Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

There are some people who like seeing Juan Minaya and Matt Davidson as our closers. There are also some people who are into a perpetual rebuild. The White Sox finally have a closer (Colome) who saves games. He's the first good closer the team has had since David Robertson. Unless the team gets a overwhelming offer for him, ( I don't mean another Blake Rutherford) I hope he stays here. I go to half of our home games. Its good to see somebody like Colome coming in and saving our games.

Well, outside of Greg, that's just simply not true.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And they’ve already shown they can hang with Houston albeit a somewhat depleted Houston team. That September schedule looks really soft, especially if the Indians go into a complete tail spin and start tearing down their big league roster in another 8 weeks.

I forgot about @Tampa so if you could delete and add my edit that would be great. 

Just now, Richie said:

Can we just keep him and make the playoffs instead? Thanks. 

We’re going to find out in a couple weeks what this team is made of. June 13 - 30 is easily the most difficult stretch of their schedule this season. Sure would be nice to not only have Colome still but also have Cease and Keuchel for that stretch to give themselves a fighting chance of staying afloat.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

We’re going to find out in a couple weeks what this team is made of. June 13 - 30 is easily the most difficult stretch of their schedule this season. Sure would be nice to not only have Colome still but also have Cease and Keuchel for that stretch to give themselves a fighting chance of staying afloat.

I'd only sign Keuchel to a 1 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m sure if they offered $16M or $17M he would.

For 60% of a season? Not sure Uncle Jerry would sign off on that. 

It's not my money, so if I were Hahn I'd be on the phone with Boras offering $14M for the remainder Monday morning. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Don't trade him. He is 11 for 11 in saves. Why is it everyone on here wants to keeping pissing away wins this year and next year for a guy who might or might not make the majors in two or three years. Let's look at all we've gotten for our recent flips (Let me know if I've forgotten anyone, anyone). Kodi Medieros, Blake Rutherford, and Ti'Q Forbes. NONE OF THEM ARE EVER GOING TO PLAY IN THE MAJORS. None of them. 

A team wins with good players. Let's keep our good players, watch the young ones continue to improve, and win some game this year and into the future. All you guys who say let's sign another closer next winter, does that help now? I know this seems weird on the board, but I like it when the White Sox win, and YES, this year too. Do you really think we can sign a guy who will be 11 or 11 in saves at the start of June next winter?

I love you vile, and that's not hyperbole. My kinda poster. Another guy I would like to see in the Cell stands this summer if I go to 2 games. Great post IMO.

Some people wanna flip Colome for a prospect or two, then I guess in the winter sign another closer who is good to lead our team  next season. Logic says, uh, if you are going to need to acquire one in 7 months, why not just keep the one you have now? "Wait til next year" is a lousy saying IMO. Let's win as many games as we can now and again next season. Let's leave the flip to the chef at Wonderburger on 111th and Kedzie.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

There are some people who like seeing Juan Minaya and Matt Davidson as our closers. There are also some people who are into a perpetual rebuild. The White Sox finally have a closer (Colome) who saves games. He's the first good closer the team has had since David Robertson. Unless the team gets a overwhelming offer for him, ( I don't mean another Blake Rutherford) I hope he stays here. I go to half of our home games. Its good to see somebody like Colome coming in and saving our games.

WBW you are what's right with our fandom. This guy (WBWSF) goes to half the fricking games!! Of course he deserves to have a closer on his favorite team who can get people out in the ninth and win some of the games he pays TOP DOLLAR to attend. When WBW is drinking his 10 dollar soft drink and eating his 8 dollar hot dog (greg estimates) or chugging his 11 dollar beer (greg estimate) he deserves to WIN if possible. Giving away a fairly reliable closer for some prospect is so damn stupid IMO. When does the fan count just a little bit???? The prospect in all likelihood won't ever sniff the bigs. GO SOX! GO WBW, you sir are a real fan.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yeah, I was only being half serious. I realize that the playoffs is still a bit of a pipe dream. We're still more likely to be 10 games below .500 come August than we are to be square in the middle of things. However, it's fun to dream here while we can. 

If we can just stay .500 during that stretch, that would be a big win. Happily surprised by how Banuelos and Covey managed the past couple of nights. However, I cannot possibly expect it to maintain that course. Either or both of those guys would be welcomed. However, I'm also not sure that overbidding for Kuechel just to help us this year (when we're not making a serious run) is a smart move. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

WBW you are what's right with our fandom. This guy (WBWSF) goes to half the fricking games!! Of course he deserves to have a closer on his favorite team who can get people out in the ninth and win some of the games he pays TOP DOLLAR to attend. When WBW is drinking his 10 dollar soft drink and eating his 8 dollar hot dog (greg estimates) or chugging his 11 dollar beer (greg estimate) he deserves to WIN if possible. Giving away a fairly reliable closer for some prospect is so damn stupid IMO. When does the fan count just a little bit???? The prospect in all likelihood won't ever sniff the bigs. GO SOX! GO WBW, you sir are a real fan.

