Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

Madrigal and Robert have a lot more to do with what I would like to see done with Colome. If both continue to pound the ball at AA and make the jump to a hitter-Friendly AAA we should see both by post Super 2 next year and I think that turns us into a 2020 contender. In that case I keep Colome.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

11 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Madrigal and Robert have a lot more to do with what I would like to see done with Colome. If both continue to pound the ball at AA and make the jump to a hitter-Friendly AAA we should see both by post Super 2 next year and I think that turns us into a 2020 contender. In that case I keep Colome.

If that's the case, well see both Robert and Madrigal by May next year. 

Going to say this again, any reliever that is having an elite-level year, especially if the team hovers at/below 500, you deal him.  The potential capital you receive in return greatly exceeds the value of said reliever, especially a LH MRP like Bummer.  Colome & Bummer could net us something really nice at/near the deadline..... Gets me excited.

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I always find it a bit strange for someone to spend legitimately hours per day on a message board talking White Sox, but then open admit they hardly watch any games.  To each their own I guess, but it seems a tad backwards. 

True but he does seem very well informed regardless of if you agree with his comments or not.

54 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Going to say this again, any reliever that is having an elite-level year, especially if the team hovers at/below 500, you deal him.  The potential capital you receive in return greatly exceeds the value of said reliever, especially a LH MRP like Bummer.  Colome & Bummer could net us something really nice at/near the deadline..... Gets me excited.

His lack of strikeouts is keeping him from having an elite level season.  Playoff teams want strikeout guys.  They run them out there one after another.  Colome currently ranks 120th in strikeout rate (8.23) amongst relievers.  He's a nice pitcher having a fine year but he's not elite.  He's just a guy.  

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

His lack of strikeouts is keeping him from having an elite level season.  Playoff teams want strikeout guys.  They run them out there one after another.  Colome currently ranks 120th in strikeout rate (8.23) amongst relievers.  He's a nice pitcher having a fine year but he's not elite.  He's just a guy.  

I think he was referring to Bummer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's definitely more than just "a guy". 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Does anyone believe there is a single playoff team that would view colome as anything more than 7th inning depth?

He would likely be the Twins best reliever, so yah.  

Red Sox bullpen could use some work. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He would likely be the Twins best reliever, so yah.  

Red Sox bullpen could use some work. 

Sure seems the Braves and Phillies could use some bullpen help as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkingchop.com/platform/amp/2019/6/16/18680678/braves-news-bullpen-woes-are-not-exclusive-to-the-phillies-unfortunately

Okay, I haven't posted in a while on this thread and it's back to being silly again. So here goes again: 

Hey guys, you win with good players. You don't win with bad players or players in the minors, once again who might or might not make the majors. Why do you guys keep wanting to get rid of the White Sox's best players. Keep Colome, Keep Bummer, Keep Abreu. That's how you win: with good players, not minor leaguers. 

I forget which game it was this weekend, but when Tommy Kahnle came in with his 2.77 ERA, I thought to myself, "Huh, it should would be nice to have had him for the past TWO YEARS and this year instead of Blake Rutherford STILL down in AA with his .230 batting average. 

You win with good players, and I like the White Sox when they win. Quit trying to trade all our good players so the Sox can win. You guys drive me crazy!!!!

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yeah, I'm sure they can supplement their bullpen. But the question is who views Alex Colome as the new closer or dominant reliever? If we want to talk about how valuable he is and how clearly he is going to get a haul because teams need a bullpen, surely one of those teams is going to pay for him to supplant their current top guy(s)

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I'm sure they can supplement their bullpen. But the question is who views Alex Colome as the new closer or dominant reliever? If we want to talk about how valuable he is and how clearly he is going to get a haul because teams need a bullpen, surely one of those teams is going to pay for him to supplant their current top guy(s)

This market is flush with high leverage relievers, he's probably at the bottom of most teams list. Would not trade for what I expect the return to be. 

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This market is flush with high leverage relievers, he's probably at the bottom of most teams list. Would not trade for what I expect the return to be. 

He’s been pretty dominate this year, so I don’t think he’s at the bottom, but the Sox need to ask themselves is it worth acquiring another Ryan Cordell-type player due to the amount of arms available? All the bullpen arms we thought would be the foundation have had issues. Fry regressed, Burdi has not returned to form, Burr, Hamilton, and Johnson are hurt. Vieira and Ruiz are wildly inconsistent. I think Colome has more value at the present to the Sox than other teams. You only move him if you get an overpay, which I think is unlikely.

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He’s been pretty dominate this year, so I don’t think he’s at the bottom, but the Sox need to ask themselves is it worth acquiring another Ryan Cordell-type player due to the amount of arms available? All the bullpen arms we thought would be the foundation have had issues. Fry regressed, Burdi has not returned to form, Burr, Hamilton, and Johnson are hurt. Vieira and Ruiz are wildly inconsistent. I think Colome has more value at the present to the Sox than other teams. You only move him if you get an overpay, which I think is unlikely.

This is how I look at it, and I agree you just hold onto him. 

Listen I hate jim bowden, but considering all he does is mimic other writers opinions, he's a useful sounding board.

https://theathletic.com/1025856/2019/06/14/bowden-five-trades-that-american-league-contenders-should-make/

Instead, the Red Sox should focus on the closers who are already available, such as left-handed pitcher Will Smith of the Giants, right-hander Shane Greene of the Tigers or closer Alex Colomé of the White Sox.

Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski has made several deals with the White Sox and going back to that well on a deal for Colomé probably makes sense because the prospect cost won’t be as high as the other alternatives. Colomé, 30, is having a solid year, converting all 14 of his save opportunities with an impressive WHIP of 0.722 and ERA of 2.39. In return, perhaps a package of the hard-throwing right-handers Durbin Feltman and Travis Lakins could be close to getting a trade done. 

Consistently I see colome as the "affordable" option. And here, you see two reliever prospects from one of the worst farms in baseball.

So yeah I'd probably shop bummer and keep colome.

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

We will have a 40 man crunch coming.  We need to go for a real young prospect like Flores if it  is with Boston.  Could add a lottery DSL type guy also.

the, uh, dead guy?

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He has major control issues but I’d take a chance on a big arm like D Hernandez and another lotto ticket. 

Wait, so if this is the type of return you are talking about for colome I definitely think he can return players like that, but honestly I do not like hernandez.