Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

20 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

What are realistic expectations for a guy that was traded for Omar Narvaez? It feels like teams would be looking at Colome as a guy they could get for nothing 

Narvaez has been one of the best catchers in baseball through 1/3 of the season and Colome one of the best closers.   If teams think the price is nothing they are mistaken.  I'd say if they trade him early (before July) he should get a top 100 guy, back end sure but could get a top 100 guy.  Might have to toss in a little filler, maybe some cash.

29 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'd say put a silly value on him and if teams dont meet it just keep him. 

Agreed. Demand a T50 prospect or he remains your stud closer for another year and a half. Win-Win situation for the Sox

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. No reason to rush this one when he’s under team control again next year, a year in which the Sox may have plans to compete.

That extra year of control is worth a lot.  Waiting to trade him you risk 1) injury, 2) performance dip and for sure 3) less trade value due to less control for acquiring club

If you chase two rabbits you'll lose them both.  Learned that in Civ 4.  Just trade him while he's at peak value.  The Sox can find a closer when they are good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Then I don't think they're trading with the Cubs

Yup.

Colome is valuable because he could be valuable to the 2020 Sox, so the Cubs need to pony up.

And it's not even like Hoerner is a super elite prospect like he paid for Chapman or Q.

If I were the Sox I'd target SP, in particular LHP. Huge organizational need. 

I really like Colome, but the Sox can sign a closer in the offseason. Cash in now. Colome is likely to be the #1 closer on the market. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1