Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

There are plenty of guys that should be moved for whatever you can get, even if you have to eat their full salaries:

Abreu

Nova

Jay

Castillo

Yolmer

Colome and Leury are the only guys in which the return should be scrutinized.

But if a team doesn't want any of those guys, then it's not really a failure since there was just no interest.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think this is some early morning media placement. I still think Colome may stay, but I don’t think Hahn is getting the return he wants, so he leaks this out to Bob, see what happens in a few hours. 

1000%

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

But if a team doesn't want any of those guys, then it's not really a failure since there was just no interest.

True, but I do believe there is interest in Abreu, Nova, Colome, and Leury.  The Brewers traded for Jordan Lyles so Nova is likely moveable.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There are plenty of guys that should be moved for whatever you can get, even if you have to eat their full salaries:

Abreu

Nova

Jay

Castillo

Yolmer

I honestly don't know what's going on with Abreu. But, he has a 0.5 fWAR and that is, um, really bad and idk if they should keep him around regardless. I think that if the Sox let him go, he's going to have a hard time finding a job next year, tbh. My TB return in that thread was based on what Nightengale said on the radio yesterday, and I really don't think he's worth trading either, and I'm not sure he's worth bringing back at any price. It's tough because the kids love the guy, but when a guy sucks, he sucks. If Abreu wants to come back on a 1 year deal worth like $9M or less you think about it, but I'm not going to 8 figures on him nor am I going more than 1 year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not so sure there is any interest in anyone on that list other than Colome. 

Abreu would have interest on his name and reputation alone, especially if the Sox picked up his remaining money for this year.  The Rays were mentioned for Abreu.  The same goes for Nova - if Jordan Lyles was traded for, Nova could be too.  And Leury as a utility guy who can hit a bit, earning chump change, and under control for another season?  I’m sure there is interest in him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not so sure there is any interest in anyone on that list other than Colome. 

I’d be surprised if there weren’t calls on Leury. The cubs could sure use him for instance. 

Hes a lot harder to trade than Colome if you have any allusions of being good in 2020 though. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Abreu would have interest on his name and reputation alone, especially if the Sox picked up his remaining money for this year.  The Rays were mentioned for Abreu.  The same goes for Nova - if Jordan Lyles was traded for, Nova could be too.  And Leury as a utility guy who can hit a bit, earning chump change, and under control for another season?  I’m sure there is interest in him.

Yeah I just think it is more likely Garcia opens the year at 2B next year (with Engel or some other fill-in in CF) until Madrigal comes up.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I just think it is more likely Garcia opens the year at 2B next year (with Engel or some other fill-in in CF) until Madrigal comes up.

And I’m fine with that if no one makes a good offer for Leury.  But like I said, only the return for Colome and Leury should be truly evaluated.  Take whatever you can get for everyone else.

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Soria < Martin  Allard = Medieros

Funny. I’m sorry but you’re just wrong. Are we talking about the same Martin that’s never closed before and only has a grand total 116 IP in MLB? Zero track record for a dude that’s 33 years old. Even if you throw all that out and just look at the present, last year Soria was pitching just as well as Martin is this year but as the team’s primary closer, not 7th/8th inning guy (the guy has 5 career saves, Soria had 3x that at the time of the trade last season alone). Secondly, when was Kodi ever rated a top 100 MLB prospect? Lastly, Allard was recently/consistently rated a top 100 guy, was the #12 prospect in a very good Braves system earlier this month, and has more than held his own in AAA the last two years as a 21/22 year old.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s fine if you keep him to contend next year, but then you better break the bank this offseason.

Just now, mqr said:

The better break the bank regardless. 

Yep, whether they trade Colome or not.

You could argue that a good return for one year of Colome is worth figuring out closer later for next year.  Whether Colome is traded or not, no one can argue that the Sox shouldn’t spend big on starting pitching this offseason.  It’s their biggest hole without a doubt.

38 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Abreu

Nova

Jay

Castillo

Yolmer

100% disagree on Abreu.  You either get a solid piece or hold onto him.  There are off the field considerations you are ignoring, such as how the broader fansbase would react to dealing our most recognizable name for nothing and potentially tertiary impacts to Moncada.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

not that you are saying this, but just a reminder that the sox media negotiating this last winter consistently blew up in their face

Wait a minute, are you saying that telling everyone that you're offering a player $125 million below market value isn't a good strategy?? 

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

not that you are saying this, but just a reminder that the sox media negotiating this last winter consistently blew up in their face

This is at least more standard and makes way more sense than whatever the plan was with the 7/175 thing. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This is at least more standard and makes way more sense than whatever the plan was with the 7/175 thing. 

but also unneccessary. Nobody can convince me this shit moves the needle. But now if they trade colome...are they not planning to compete in 2020? Of course not. How this helps anymore than just telling the other gms on a call...whatever. They just love to talk and feel active.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

but also unneccessary. Nobody can convince me this shit moves the needle. But now if they trade colome...are they not planning to compete in 2020? Of course not. How this helps anymore than just telling the other gms on a call...whatever. They just love to talk and feel active.

I agree with you completely, I feel that hahn is inept at his job of gm, the bottom line and that is all that matters is he has failed and failed badly.