Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I liked Allard better than Wentz FWIW.

Yea. I can't work myself into a lather on this trade deadline. Returns were pretty bad for the most part around the league, and all the Sox really had to dangle were some bullpen arms and a bunch of position player flotsam.

A problem with Colome is that he will probably go to 10 million in arbitration.  As some contenders wanted him as a setup man and had cap issues , that is a lot for a set up guy.  Next deadline he will be owed less than half and we could pay down if we are not contending and may get something decent yet.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m going to wait for a Stoney tweet to tell me how to feel.  Not sure how anyone can sugarcoat the Sox actions today.

The Tigers got nothing today for their trades.  What were the Sox going to get?

Those trades locked down a top 3 pick for the Tigers not sure if moving Colome and Abreu make the Sox that much worse. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re going to end up around 68-70 wins this year. It’s still a tank year.

Okay you send the memo to Anderson Moncada Jimenez Giolito Lopez Cease Bummer Marshall, McCann and Leury to all start sucking and stop trying to win so we can get a top 5 pick again. Lets do the same next year with Robert, Madrigal, Kopech and Dunning while we're at it.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Agreed. The over reactions are hilarious. If there was a solid offer for Colome then he would be gone. No point in giving our players away. No one else that would make sense to trade holds enough value to get anything back anyways. It is what it is at this point. The only people throwing fits are the ones that hate the front office and will attack them about every little decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

A problem with Colome is that he will probably go to 10 million in arbitration.  As some contenders wanted him as a setup man and had cap issues , that is a lot for a set up guy.  Next deadline he will be owed less than half and we could pay down if we are not contending and may get something decent yet.

Which indicates that if he's already fairly-valued in terms of his salary, another year of control wasn't a huge factor here.

The problem is that the top teams in baseball would never view him as THE closer they could actually count on in the playoffs...or someone would have paid the asking price above a Tilson/Cordell level.

1 minute ago, kevo880 said:

Agreed. The over reactions are hilarious. If there was a solid offer for Colome then he would be gone. No point in giving our players away. No one else that would make sense to trade holds enough value to get anything back anyways. It is what it is at this point. The only people throwing fits are the ones that hate the front office and will attack them about every little decision.

Look around, lots of the Sox bloggers are pissed about the international money trade. 

I'm generally a pretty positive person, so I'm going to try to put a spin on this shit deadline. Maybe standing pat means Hahn is finally feeling the heat and knows he doesn't have much time left to actually produce a winning team. If that is the case, maybe we actually will spend some real money to get better this offseason.

2 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

That would be the fans in Miami.  After the Yelich/Ozuna/Realmuto/Gordon trades, they don't even care anymore...which seems much worse than what's currently going on with the White Sox fanbase.   At least love is the opposite side of hate, instead of apathy.

3 minutes ago, kevo880 said:

Considering how many people said "I'll hold off on saying Narvaez for Colome was a bad deal until I see what we get for Colome at the deadline", even if holding him was the right move there are some people who said they'd be mad if exactly this happened.

• Like 1

Wait 'til next year...then the trade value of Colome will still be there, just like with Quintana (except we were incredibly fortunate Epstein got desperate, his performance fell off enough that the first 2-3 months of 2017 were spent constantly worrying about his eroding trade value).

It worked out that time, but it usually doesn't.

Anyone want to post early odds on Colome repeating his first 100 game performance in 2019 over the next 162 games?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Considering how many people said "I'll hold off on saying Narvaez for Colome was a bad deal until I see what we get for Colome at the deadline", even if holding him was the right move there are some people who said they'd be mad if exactly this happened.

The situation changed when Moncada, Giolito and Anderson turned it around and Robert and Madrigal tore through the minors. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't think there is any reason for people to act irrationally about today. We've already shipped out everyone that was a trade-able asset. Now it's hopefully one more top 10 pick, sign a RF and a starter, and let our prospects develop into major league players. Regardless if we make the playoffs next season or not, it's going to be a hell of a lot more fun when you add Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, and whoever else to this team.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

5 straight 4th place finishes is the kind of consistency a franchise should be happy about. They haven't been worse than that since 2013!

I don't know... just because they've been bad the last decade and spent the last couple years losing on purpose doesn't mean its worthwhile to constantly b**** and moan about Kevan Smith and Omar Narvaez and the nitpicky garbage a certain outlet spews out for clicks and podcast listens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

5 straight 4th place finishes is the kind of consistency a franchise should be happy about. They haven't been worse than that since 2013!

Lol it's like no one can see the arrow is finally pointing up for the Sox. Just keep looking in the past.

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I don't know... just because they've been bad the last decade and spent the last couple years losing on purpose doesn't mean its worthwhile to constantly b**** and moan about Kevan Smith and Omar Narvaez and the nitpicky garbage a certain outlet spews out for clicks and podcast listens.

Don't forget The Great Jake Peter Meltdown

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, kevo880 said:

Lol it's like no one can see the arrow is finally pointing up for the Sox. Just keep looking in the past.

And yet things like "giving up on a player they shouldn't have given up on and trading him away for a closer in a losing season" and "failing to do anything with their international funds despite a 2 year head start" are things that both hamper the future and look exactly like the past.