understand the love for Narvaez. He was terrible defensively. He’s basically what I expect from Collins in another year or two. OPS around 800 but poor defense. That’s fine for the backup catcher/DH/occasional 1b but not as the primary catcher. Give me a guy like McCann all day every day as the primary catcher even if his OPS is 100-150 points less than a guy like Narvaez (which of course it isn’t this year).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t understand the love for Narvaez. He was terrible defensively. He’s basically what I expect from Collins in another year or two. OPS around 800 but poor defense. That’s fine for the backup catcher/DH/occasional 1b but not as the primary catcher. Give me a guy like McCann all day every day as the primary catcher even if his OPS is 100-150 points less than a guy like Narvaez (which of course it isn’t this year).

I am with you

People spent the entire offseason telling me "you can only trust baseball prospectus numbers when it comes to the quality of a catcher's defense and framing" and McCann is well, poor on the numbers people told me to trust, yet people praise him constantly. I will totally admit that Narvaez was bad defensively last year but with a better coached franchise he's showing improvement, and he's only a thin margin behind McCann's defensive performance this year. 

Based on the standard people told me to use to evaluate Narvaez, McCann isn't good either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People spent the entire offseason telling me "you can only trust baseball prospectus numbers when it comes to the quality of a catcher's defense and framing" and McCann is well, poor on the numbers people told me to trust, yet people praise him constantly. I will totally admit that Narvaez was bad defensively last year but with a better coached franchise he's showing improvement, and he's only a thin margin behind McCann's defensive performance this year. 

Based on the standard people told me to use to evaluate Narvaez, McCann isn't good either.

There’s more to a catcher’s defense than framing. McCann is marginally better at framing but he leaps and bounds better at blocking balls, minimizing errors/miscues, and shutting down the opponent’s run game. Not sure how many games you’ve watched the last few years but it’s a night and day difference when you compare their defense. It’s really not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

TFW your hatred for the Sox goes so deep and you are so bitter that you list the fucking Mariners as a better coached franchise. You know, the same Mariners who haven‘t made the playoffs in almost two decades.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There’s more to a catcher’s defense than framing. McCann is marginally better at framing but he leaps and bounds better at blocking balls, minimizing errors/miscues, and shutting down the opponent’s run game. Not sure how many games you’ve watched the last few years but it’s a night and day difference when you compare their defense. It’s really not even close.

This x1000000000

39 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

TFW your hatred for the Sox goes so deep and you are so bitter that you list the fucking Mariners as a better coached franchise. You know, the same Mariners who haven‘t made the playoffs in almost two decades.

Sox haven’t made the playoffs in 11 years.  Both are pathetic.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would rather have Colome and McCann. McCann has convinced me he's a damn fine ballplayer and unselfish. Colome has done a fine job. But at this point I don't wanna trade either!!

That's fine then.  Just extend them and move on to the next issues.  Finding two starters and a right fielder.

Edited by poppysox

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Use your eyes Balta.  You've seen them both.  McCann is the best all around catcher we've had since AJ.  I know it's fun to debate these issues but I'll bet you think so too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's all part of the rebuild Greg. They gotta go!

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Love it! Great post. McCann blows in the eyes of the stat people. They should stand by that and speak out while we (not saying you Balta, you may like new age stats) praise him from our eye test and tradition stat tests.

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Can you blame him or anyone for that matter?

I always find it a bit strange for someone to spend legitimately hours per day on a message board talking White Sox, but then open admit they hardly watch any games.  To each their own I guess, but it seems a tad backwards. 

• Like 1