Jump to content
Sockin

Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Recommended Posts

Since TB made him a closer back in 2016, Colome has a 91% save percentage (111/122) and an ERA under 3 while functioning as the team’s closer. Hard to find anyone with a better track record in save percentage and ERA, especially a team like the Braves that need a closer specifically (unless you trust Luke Jackson).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They use the same criteria for everyone.  WAR is fair.

Eh not really for relievers. Pitchers who toss more effective innings will have a higher WAR right? That typically doesn't seem to be closers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's not fair because it values pitchers who throw more effective innings?

In the sense that middle relievers, long relievers, openers who throw in wins and losses are going to throw more than a closer who typically only throws one inning in save situations or when they haven't pitched in 3-4 games. Bigger sample of innings is what I'm saying.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's not fair because it values pitchers who throw more effective innings?

It's not fair because there are a lot of very good relievers who struggle in the 9th.  The 9th has a mental aspect that WAR doesn't evaluate.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then there's the matchup angle.  Managers can take advantage of matchups for most of their relievers (lefty-lefty, righty-righty, or good career numbers against particular batters) in a way they can't for starters and closers.  Tends to skew the numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's not fair because it values pitchers who throw more effective innings?

When WAR actually accounts for leverage we can talk about it being an effective tool for evaluating relievers.  Also, reliever usage is a decision made by the manager, so Ricky only using Colome in select situations doesn’t mean he’s not capable of throwing more inning and theoretically having a higher WAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using WAR to compare all relievers to closers is ridiculous. Nate Jones at his peak was a 2 fWAR guy. Would you want him closing out games over a guy like Colome, who’s highest fWAR season as a reliever is 1.2? That’s a rhetorical question and is Exhibit A for why comparing middle relievers and setup guys to closers is misguided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Using WAR to compare all relievers to closers is ridiculous. Nate Jones at his peak was a 2 fWAR guy. Would you want him closing out games over a guy like Colome, who’s highest fWAR season as a reliever is 1.2? That’s a rhetorical question and is Exhibit A for why comparing middle relievers and setup guys to closers is misguided.

Colome and Abreu are easy decisions.  Either you get something good or you keep them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit into a double play no runs .now this joker can't throw a strike! I can't wait till yolmer is not on the sox!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, we acquired Colome for Omar. Omar is having a fantastic season. At this point, Omar has probably been just as valuable to Seattle as Colome to the Sox. Now the Sox want youth for Colome. Yes, he's probably worth two Rutherford type players. The question is: Will those 2 Rutherford type players ever contribute to the big league Sox. Maybe. Probably 50/50. So go ahead and trade him for 2 young guys so the segment of our fanbase that loves prospects is satisfied. 

Fans like me have to concede he "might" bring 1-2 prospects that at least have a 50/50 chance or 40/60 of being big leaguers. That's worth the gamble to those who love rebuilds. Then in the offseason you look for the next closer type and continue the cycle.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Look, we acquired Colome for Omar. Omar is having a fantastic season. At this point, Omar has probably been just as valuable to Seattle as Colome to the Sox. Now the Sox want youth for Colome. Yes, he's probably worth two Rutherford type players. The question is: Will those 2 Rutherford type players ever contribute to the big league Sox. Maybe. Probably 50/50. So go ahead and trade him for 2 young guys so the segment of our fanbase that loves prospects is satisfied. 

Fans like me have to concede he "might" bring 1-2 prospects that at least have a 50/50 chance or 40/60 of being big leaguers. That's worth the gamble to those who love rebuilds. Then in the offseason you look for the next closer type and continue the cycle.

Would you rather have Narvaez or Colome and McCann? Case closed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any chance the Yankees would want Colome? You can never have enough bullpen arms in the postseason. Clearly a logjam in the OF for them. Any chance we could swing for Clint Frazier? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Using WAR to compare all relievers to closers is ridiculous. Nate Jones at his peak was a 2 fWAR guy. Would you want him closing out games over a guy like Colome, who’s highest fWAR season as a reliever is 1.2? That’s a rhetorical question and is Exhibit A for why comparing middle relievers and setup guys to closers is misguided.

When Jones was 100% healthy? Absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Would you rather have Narvaez or Colome and McCann? Case closed

Narvaez.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, QBBrian13 said:

Is there any chance the Yankees would want Colome? You can never have enough bullpen arms in the postseason. Clearly a logjam in the OF for them. Any chance we could swing for Clint Frazier? 

Q1: Yes
Q2: No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Are you saying you would rather have narvaez  over colome and mccann?

Yes. It's clear that somehow the person writing that thought it was obvious so they should see that some of us still see how "a solid catcher for the next 5 years" is a useful thing compared to a couple short termers. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. It's clear that somehow the person writing that thought it was obvious so they should see that some of us still see how "a solid catcher for the next 5 years" is a useful thing compared to a couple short termers. 

If you're assuming McCann is a short termer, sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×