On this date in history, WBWSF ascended to levels of respect only seen by others such as Ozzie Guillen, Hawk Harrelson, and Avisail Garcia. 6/1/19 - WBWSF etched into the greg775 Mount Rushmore. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Greg, you're a journalist. You have Google. Stop doing this bullshit (greg estimate) thing to do a make a point. You can (greg does 30 seconds of research) and find accurate information that blows up your strawman arguments.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-cost-of-a-beer-and-a-hot-dog-at-fenway-vs-other-mlb-parks/ss-BBL8FAm#image=18

Beer: $7 (larger cups than average)

Hot dog: $4.50

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Greg, you're a journalist. You have Google. Stop doing this bullshit (greg estimate) thing to do a make a point. You can (greg does 30 seconds of research) and find accurate information that blows up your strawman arguments.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-cost-of-a-beer-and-a-hot-dog-at-fenway-vs-other-mlb-parks/ss-BBL8FAm#image=18

Beer: $7 (larger cups than average)

Hot dog: $4.50

Why do research and have actual facts when you can blindly throw out bs numbers to make some point that is nonsensical and inaccurate? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richie said:

Yeah, I was only being half serious. I realize that the playoffs is still a bit of a pipe dream. We're still more likely to be 10 games below .500 come August than we are to be square in the middle of things. However, it's fun to dream here while we can. 

If we can just stay .500 during that stretch, that would be a big win. Happily surprised by how Banuelos and Covey managed the past couple of nights. However, I cannot possibly expect it to maintain that course. Either or both of those guys would be welcomed. However, I'm also not sure that overbidding for Kuechel just to help us this year (when we're not making a serious run) is a smart move. 

It’s just money (money that was already earmarked for Machado mind you) and a one year deal has no effect on payroll or offseason plans for next season and beyond.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

dAlex Colome is not part of this team's long term future.

But, we have seen the White Sox convince themselves not to sell pieces when they were only a few games below .500 before (2015), and they will absolutely need substantial bullpen upgrades this offseason even if they keep him. 

If you want to make a case to keep him, it isn't "is he part of the future", it's "this guy isn't bad, if we want a competent bullpen in 2020 we need several more guys like that". 

You and I don't know what the FO is going to do with these two guys.  We may have an opinion but we are not the decision makers.  I was not making a case for anything but rather pointing out that decisions on Abreu & Colome are near and the team could go in several directions.  As so many things in life...it's trying to improve the overall teams while using as few resources as possible.  Every player is tradeable and every player is available if the price is right.

Edited by poppysox

15 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

The Braves would be an EXCELLENT trade partner.  They won their division last year and want to go deeper in the playoffs this year.  They have an excellent starting lineup with several utility players that could start for a lot of teams.  Pitching wise, their strength is SP.  They literally have 8 starting  pitchers on their MLB roster, 3 of which have to be used in the bullpen for obvious reasons.  Any one of those 3 pitchers would be #2 in the Sox rotation.  Their one Achilles tendon:  no reliable closer.

They also have a top 5 farm system, if they want to go the prospect route. A top 50 prospect would not be out of the question.

Braves are going to snag Kimbrel.  The two have been talking for awhile and obviously they have history.

I don't know if Colome is going to get the return most of you guys seem to expect. Yeah, his ERA is good right now, but the advanced stats seem to indicate he is in for a ton of regression. He has a .185 wOBA which is in the top 1% of the league, but he has a .308 xwOBA. He has a 1.59 ERA, but a 4.23 xFIP. Those huge spreads seem to indicate a good amount of luck and good defense so far. His xFIP- is only 94 (meaning he has only been 6% better than MLB average) while his .308 xwOBA is only .010 better than league average. Maybe he will be able to sustain numbers better than his expected stats, but even then in his career he has only out performed his xFIP by 1 (right now its 2.64) and his xwOBA by .025 (right now its .123).

Maybe we can sell high right now to a dumb team (Mets?), but I just don't expect us to get a ton in return when we do offload him. Of course there are other ways for us to increase our return by packaging a smaller piece or eating money, but I'm not going to factor those in when trying to figure out what kind of return I would want from these teams.

If it's legitimate interest, they probably should pull the trigger.  Big IF though.

But they can replace Colome.  And what we're seeing out of Colome might not have much more staying power anyway.

It's not about a perpetual rebuild.  It's about making a real contender, instead of some faux 78 win team.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I don't know if Colome is going to get the return most of you guys seem to expect. Yeah, his ERA is good right now, but the advanced stats seem to indicate he is in for a ton of regression. He has a .185 wOBA which is in the top 1% of the league, but he has a .308 xwOBA. He has a 1.59 ERA, but a 4.23 xFIP. Those huge spreads seem to indicate a good amount of luck and good defense so far. His xFIP- is only 94 (meaning he has only been 6% better than MLB average) while his .308 xwOBA is only .010 better than league average. Maybe he will be able to sustain numbers better than his expected stats, but even then in his career he has only out performed his xFIP by 1 (right now its 2.64) and his xwOBA by .025 (right now its .123).

Maybe we can sell high right now to a dumb team (Mets?), but I just don't expect us to get a ton in return when we do offload him. Of course there are other ways for us to increase our return by packaging a smaller piece or eating money, but I'm not going to factor those in when trying to figure out what kind of return I would want from these teams.

That's what I'm saying. People here think we will get a prospect like Nico Hoerner for him easily. No chance. I will personally eat my shoe and record it for soxtalk to see if we land Nico Hoerner for Colombe. 

Edited by ron883

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

That's what I'm saying. People here think we will get a prospect like Nico Hoerner for him easily. No chance. I will personally eat my shoe and record it for soxtalk to see if we land Nico Hoerner for Colombe. 

I'll add that to your "ban bet".

Edited by SoxAce

29 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ron, talk to me about Nico.  You obviously like him better than Madrigal, right?  I look at what Cubs gave up for Q and why they did it.  Similar situation now.  Maybe you should put some salt and pepper on your shoe.