Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

One thing is for certain....don't pick up Nate Jones option. 

I'd be willing to wager based on Hahn's comments (paraphrasing) 'Lots of pitchers have had success in their mid 30's' that the Sox will give him a chance to get hurt again next season.

Another example to support the idea of trading Colome is the Hand for Mejia deal.

At the time of that deal, Mejia was #26/32/59 on all the Top 100 lists.

While they discovered one of the better closers in the league in Yates (26/27 saves), moving him to the back end put a ton of pressure and increased workload on their 7th/8th inning guys and, as a consequence, that bullpen has really fallen apart the last 4-6 weeks.

It’s inarguably that there’s considerable doubt on whether the White Sox already possess a reliever in-house who could put up those same numbers (to Colome/Yates.)

I guess we’re back in the position of needing the equivalent of 2012 Avi Garcia If we’re not signing Marcell Ozuna.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Another example to support the idea of trading Colome is the Hand for Mejia deal.

While they discovered one of the better closers in the league in Yates (26/27 saves), moving him to the back end put a ton of pressure and increased workload on their 7th/8th inning guys and, as a consequence, that bullpen has really fallen apart the last 4-6 weeks.

It’s inarguably that there’s considerable doubt on whether the White Sox already possess a reliever in-house who could put up those same numbers (to Colome/Yates.)

I guess we’re back in the position of needing the equivalent of 2012 Avi Garcia If we’re not signing Marcell Ozuna.

What does that last sentence have to do with the rest of your post or even the thread in general?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What does that last sentence have to do with the rest of your post or even the thread in general?

Very simple...we started out trying to acquire major league ready talent (Top 75-100 milb) a half decade ago for Peavy.

We incubated that talent but for a number of reasons no longer have a long term asset in the prime of his career under team control.

Here we are...yet again.

Now we need to turn around and sacrifice an important piece (Colome) in his own right for 2020 in order to compete in RF...meanwhile, we have five minor leaguers who are potentially capable of playing RF but none less than a year (and arguably even longer away.)

We are always stuck in between.  We won’t give Ozuna 4-5 years because of the argument that one of the minor leaguers could develop.  Meanwhile, we risk wasting yet another season out of Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Jimenez, McCann, etc.

Still feels like another version of mired in mediocrity...albeit with a vastly more talented and young offensive core.

The thread in general is about whether we should trade Colome.  

Colome today is pretty much the equivalent value of Jake Peavy (especially considering Jake’s contract and injury issues) back then.

Edited by caulfield12

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Very simple...we started out trying to acquire major league ready talent (Top 75-100 milb) a half decade ago for Peavy.

We incubated that talent but for a number of reasons no longer have a long term asset in the prime of his career under team control.

Here we are...yet again.

Now we need to turn around and sacrifice an important piece (Colome) in his own right for 2020 in order to compete in RF...meanwhile, we have five minor leaguers who are potentially capable of playing RF but none less than a year (and arguably even longer away.)

We are always stuck in between.  We won’t give Ozuna 4-5 years because of the argument that one of the minor leaguers could develop.  Meanwhile, we risk wasting yet another season out of Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Jimenez, McCann, etc.

Still feels like another version of mired in mediocrity...albeit with a vastly more talented and young offensive core.

The thread in general is about whether we should trade Colome.  

Colome today is pretty much the equivalent value of Jake Peavy (especially considering Jake’s contract and injury issues) back then.

I still don’t get the connection as moving Colome and filling RF are completely independent of each other.  Also disagree that Colome & Peavy have roughly the same value, as I think Jake was without question worth more back then.

The simple reality is if you can get a 50 FV kid for him (typically a top 125 to 150 prospect), you do it and worry about the closer role next year.  We will have a ton of money to work with and even if free agency doesn’t have an ideal solution, there should be contracts we are able to take on at low prospect currency that should be able to fill the role.  If not, then there is no reason to trade him IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get the connection as moving Colome and filling RF are completely independent of each other.  Also disagree that Colome & Peavy have roughly the same value, as I think Jake was without question worth more back then.

