Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

One that has depth in the outfield or starting pitching and is desperate for two good relief pieces.

There is no way Bummer and Colome are bringing back a MLB ready top 50 prospect. That's like trading two slighty above average relievers for a prospect like Nick Madrigal. 

Those two guys could possibly get a prospect in the 75-100 range.

Top 50 prospects in todays baseball is akin to owning a bunch of bitcoin in 2015. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

There is no way Bummer and Colome are bringing back a MLB ready top 50 prospect. That's like trading two slighty above average relievers for a prospect like Nick Madrigal. 

Those two guys could possibly get a prospect in the 75-100 range.

Top 50 prospects in todays baseball is akin to owning a bunch of bitcoin in 2015. 

Really depends on the deal as a whole, team needs, money and the prospect(s) involved. Theoretically the Sox should receive a quality return in order to consider dealing a package of Colome/Bummer. 

My guess on a potential return would be a top 50 - 125 overall prospect type as the centerpiece that is relatively close to MLB ready, along with one or two second tier prospect(s)? 

I’d look at what the A’s got in the Doolittle/Madson trade from a few years ago as a comparison to a bummer/colome trade. Pretty dominant lefty and an above average righty both with at least one more year of control. The As got Neuse, Lazardo, and a struggling Treinen. I’d say the A’s duo was a tad better than the Sox duo at the time of the trade tho  

1 hour ago, MyNamesRod said:

I’d look at what the A’s got in the Doolittle/Madson trade from a few years ago as a comparison to a bummer/colome trade. Pretty dominant lefty and an above average righty both with at least one more year of control. The As got Neuse, Lazardo, and a struggling Treinen. I’d say the A’s duo was a tad better than the Sox duo at the time of the trade tho  

Madson was a veteran and had plenty of postseason experience, and Doolittle would have been viewed as a notch above Colome.

If we could get back a pitcher who did as well for the A’s as Treinen before this year, that would be good...but then you really need to get back something significant to make the trade worth doing.

22 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Castellanos has also put up monster number at Sox Park over his career. He seems to be a defensive liability out in right field though. 

This.  I don't ever want to see Castellanos in RF and Eloy in LF.  Robert would lose 30 pounds by the ASB.

Maybe to Castellanos as a DH, but I don't think that's a priority given the bats we'll have.  (And with Boras as his agent, I think he's going to get more $ than a lot of people suspect).  This winter I would rather they sign or trade for a solid RF (I'm thinking 2+ WAR) with a chunk of that coming from at least league-average defense (so that rules out "well, you could have just kept Avi").  Shore up RF, maybe give Abreu 2yrs plus an option, with the preface of "before you sing this we want to make sure you're okay being a DH down the road", and then blow the bank on a TOR arm and a Moncada extension.

9 minutes ago, RTC said:

This.  I don't ever want to see Castellanos in RF and Eloy in LF.  Robert would lose 30 pounds by the ASB.

Maybe to Castellanos as a DH, but I don't think that's a priority given the bats we'll have.  (And with Boras as his agent, I think he's going to get more $ than a lot of people suspect).  This winter I would rather they sign or trade for a solid RF (I'm thinking 2+ WAR) with a chunk of that coming from at least league-average defense (so that rules out "well, you could have just kept Avi").  Shore up RF, maybe give Abreu 2yrs plus an option, with the preface of "before you sing this we want to make sure you're okay being a DH down the road", and then blow the bank on a TOR arm and a Moncada extension.

Yes.  With Eloy in LF, having an average or better defensive RF should be a priority.  I also think a left-handed bat is important there, given the every day lineup in 2021 and beyond right now is Moncada and all right-handed hitters.  To me, that should rule out Castellanos, Puig, and Ozuna.  I would rather that Leury be the everyday RF to start next year, and give Rutherford, Walker, and Basabe another year where hopefully one of them can break out and take that position. 

2 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

Yes.  With Eloy in LF, having an average or better defensive RF should be a priority.  I also think a left-handed bat is important there, given the every day lineup in 2021 and beyond right now is Moncada and all right-handed hitters.  To me, that should rule out Castellanos, Puig, and Ozuna.  I would rather that Leury be the everyday RF to start next year, and give Rutherford, Walker, and Basabe another year where hopefully one of them can break out and take that position. 

I think many fans take this left handed / right handed lineup construction to an extreme. If a guy is a good hitter, he's a good hitter and you get him and it shouldn't matter if he hits left handed, right handed or between his legs.

You get as many good hitters as you can (who also have baseball skills as in fielding and base running) and let them do their thing.

