Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If a team just offered the backend top 100 guy for McCann, would you turn that down? 

Hypothetically, if the White Sox were 2 games behind the Twins and Castillo was out catcher and McCann was raking in Detroit, would you give up Madrigal for that? Madrigal + Bush? 

(I don't know that I know the answer to these, I'm trying to figure out what I think his value is). 

One issue is I can't really think of a contender that would want a catcher. If we think of one I could put together a package I'd want. Not a fan of the "top 100 prospect" template because there are many in backend of top 50 I'd want less than some of the guys in the 8-15 range of a team list.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Lopez has mostly been caught by castillo. And I have a hard time assigning Giolito's resurgence and velocity to mccann. As someone else said, if someone is going to pay you as if Mccann is a top 5 catcher on a 2.5 mill deal, you listen.

Well, I think that McCann and Giolito have clicked on a pretty high level and if they were to trade him I think that you'd see Gio's numbers go down, at least slightly. He's been really good at in-game adjustments and that can't be understated. They haven't had a catcher this good at calling a game since AJP. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If a team just offered the backend top 100 guy for McCann, would you turn that down? 

Hypothetically, if the White Sox were 2 games behind the Twins and Castillo was out catcher and McCann was raking in Detroit, would you give up Madrigal for that? Madrigal + Bush? 

(I don't know that I know the answer to these, I'm trying to figure out what I think his value is). 

I would probably eventually take just the back-end top 100 guy, depending on who he is. 

I would not trade Madrigal and Bush for McCann, but we're not 2 games behind the twins and were in the midst of a rebuild so its hard for me to really say that.  A team that is desperate for a catching upgrade and the midst of the race and perhaps at the backend of a contention window may consider it. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Well, I think that McCann and Giolito have clicked on a pretty good level and if they were to trade him I think that you'd see Gio's numbers go down, at least slightly. He's been really good at in-game adjustments and that can't be understated. They haven't had a catcher this good at calling a game since AJP. 

Well when I read your statement I think "Giolito's numbers going down slightly for half a year may be worth getting a good package back", and that's different than risking Giolitos development.

Plus they could just go hard for Grandal in offseason.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Well when I read your statement I think "Giolito's numbers going down slightly for half a year may be worth getting a good package back", and that's different than risking Giolitos development.

Plus they could just go hard for Grandal in offseason.

If they're thinking of trading McCann I'd like to see them switch out Castillo for McCann for one turn through the rotation just to see what happens. 

They should go get Grandal regardless of whether or not they trade McCann. Collins can play 1B/DH while Vaughn gets seasoning in the minors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

OK so feasible teams going after catcher

Rays

Twins

Nats if they go on a run

Dodgers

I'm not sold Dodgers would give up on Barnes/Martin. I'm not convinced sox would trade with twins. That's a pretty limited market.

Having a reasonably young catcher performing like an All-Star on a cheap deal takes the cake and the only reason to trade him is if you believe he is going to regress in a big way. We would be hard pressed to replace his production even with Grandal (who admittedly has done it longer) at $20m+/yr. I don't understand why we wouldn't extend him. No way would I trade him.

I think it's extremely unlikely that McCann is traded.  No team is going to offer a good prospect for him because they will simply think he's in the middle of a career year and will regress to the norm soon, which is probably the case.  And from the Sox perspective, dealing McCann just opens a hole at catcher they will then have to fill this offseason, with perhaps a more expensive, less productive player.  Add in the great rapport he has established with Giolito, and there just doesn't seem to be any way a trade happens.

IMO, Colome and perhaps Abreu are the only two that Hahn will be weighing offers on.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think it's extremely unlikely that McCann is traded.  No team is going to offer a good prospect for him because they will simply think he's in the middle of a career year and will regress to the norm soon, which is probably the case.  And from the Sox perspective, dealing McCann just opens a hole at catcher they will then have to fill this offseason, with perhaps a more expensive, less productive player.  Add in the great rapport he has established with Giolito, and there just doesn't seem to be any way a trade happens.

IMO, Colome and perhaps Abreu are the only two that Hahn will be weighing offers on.

Agreed, and I wouldn't trade either Abreu or Colome for Cordell/Medeiros types. 

If I were the Sox, I'd use the TDL to get a head start on 2020. If there are any potential long-term pieces to grab from other teams, go ahead and do it, but otherwise stand pat.  I wish Carlos Rodon were healthy and pitching well because I would have loved to try to nab Kyle Tucker from the Astros for him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

OK so feasible teams going after catcher

Rays

Twins

Nats if they go on a run

Dodgers

I'm not sold Dodgers would give up on Barnes/Martin. I'm not convinced sox would trade with twins. That's a pretty limited market.

Twins?  Twins have the best catching platoon in the league so far. Garver and Castro have combined for 3.0 fWAR.  

I would like for the sox to target someone like Drew Waters and  Tucker Davidson. Good looking switch hitting CF that can play all three positions and fits in well with this next wave of talent and a LHP that at best is a 4/5 in the rotation or a killer out of the pen.

Also will be very interested to see what the Phillies will do as well. They've pressed Haseley into service; Colome and Garcia could net a very solid haul from them as they're all in and tied with the braves in the standings and they were in on Kimbrel. A Bohm & Haseley headlined package would be interesting. We need Alex Rios to be the gift that keeps giving.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Twins?  Twins have the best catching platoon in the league so far. Garver and Castro have combined for 3.0 fWAR.  

Yeah it sucks filtering for catchers because the plate appearances. So...the rays I guess.

4 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s probably worth keeping around since he’s still youngish and our only other in-house option going forward is Collins, who many have doubts will stick at catcher.

