Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Those pieces should come from free agency.  Trading Colome isn’t going to fill an immediate major league need.

To me, Colome gets traded for a piece that is eventually used in a package to get a more established star

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I am saying that Colome is a better product. 

For the record...I like Cordell.  Needs some playing time.  Five tool player but none of the tools are elite.

Cordell is a very good defensive right fielder, who thus far has shown neither the ability to manage the strike zone nor the ability to crush mistakes ala Palka.  The sound the ball makes coming off his bat sounds like a wet kitchen sponge being hit with a roll of Christmas wrap.  Very similar to Adam Engel, imho.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Cordell is a very good defensive right fielder, who thus far has shown neither the ability to manage the strike zone nor the ability to crush mistakes ala Palka.  The sound the ball makes coming off his bat sounds like a wet kitchen sponge being hit with a roll of Christmas wrap.  Very similar to Adam Engel, imho.

Not saying he's the answer to our right field problem at this time.  Simply said I like him and he needs development time.

11 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So he is less than a five tool player??

The term five tool player is generally reserved for Trout type players.  I am saying Cordell has all five tool set abilities but they are not fully developed.  Avi was frequently referred to in this same manner.  Avi's hit tools and arm were better developed than his fielding.  Cordell is developed in fielding but needs more work in the hitting department.  

Konerko for example had NO run tool.  Thomas had No arm.  Palka has the power tool but lacks all others.  

Edited by poppysox

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, we're close enough and in need of bullpen pieces enough that I'd take the chance on holding guys once they have had a decent season. For every guy we trade, we're going to have to find a replacement next offseason. May as well keep the guy around assuming no one offers anything ludicrous in return. 

This post should be MEMORIZED by all Sox fans. Why is this so hard for people to consider?? He is right. If you think Bummer and Colome are good enough to help next season you don't trade them. You'll just have to find replacements. Ditto Abreu, McCann, any of our good players. We are .500. In the old days we'd be figuring out a way to get the wild card NOW in 2019. Unfortunately fans want to build a team there's no doubt it'll cruise to a minimum of the AL championship. No longer do we want to find a way into the playoffs cause fans assume we'll lose. Nobody wants to compete anymore, catch lightning in the postseason and WIN IT ALL as the wild card. GREAT BALTA POST!!!

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This post should be MEMORIZED by all Sox fans. Why is this so hard for people to consider?? He is right. If you think Bummer and Colome are good enough to help next season you don't trade them. You'll just have to find replacements. Ditto Abreu, McCann, any of our good players. We are .500. In the old days we'd be figuring out a way to get the wild card NOW in 2019. Unfortunately fans want to build a team there's no doubt it'll cruise to a minimum of the AL championship. No longer do we want to find a way into the playoffs cause fans assume we'll lose. Nobody wants to compete anymore, catch lightning in the postseason and WIN IT ALL as the wild card. GREAT BALTA POST!!!

I agree that keeping the good players is the way to go.  We all agree the young core players are off the table.  Balta's stipulation of getting overpaid is of course reasonable when discussing Abreu and Colome because of limited time left on contracts and careers.  I never what to be left empty handed when a good player leaves.  If the FO feels Abreu and Colome will have the same value next year at this time then hang on to them.  I am personally more comfortable extending these type of players for the term they will be useful pieces.  In both Colome's & Abreu's case probably a two year extension is probably adequate.  If player and team can not agree on terms for the extension I definitely trade them.  No way do you want to come away empty handed.  When a decision to trade a player is made...better a year to early than a year to late.

16 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Luke Jackson blew another save for the Braves tonight. They desperately need a closer. Could be a good match in terms of a Colome trade if the Sox decide to listen to offers.

I absolutely love the Drew Waters suggestion.  Don’t know how realistic it is though.  He’s the Braves’ #5 prospect and rated #59 overall by MLB.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I absolutely love the Drew Waters suggestion.  Don’t know how realistic it is though.  He’s the Braves’ #5 prospect and rated #59 overall by MLB.

I'm on the Waters train and have suggested it as well.  Waters has no position on ATL.  Their outfield is set and Pache is in front of him.  

5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm on the Waters train and have suggested it as well.  Waters has no position on ATL.  Their outfield is set and Pache is in front of him.  

He is exactly what we should be looking for.  A player ready for the majors but blocked.  

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

That's what you expect to pay for a reliable closer.  They don't come for free.

10 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Luke Jackson blew another save for the Braves tonight. They desperately need a closer. Could be a good match in terms of a Colome trade if the Sox decide to listen to offers.

I'm all in on Kolby Allard, Joey Wentz, and Kyle Muller.  2 of those 3 for Colome and I'm good.

22 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Drew Waters might be approaching untradeable territory.  He would probably cost Colome and Bummer (and the Braves might still say no to that).  I wouldn't say he's blocked in Atlanta.  Their outfield would be Acuna, Pache, Waters.  Riley will move back to 3B after this year.

If you're trading 2 controllable elite relievers as those 2 have been you better be getting a top 10 bonafide prospect back. 

25 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Drew Waters might be approaching untradeable territory.  He would probably cost Colome and Bummer (and the Braves might still say no to that).  I wouldn't say he's blocked in Atlanta.  Their outfield would be Acuna, Pache, Waters.  Riley will move back to 3B after this year.

That trade won't be happening.

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Where does Colome fit among relievers who will be available at the deadline?  Is he even in the top 10?

Edit: I just looked and according to Fangraphs he's 90th among relievers with a 0.2 WAR.  Wow

WAR isn’t really a good stat towards relievers. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Where does Colome fit among relievers who will be available at the deadline?  Is he even in the top 10?

Edit: I just looked and according to Fangraphs he's 90th among relievers with a 0.2 WAR.  Wow

And Luke Jackson is ranked 16th.  Tells you all you need to know about using WAR to evaluate relievers/closers.