Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Hate to break it you, but I don’t give a damn about your personal interests. There’s a bigger picture than a 2nd tier closer on an at best .500 team. And if you can’t understand that Alex Colome is 2nd tier you are either a giant homer or just don’t understand what you are discussing. 

And if you can't understand that 14 for 14 is 100% and the absolute best that a closer can possibly do, I really have to question what grade you got in 6th grade math. 

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

So the Sox get a few or couple more wins THAT YEAR!! That's two or three more times White Sox fans are happy and a few less times they're not depressed. I don't understand how you people who argue to flip our quality veterans act like wins never really matter. They matter. Winning is fun; losing sucks. You "flip" guys all get hard ons because some prospect is kicking ass in High A while the major league team is losing 100 games.

Vile: Many fans aren't like us. They think we are the illogical ones and the idiots. You and me like to go to a game and win and be happy on that given day, not dreaming of losing and getting some draft pick. Quite frankly fans like you and me are the exception on the board rather than close to the majority. I still get pissed the nights we lose although I will admit Hahn has gotten me very very very used to losing. It's not a good feeling that I have been conditioned to expecting losses.

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Hate to break it you, but I don’t give a damn about your personal interests. There’s a bigger picture than a 2nd tier closer on an at best .500 team. And if you can’t understand that Alex Colome is 2nd tier you are either a giant homer or just don’t understand what you are discussing. 

And you know what?? I am a giant homer!!

12 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

So the Sox get a few or couple more wins THAT YEAR!! That's two or three more times White Sox fans are happy and a few less times they're not depressed. I don't understand how you people who argue to flip our quality veterans act like wins never really matter. They matter. Winning is fun; losing sucks. You "flip" guys all get hard ons because some prospect is kicking ass in High A while the major league team is losing 100 games.

I see what you mean but it makes sense losing a bit for the betterment of our rebuild. I want to keep Colome because we could really use him next season. Winning is fun and we should actually try to learn how to win this year. Losing on purpose should be over and we should only trade players if we get knocked off our feet with the return. 

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

And if you can't understand that 14 for 14 is 100% and the absolute best that a closer can possibly do, I really have to question what grade you got in 6th grade math. 

Let's roll the personal attacks back a bit mmk 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Oh, you mean a guy like Blake Rutherford, right? You know, Blake with his .230 batting average down in AA after having him for two years, let's trade him for a guy like that. 

Hey why don't you put some icing on that Blake Rutherford cake since once you do that it means the cake is ready to eat. If Blake Rutherford was a cake he's still baking in the oven, He's barely 22 and .230 is actually him hitting much better lately getting used to the temperature in the oven called AA, He's a kid give him a chance . I don't know how many times this has to be repeated but development is not linear, In order to succeed you must taste failure.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Does anyone believe there is a single playoff team that would view colome as anything more than 7th inning depth?

Sure he's definitely in the mix for 8th inning and in case of injury could close, Has had plenty of experience at it and success. If you need a double play rather than a K i think he's a good choice.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Some on this board never gave up on Jones. I never wish injuries on anybody but with him you could see how he'll get hurt over and over. His pitching mechanics should have been fixed long ago. Some of the worst motion I've ever seen.

Couldn't hold a runner on to save his soul.  Every time a runner ran it was called indifference.  

Edited by poppysox

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I don't like losing at all. I don't like rebuilding at all so don't lump me in with the analytics crowd. HOWEVER the worst place you can be in baseball is in that middle ground, the Twilight Zone if you will, so you win 75 games instead of 73. Big deal. You either need to be very good, good enough to make the playoffs ON A CONSISTENT BASIS or you need to be so bad that you can get the best prospects. (Of course that infers you have a competent front office)

Robertson helping the Sox win a few more games on a bad team means absolutely nothing. ZERO, nada, nyet in the long term.

I'd rather be happy having a good team that has a shot to be consistently good than being happy for one night because Robertson helped win a game and pushed the season total to 74 or 76 or 78.

I don't see why that is so hard to understand.

In a perfect world the White Sox in the Chicago market don't operate like a small market team but in fact, the reality is until ownership changes that's how they roll, that's who they are. b****ing won't change a damn thing. 

Under those circumstances with the self imposed restrictions from ownership, the only chance they had of getting out of the mess they themselves created was to blow it up and hope they get it right in a do-over.

I don't like that one bit but again logically that was all they could do.

Someday if we outlive current ownership maybe those circumstances will change.

Mlbtraderumors just put out on article with their top 50 trade candidates....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/top-50-trade-candidates-2019-mlb-trade-deadline.html

Colome came in at 17 (although their order isn’t by talent/best players)with this to say:

“Though he’s carrying a 2.30 ERA, Colome is unlikely to maintain a .113 BABIP-against. With anticipated regression mixed in, the 30-year-old looks like much the same pitcher he has always been. It’s nice that he has been doing a solid job in the closer’s role for the White Sox, but that’s not going to sway many GMs in this day and age. He’s eligible for arbitration in 2020 but is already earning a hefty $7,325,000 salary. With the White Sox hoping to stay in the race this year and increase their competitiveness next season, there are some scenarios where Colome ends up staying in Chicago.”

