Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

22 hours ago, Princess Dye said:

Do we know the Bulls didn't pursue? He signed a different team's offer sheet, and also there were draft picks moved to facilitate a sign & trade.

Yes. KC Johnson said they werent even remotely interested at the price tag that he ended up getting plus the picks. He was just trying to guess and get the news right since weeks before free agency there was a report that they might pursue him. 

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Colome & Bummer would make almost any contender look tough.  I think Hahn might put together a surprising good deal.

Yeah, but it's rare for teams to give up top flight talent for young relievers with 4-5 years of control because relievers are so inconsistent. You have to pay a premium price, the price you'd pay for a guy who can dominate for 5 years, but he may only be good 1 or 2 of those years. You need a situation where the team needs relief help but is trying to stay below the luxury tax so they don't want to pay for the premium guy. Boston and Washington are about the only teams like that right now, and Boston is probably a poor fit because they really can't take on a salary like Colome with their tax situation.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but it's rare for teams to give up top flight talent for young relievers with 4-5 years of control because relievers are so inconsistent. You have to pay a premium price, the price you'd pay for a guy who can dominate for 5 years, but he may only be good 1 or 2 of those years. You need a situation where the team needs relief help but is trying to stay below the luxury tax so they don't want to pay for the premium guy. Boston and Washington are about the only teams like that right now, and Boston is probably a poor fit because they really can't take on a salary like Colome with their tax situation.

They are a good fit with Cubs IMO.

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

They are a good fit with Cubs IMO.

Colome is an awful expensive player for them to take on this year and next. They're already taxpayers this year and their payroll could easily go up next year, that means Colome might cost us $9 million next year but he'll cost the Cubs $12 million.

You could convince me they'd take a gamble on a guy like Bummer but I don't know that their system has the kind of talent that it would take to trade for a reliever with that much control.

44 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

What can the Cubs offer the Sox? They have a barren system. 

Because I want immediate help to next years team...I think Adbert Alzolay a 23 year old RH starter and Hayward would be my asking price.  Cubs get salary relief from Hayward who fits our RF problem and Alzolay is ready to make the jump from AAA.  I might put Tilson in the deal to sweeten the pot.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Because I want immediate help to next years team...I think Adbert Alzolay a 23 year old RH starter and Hayward would be my asking price.  Cubs get salary relief from Hayward who fits our RF problem and Alzolay is ready to make the jump from AAA.  I might put Tilson in the deal to sweeten the pot.

Hell no to Heyward.  One average year doesn’t warrant committing $86M to him over the next four seasons.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Gordon?  We really need more injured/rehab players in this organization.

At least we would get to hear about JayHey’s leadership, Game 7 WS speech and multiple Gold Gloves (that would be a change, I suppose.)  Essentially, he would be this decade’s version of Alex Rios.

The biggest problem is the Cubs are unhappy with Almora and Schwarber, not to mention Russell...so they really need Heyward’s stability in the outfield.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

There is no reason the Sox should target a soon-to-be 30 year old Jason Heyward.  We would be doing the Cubs a favor.  $86 million can be spent a lot better on other players.  Why wouldn’t we just sign one of Ozuna, Castellanos, or Puig with that $86 million and trade Colome, etc. elsewhere?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

No to Hayward, and what kind of pot does Charlie Tilson sweeten?

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He probably lowers the value of your trade offer because no one wants to waste a roster spot on him.  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hell no to Heyward.  One average year doesn’t warrant committing $86M to him over the next four seasons.

GM's can work out the details of adjusting payrolls to fit the deal.  My main issue is that we get pieces that play at the major league level...not prospects.

Castellanos is the best bet simply because he won’t need a megacontract and is already familiar with the division/pitchers.

It also has the effect of weakening a rival while strengthening the Sox simultaneously.

27 years old, and the perfect definition of a guy you expect to be between 1.5-3.0 fWAR every season.

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

Colome & Bummer would make almost any contender look tough.  I think Hahn might put together a surprising good deal.

A Colome/Bummer package could certainly be enticing to contenders. Sox would need some serious value in return to pull the trigger on that though. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Castellanos is the best bet simply because he won’t need a megacontract and is already familiar with the division/pitchers.

It also has the effect of weakening a rival while strengthening the Sox simultaneously.

27 years old, and the perfect definition of a guy you expect to be between 1.5-3.0 fWAR every season.

Castellanos has also put up monster number at Sox Park over his career. He seems to be a defensive liability out in right field though. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Could not disagree more. He’s a DH with a 111 wRC+. He has managed 3 fWAR once, while putting up -20 runs in RF. This year he’s on pace for just under 2. He’s Billy Butler with a bit more pop and way less plate discipline. He can fake the outfield but he’s a butcher.

And Boras is his agent, who has failed to sign a deal with the Tigers for several years despite the fact that the tigers have been motivated to lock him up as a PR move. The ask on his contract is going to be a joke. It’ll come down eventually, but why not just resign Abreu for even less?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Could not disagree more. He’s a DH with a 111 wRC+. He has managed 3 fWAR once, while putting up -20 runs in RF. This year he’s on pace for just under 2. He’s Billy Butler with a bit more pop and way less plate discipline. He can fake the outfield but he’s a butcher.

And Boras is his agent, who has failed to sign a deal with the Tigers for several years despite the fact that the tigers have been motivated to lock him up as a PR move. The ask on his contract is going to be a joke. It’ll come down eventually, but why not just resign Abreu for even less?

We could have kept avi for millions less if we're looking for 1.5-3 WAR types in RF. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Charlie Tilson is loveable but close to worthless in terms of trade value. I mean, cmon. We love Charlie but he is just a tad better than John Jay.

9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Why do people always want to take on the cubs shitty problematic players?  Russell?  Heyward?  I'd rather literally give players away than get those 2 back.

Yes hopefully the Heyward thing was just one poster on here. Cause I might point out Avi woulda fit in nicely this season in RF and we don't need Heyward when we coulda kept Avi. Steer clear of Heyward. No reason to pay that guy (here I am trying to save Jerry "moneybags" Reinsdorf money again).

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

what team looking to trade for relief is going to give you major league ready players?  ZERO.

One that has depth in the outfield or starting pitching and is desperate for two good relief pieces.