McCann is a good catcher and we need a good catcher.  Trade Abreu or Colome if someone wants to pay a fair price.  Leave McCann alone.

• Like 1

I always up until this trade season have been pro trading guys for whatever minor league assets we could get but I do think this season is different. No, I don't have any misconceived dreams of making the playoffs even so we all know that this is not a championship level team. I think this year is different for a few reasons. 

I realize that every player/person looks at an opportunity to play/work differently and weighs different pro/cons. I do believe that winning does play a factor in each players decision how big or small is player dependent.  But no less a factor and the difference between winning 77 games compared to 70 games could cost dollars or even an opportunity to land a big fish. 

I suppose if you were to say the most likely White Sox moved that have value would be Colome and Abreu with the outside chance of McCann. I would argue though that these players have a considerable amount of value for developing the young guys/current assets on the team. Whenever you trade them there is always risk that the you could hinder their growth. From all indications Abreu has been a great team leader of the club house and Moncada has specifically has expressed gratitude for being able to play with him. There is a sense of stability for young pitchers to hand over the ball to the bullpen with Colome being brilliant this year. McCann could be a huge part of Lucas Giolito's success. Who knows maybe none of this matters to the young guys success but what happens if it does? As an organization are you willing to bet on that? 

Next year should be the first year of the championship window. The White Sox finally have seen improvements from their internal players such Giolito, Moncada and Anderson. Additionally, they could potentially add a few strong additions in Kopech, Robert and Cease. This alone should give the organization a huge boost towards success. As soon as the White Sox brought Moncada/Giolito up they started the clock on when they will hit free agency. At this point, Each are suppose to be  hitting free agency in 4.5 years. They need to start winning while these guys are cheap and cost controlled. It will start getting more difficult when the young guys service time starts expiring because the White Sox don't spend like the big guys to keep their championship window open. Colome and McCann are still under contract for next season. I don't see a clear successor for either right now at their positions. Abreu could theoretically be signed back in the offseason but he has expressed not wanting to be traded. Would the White Sox still be a preferred destination if he did get traded? Plus, I think it is just good business to keep your star franchise players. 

I am not saying don't listen to offers. But, I do think its worth establishing a high price and holding to it. And if its not met than hold onto to the players because they could very well be most valuable to the White Sox. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwill said:

I always up until this trade season have been pro trading guys for whatever minor league assets we could get but I do think this season is different. No, I don't have any misconceived dreams of making the playoffs even so we all know that this is not a championship level team. I think this year is different for a few reasons. 

I realize that every player/person looks at an opportunity to play/work differently and weighs different pro/cons. I do believe that winning does play a factor in each players decision how big or small is player dependent.  But no less a factor and the difference between winning 77 games compared to 70 games could cost dollars or even an opportunity to land a big fish. 

I suppose if you were to say the most likely White Sox moved that have value would be Colome and Abreu with the outside chance of McCann. I would argue though that these players have a considerable amount of value for developing the young guys/current assets on the team. Whenever you trade them there is always risk that the you could hinder their growth. From all indications Abreu has been a great team leader of the club house and Moncada has specifically has expressed gratitude for being able to play with him. There is a sense of stability for young pitchers to hand over the ball to the bullpen with Colome being brilliant this year. McCann could be a huge part of Lucas Giolito's success. Who knows maybe none of this matters to the young guys success but what happens if it does? As an organization are you willing to bet on that? 

Next year should be the first year of the championship window. The White Sox finally have seen improvements from their internal players such Giolito, Moncada and Anderson. Additionally, they could potentially add a few strong additions in Kopech, Robert and Cease. This alone should give the organization a huge boost towards success. As soon as the White Sox brought Moncada/Giolito up they started the clock on when they will hit free agency. At this point, Each are suppose to be  hitting free agency in 4.5 years. They need to start winning while these guys are cheap and cost controlled. It will start getting more difficult when the young guys service time starts expiring because the White Sox don't spend like the big guys to keep their championship window open. Colome and McCann are still under contract for next season. I don't see a clear successor for either right now at their positions. Abreu could theoretically be signed back in the offseason but he has expressed not wanting to be traded. Would the White Sox still be a preferred destination if he did get traded? Plus, I think it is just good business to keep your star franchise players. 

I am not saying don't listen to offers. But, I do think its worth establishing a high price and holding to it. And if its not met than hold onto to the players because they could very well be most valuable to the White Sox. 

I agree.  You will be overpaid when some team views Abreu or Colome as key to their playoff hopes.  That will most like come if an unexpected injury happens to some contender who isn't looking at this moment.

I get the feeling Hahn wants the tank to take over the second half of the season since he feels this isn't a contender. He's like  a modern fan. He wants more prospects so he'll trade McCann, Colome, Herrera, maybe Abreu, etc. Sox have already had some highlights this year. A total collapse the second half and he gets another top draft pick.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I get the feeling Hahn wants the tank to take over the second half of the season since he feels this isn't a contender. He's like  a modern fan. He wants more prospects so he'll trade McCann, Colome, Herrera, maybe Abreu, etc. Sox have already had some highlights this year. A total collapse the second half and he gets another top draft pick.

They are 32-34.  Do you think they are a contender with the rotation they have right now?

Herrera is not tradeable right now due to his salary and performance.  Also, I see McCann being retained because he has one more year of control, Castillo will be gone, and no one knows whether or not Collins can hack it full time behind the plate.  Abreu should be traded but the way Hahn talks about him, it doesn’t sound like he will be.  Colome is the only guy I am sure will be traded.

9 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I agree. We may be only in Year 4 of the rebuild but the team is heading towards its seventh consecutive losing season. And I think that expectations for Kopech and Cease are not realistic.

And 10th in the last 13 years.