14 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Mlbtraderumors just put out on article with their top 50 trade candidates....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/top-50-trade-candidates-2019-mlb-trade-deadline.html

Colome came in at 17 (although their order isn’t by talent/best players)with this to say:

“Though he’s carrying a 2.30 ERA, Colome is unlikely to maintain a .113 BABIP-against. With anticipated regression mixed in, the 30-year-old looks like much the same pitcher he has always been. It’s nice that he has been doing a solid job in the closer’s role for the White Sox, but that’s not going to sway many GMs in this day and age. He’s eligible for arbitration in 2020 but is already earning a hefty $7,325,000 salary. With the White Sox hoping to stay in the race this year and increase their competitiveness next season, there are some scenarios where Colome ends up staying in Chicago.”

He stays or he goes = 50-50.  Unless we are overpaid what would be the point of trading him?  We need good relivers just like everybody else.  My gut feeling is that one team will overpay...but just a guess.

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Greg and Vile... do you guys not understand sacrificing something that is OK in the present for something really good in the future? Fighting for 500 is ok but trying to get good players for when we are good is worth the sacrifice for most fans.

You are right, but not with Colome. He can be a good thing for our future and the player he nets us isn't going to have a great outlook. He will have some potential, but not much. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You are right, but not with Colome. He can be a good thing for our future and the player he nets us isn't going to have a great outlook. He will have some potential, but not much. 

That's why most of us are saying "only trade him for something significant." If its not a great package then we should keep him.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cardinals likely to need short relief, as Hicks looks like he injured his elbow today

Cardinals are 1 game back of the Cubs.  This is how overpays happen.  When a team has a legitimate chance to win a division...they feel a little more inclined to not let it go without a fight.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, greg775 said:

Vile: Many fans aren't like us. They think we are the illogical ones and the idiots. You and me like to go to a game and win and be happy on that given day, not dreaming of losing and getting some draft pick. Quite frankly fans like you and me are the exception on the board rather than close to the majority. I still get pissed the nights we lose although I will admit Hahn has gotten me very very very used to losing. It's not a good feeling that I have been conditioned to expecting losses.

Winning in big bunches is coming soon.  Keep the faith...not long now.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:37 AM, yesterday333 said:

Greg and Vile... do you guys not understand sacrificing something that is OK in the present for something really good in the future? Fighting for 500 is ok but trying to get good players for when we are good is worth the sacrifice for most fans.

See, this is where we really, really disagree. 16 for 16 in saves is not just "OK" in the present. It's outstanding. You guys who keep describing Colome as a "2nd tier" closer or that he's only above average and only been lucky so far, your argument loses all credibility on that statement. As soon as you make a statement like that, your logic is obviously wrong and your point of trading Colome is lost. 

Only Hand and Colome among Mlb leaders don't have a blown save yet. That's clearly better than "OK". The odds that this "really good in the future" ever would be better and more helpful to the White Sox than Colome is in the present seems very low, very low indeed. 

Seriously, what are the odds that whomever we get for Colome will ever be one of the top two or three at their position (in this case closer)  by the time of the all-star game ? I would say well below 20%. On the other hand, it's possible that whomever we get for Colome will never even make it to the majors. I would say the odds are above 20%

So why trade a guy who is sooo helpful to the team now and into the future for a guy whom the odds are will never help the MLB club as much is Colome is doing now, and for whom there's a real possiblity that this traded for player might never make the majors. 

People on this board keep asking how are we almost at .500 with our starting pitching being so weak. Yes, the bats are better than last year, but the biggest improvement over last year is our bullpen and Colome is the # 1 factor of our improved bullpen. Why trade that away for a player who might make the majors and who is very, very doubtful to ever help the Sox as much as Colome has so far and will continue to do into the future. 

21 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

See, this is where we really, really disagree. 16 for 16 in saves is not just "OK" in the present. It's outstanding. You guys who keep describing Colome as a "2nd tier" closer or that he's only above average and only been lucky so far, your argument loses all credibility on that statement. As soon as you make a statement like that, your logic is obviously wrong and your point of trading Colome is lost. 

Only Hand and Colome among Mlb leaders don't have a blown save yet. That's clearly better than "OK". The odds that this "really good in the future" ever would be better and more helpful to the White Sox than Colome is in the present seems very low, very low indeed. 

Seriously, what are the odds that whomever we get for Colome will ever be one of the top two or three at their position (in this case closer)  by the time of the all-star game ? I would say well below 20%. On the other hand, it's possible that whomever we get for Colome will never even make it to the majors. I would say the odds are above 20%

So why trade a guy who is sooo helpful to the team now and into the future for a guy whom the odds are will never help the MLB club as much is Colome is doing now, and for whom there's a real possiblity that this traded for player might never make the majors. 

People on this board keep asking how are we almost at .500 with our starting pitching being so weak. Yes, the bats are better than last year, but the biggest improvement over last year is our bullpen and Colome is the # 1 factor of our improved bullpen. Why trade that away for a player who might make the majors and who is very, very doubtful to ever help the Sox as much as Colome has so far and will continue to do into the future. 

In agreement totally with your assessment of Colome.  Just wanted to remind you that not all trades are for future players.  You can trade for an organization #1 pitching prospect or #1 outfield prospect who may be blocked at the present time.  Also, of course current major leaguers.  Chapman for Torres set an example of what might happen.  I'm not suggesting Colome is another Chapman...just that quality high end closers don't come cheap.

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Everyone is tradeable...just a matter of returns. I doubt Hahn will accept anything but a premium return but I expect Colome to be traded. I don't think it will be the end of the world as Herrera seems to be rounding into form.

Bummer is nearly untouchable but I agree...everyone is tradable for the right return.  Hey...Babe Ruth was traded.  Enough said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Saves are stupid.  You lose credibility thinking it's a meaningful stat.