The simple reality is if you can get a 50 FV kid for him (typically a top 125 to 150 prospect), you do it and worry about the closer role next year.  We will have a ton of money to work with and even if free agency doesn’t have an ideal solution, there should be contracts we are able to take on at low prospect currency that should be able to fill the role.  If not, then there is no reason to trade him IMO.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/white-sox-sign-jake-peavy-to-two-year-extension/

The White Sox were 40-64 on the day of that trade at the deadline.

Going nowhere fast, and owing another roughly $20 million on his contract.  At that point, with his diminished stuff and injury history...he was more or less a ticking time bomb.

The surprising success of 2012 had quickly evaporated.

With Colome, there are a ton of teams now out there like the Cardinals and Red Sox who are desperate for bullpen help and also for a pitcher under control for the following season.   There’s also a death of quality closer candidates on this upcoming free agent market.

You’re underestimating how easy it is to find a guy in their mid to late 30’s...look at the career trajectory of Allen going downhill with the Indians and then to the Angels.  Looking through the FA list, Hector Rondon might actually be one of the top three options.  As the mileage on arms builds up, the potential for disaster awaiting between ages 32-36 only increases.

21 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd be willing to wager based on Hahn's comments (paraphrasing) 'Lots of pitchers have had success in their mid 30's' that the Sox will give him a chance to get hurt again next season.

It's time for Nate to pitch in the Independent League. He needs to go the way of Humbar. No offense to Nate. Injuries suck, but Nate needs to head to the Indy League or Japan.

12 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

FWIW Hahn in a Fegan interview on athletic said expect a quiet deadline.  Longterm moves only but hard to deal if all our prospects are injured.

I’m a little confused by his article, “With so many injured prospects, don’t expect a busy trade deadline for the White Sox.”

Did he think the Sox would be a buyer?  Because teams that are selling, trade away major league vets not prospects.  So if the Sox sell, why would it matter that their prospects are injured?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m a little confused by his article, “With so many injured prospects, don’t expect a busy trade deadline for the White Sox.”

Did he think the Sox would be a buyer?  Because teams that are selling, trade away major league vets not prospects.  So if the Sox sell, why would it matter that their prospects are injured?

I think it was a response to a questions if Sox will aquire any pitching help which is clearly needed.

But it also mentions Colome might be staying put. 

Edited by justBLAZE

6 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

I think it was a response to a questions if Sox will aquire any pitching help which is clearly needed.

But it also mentions Colome might be staying put. 

Thanks, I don’t pay for the Athletic.  I do think trading Colome is all obviously dependent on how good the offers are.

Imho, Colome has increased his value lately showing that he can come in the 8th and still finish the game strong in the 9th.

That being said, I agree that you only get rid of him if someone makes a very generous offer.  

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Imho, Colome has increased his value lately showing that he can come in the 8th and still finish the game strong in the 9th.

That being said, I agree that you only get rid of him if someone makes a very generous offer.  

I was just going to say something similar. It almost seems like you could say he’s being showcased for playoff contenders that he can go multiple innings. With the way playoff teams used their relievers last year, Colome has had success. Probably not the case, but you never know.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 12:02 AM, caulfield12 said:

They also included Adam Cimber in that trade. That would be the equivalent of trading Colome and Bummer in a deal together. The bullpen would be as bad as the rotation if those two guys were both dealt. Though it may be worth it if they were to get a Sean Murphy or Drew Waters or someone on that level.

53 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

They also included Adam Cimber in that trade. That would be the equivalent of trading Colome and Bummer in a deal together. The bullpen would be as bad as the rotation if those two guys were both dealt. Though it may be worth it if they were to get a Sean Murphy or Drew Waters or someone on that level.

There is a saying that goes "always be trading relievers" and I absolutely think the Sox should listen to what they can get for Colome in a trade.