Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you could make a very valid argument that they are worth about the same. I think hand had more control, and hes lefty, so I'd give him the slight edge but it's not much.

Colome and Hand are both good to +good but not elite relievers. There really arent very many elite of the elite guys though.

Slight edge?  When you have another year of control, throw lefty and strike hitters out....that’s a lot more than slight edge.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you could make a very valid argument that they are worth about the same. I think hand had more control, and hes lefty, so I'd give him the slight edge but it's not much.

Colome and Hand are both good to +good but not elite relievers. There really arent very many elite of the elite guys though.

He strikes out 10% more batters, 10th among relievers. Colome is 58th. The market will answer this soon enough.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

He strikes out 10% more batters, 10th among relievers. Colome is 58th. The market will answer this soon enough.

Yeah, but I also think the market has already begun to correct - meaning reliever rentals arent going to continue to be traded for top 30-40 prospects. 

Colome is probably worth a 75-100 guy to a team that's close though. 

The surplus value on trading an actual prospect for a reliever has never matched up.

9 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

He would be the one I think they should consider trading 

The Sox gave Herrera a guaranteed $18 million over two years.  He is currently sporting a 7.13 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP.  What should they consider trading him for?  No one would take him unless you paid most of his remaining $18 million dollar salary.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Slight edge?  When you have another year of control, throw lefty and strike hitters out....that’s a lot more than slight edge.

The year of control for relievers isnt as valuable because of their volatility. 

Colome has shown a track record of success while adjusting his stuff and role. 

Colome is also nearing the point in which his ERA and FIP variance can be tied to contact quality suppression. He does a lot of things well. 

I think Hand was overpaid for, Cleveland had soured on Mejia, to begin with and him being a lefty is his biggest advantage.

I dont think I'd value one much higher than the other ROS.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Try to make a trade like the Sox did with the Padres . Go for guys like Tatis or .... look at what the Astros' gave up for Josh Fields ( a relief pitcher). They got the guy who destroyed the minors then hit a HR in his 2nd ML AB, Yordan Alvarez. The Stros got him even before he made his pro debut. Isn't that the same thing that happened with Tatis ?

Alvarez was signed for $2 million as part of the Dodgers' record $166.9 million spending spree (counting bonuses, big league guarantees and penalty tax) during the 2015-16 international signing period,

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Only a crazy person wouldn’t trade Abreu and Leury for Seth Beer.  Leave it to Greg to be that person.

Regardless, the Astros don’t likely need Abreu.  They just called up one of their top prospects, 1B/LF Yordan Alvarez, and he homered in his first game.

Greg can accept an Abreu trade only to the Cubs. True I don't watch the Cubs (even with Q) but if he stays in Chicago I'm OK with a deal. I worship him. In a perfect world I get Avi and Jose both on my fave team, the Sox.

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg can accept an Abreu trade only to the Cubs. True I don't watch the Cubs (even with Q) but if he stays in Chicago I'm OK with a deal. I worship him. In a perfect world I get Avi and Jose both on my fave team, the Sox.

So if you don’t watch the Cubs, why would you care if Abreu gets traded to the Cubs as oppposed to any other team?  He will be on a team that you likely don’t watch either way so why do you care?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

47 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So if you don’t watch the Cubs, why would you care if Abreu gets traded to the Cubs as oppposed to any other team?  He will be on a team that you likely don’t watch either way so why do you care?

He'd still be in chicago.

52 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think the real question is why is a grown ass man worshipping a professional athlete?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I think the real question is why is a grown ass man worshipping a professional athlete?

I apologize as I don't worship him in the figurative sense of bowing down in front of a god, little g.

I worship him as I did Konerko and Buehrle and Ozzie, guys like that. Worship I guess is the wrong word. I worship them in a sports sense, not religious.

Todays Sun Times implies that both Colome and McCann might be traded before the deadline. Given Hahns dreadful track record in trades, I'm almost afraid to see what the White Sox will get  in return if these 2 are traded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Todays Sun Times implies that both Colome and McCann might be traded before the deadline. Given Hahns dreadful track record in trades, I'm almost afraid to see what the White Sox will get  in return if these 2 are traded.

The White Sox are struggling to get to .500 with these two players. Imagine how it will be without them. 

7 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It would be foolish not to shop guys like McCann and Colome, at least to gauge what their market value would be. Relief help is always in demand at the deadline, and a guy like Colome should be an attractive trade chip. 

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You don't need to be a baseball insider to assume Colome might be traded before the deadline.  Actually...anyone might be traded before the deadline.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

I apologize as I don't worship him in the figurative sense of bowing down in front of a god, little g.

I worship him as I did Konerko and Buehrle and Ozzie, guys like that. Worship I guess is the wrong word. I worship them in a sports sense, not religious.

Perhaps you just appreciate their skill sets.

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Watch the White Sox win three in a row and everyone starts talking about buying again. 

Said it before but I would still acquire andrew cashner to provide some starter relief. He should not require sending much out. He's not good, but he may perform better against the AL central teams vs. AL east, and is still averaging 5.33 innings per start. It's like what Ivan Nova was supposed to be.

35 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Watch the White Sox win three in a row and everyone starts talking about buying again. 

I don't want them to buy, as much as I want them to stand pat. I just don't think they'd get anything worthwhile for their players. I don't want them trading McCann either because he's been really good for the young pitchers. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/6/10/18660540/white-sox-gm-might-have-tough-decisions-to-make-at-trade-deadline

‘‘Perhaps a tricky one here over the next few weeks. We are going to have guys who other teams want. From our standpoint, it’s always going to be about putting us in the best long-term position. We haven’t quite pivoted to that strictly win-now, short-term focus.’’ -- Rick Hahn

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't want them to buy, as much as I want them to stand pat. I just don't think they'd get anything worthwhile for their players. I don't want them trading McCann either because he's been really good for the young pitchers. 

Trading McCann would be used to define dumb.