I'd never turn down the chance to get a good hitter / player because of what hand he favors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think many fans take this left handed / right handed lineup construction to an extreme. If a guy is a good hitter, he's a good hitter and you get him and it shouldn't matter if he hits left handed, right handed or between his legs.

You get as many good hitters as you can (who also have baseball skills as in fielding and base running) and let them do their thing.

I'd never turn down the chance to get a good hitter / player because of what hand he favors.

I don't think it's just fans.  GMs and managers throughout baseball believe in lineup balance.  I also don't think wanting the lineup to have at least 2 full time lefties in it is "extreme."  I wouldn't turn down the chance to get a great hitter just because he's right-handed, but since the Sox will have a say in who that hitter is, I think they should focus on good left-handed hitters.

Olney was reporting this morning the Dodgers are now very interested in getting a relief pitcher for the stretch run / playoffs but none of the names he mentioned that they are supposedly interested in pitch for the Sox. One guy from the Indians and one guy from the Pirates.

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Olney was reporting this morning the Dodgers are now very interested in getting a relief pitcher for the stretch run / playoffs but none of the names he mentioned that they are supposedly interested in pitch for the Sox. One guy from the Indians and one guy from the Pirates.

Vazquez and Hand I’m sure. Dodgers aren’t going to give up top prospects for Colome and Bummer.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Dodgers match up nicely with WS. Josiah Gray is a AA RH fireballer who FG assigns a 50FV grade to. Currently ranked #5 in Dodgers system and 110 across all prospects. Dodgers said to be seeking LH relief. 

Dodgers blew one in the 9th vs Philly last night.  Closer Jansen came in and gave up three quick runs.  Threw 14 pitches, 4 hits.  But he didn't walk anyone.

Dodger fans are crying blue.  Even Jansen said they should have taken me out.  Unquote.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

Dodgers blew one in the 9th vs Philly last night.  Closer Jansen came in and gave up three quick runs.  Threw 14 pitches, 4 hits.  But he didn't walk anyone.

Dodger fans are crying blue.  Even Jansen said they should have taken me out.  Unquote.

Colome might be looking good in Dodger Blue.  That's an organization that could afford an overpay.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Dodgers Josia Gray (RHP) and Cody Thomas (LH OF w/pop and approaching rule 5) for Colome and Bummer...OR....Phillies Spencer Howard (RHP) straight up for Colome. Both deals seem fair and adress needs of both parties.

I really like Josiah Gray but if we're including Bummer, I need a top 100 guy coming back. 

The Dodgers have been to and lost the last two world series.  They have the best team in baseball as of today.  The pressure is on them to win it all this year.  If they come calling about Colome and/or Bummer, Hahn needs to make them pay up.  I would ask for no less than Dustin May.  If they refuse and can find good upgrades elsewhere, then so be it.  But this seems like a year that the Dodgers would be willing to overpay to get the bullpen help they need.

Hand (50/50 Indians keep him)

Vazquez, Pitt (depends on standings)

Yates, SD (on paper, best year of any closer and one more year of control like Colome)

Greene, Detroit

Giles, Toronto

If at least half those guys are on the market, Colome’s not going to fetch a top prospect...

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

The Dodgers have been to and lost the last two world series.  They have the best team in baseball as of today.  The pressure is on them to win it all this year.  If they come calling about Colome and/or Bummer, Hahn needs to make them pay up.  I would ask for no less than Dustin May.  If they refuse and can find good upgrades elsewhere, then so be it.  But this seems like a year that the Dodgers would be willing to overpay to get the bullpen help they need.

Richard Justice was quoting Earl Weaver today on MLB.  "If you get the guy you want when you are trying to win the World Series...the price you pay doesn't matter."  Colome and/or Bummer can get a haul from the Dodgers.   

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hand (50/50 Indians keep him)

Vazquez, Pitt (depends on standings)

Yates, SD (on paper, best year of any closer and one more year of control like Colome)

Greene, Detroit

Giles, Toronto

If at least half those guys are on the market, Colome’s not going to fetch a top prospect...

Colome alone won't, but would as a package with Bummer.  I doubt Hand is traded with the Indians currently holding a wildcard spot.  The Padres have said they would have to be "overwhelmed" to trade Yates.  I doubt he's moved.  And Vazquez is up in the air.  There may not actually be that many good relievers available this year.  Plus, Bummer would probably be the second best lefty on the market if he's made available, behind Will Smith, and may even be seen as more valuable than Smith give the years of control.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really like Josiah Gray but if we're including Bummer, I need a top 100 guy coming back. 

FanGraphs has him 110. Guessing at update time he takes a big jump since he has yet to lose a game and has great peripherals.