Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I respectfully, disagree.  I think a guy like Drew Waters from ATL would make a lot of sense for both teams.   Crowded OF and already a guy ahead of him in the minors.  He's in the 60's.  We will see what happens.

MLB already moved Waters up to #44 on their Top 100 list because of how he is performing in AA.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

I’d love to get Waters but if he isn’t realistic, I would also love Dylan Carlson (#88) from the Cardinals.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

MLB already moved Waters up to #44 on their Top 100 list because of how he is performing in AA.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019

I’d love to get Waters but if he isn’t realistic, I would also love Dylan Carlson (#88) from the Cardinals.

Only takes one team to think Colome is the answer to their closer problem.  Two arguing over him would be even better.  Don't at all mind keeping him for our own run next year.  This ends well no matter what Rick does.

We got Colome for Omar. Any other team could have acquired Colome in the offseason for a similar type player. True Omar is having a very nice season, but he wasn't highly regarded at the time of the trade. That's all we are going to get for Colome, an Omar-type player. I mean, people, anybody coulda acquired Colome last offseason for scraps. They are not going to overpay for him just a few months later.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

We got Colome for Omar. Any other team could have acquired Colome in the offseason for a similar type player. True Omar is having a very nice season, but he wasn't highly regarded at the time of the trade. That's all we are going to get for Colome, an Omar-type player. I mean, people, anybody coulda acquired Colome last offseason for scraps. They are not going to overpay for him just a few months later.

I think the best time to trade a reliever is during the season while teams are in the hunt for playoff spots. That’s when you can put a premium on your relievers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Colome's value has gone up since he was traded to the Sox.  He's proven to be a very effective closer, and he has performed well in high pressure situations.  You can't look at what a player was traded for and say "that's his value now."  Look at the, ahem, Shields/Tatis trade.

I'm not saying Colome is going to net a superstar.  But if a contending team is in dire need for a very effective late inning right-hander, they'll pay for Colome.  Keep in mind, too, that he's under control through 2020.  That'll help his value to an extent.  He'll still be likely to make decent money next year...and that might hurt his value a bit.  My point is, he should net a player better than Narvaez.  If not, you hold on to him.

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Colome's value has gone up since he was traded to the Sox.  He's proven to be a very effective closer, and he has performed well in high pressure situations.  You can't look at what a player was traded for and say "that's his value now."  Look at the, ahem, Shields/Tatis trade.

I'm not saying Colome is going to net a superstar.  But if a contending team is in dire need for a very effective late inning right-hander, they'll pay for Colome.  Keep in mind, too, that he's under control through 2020.  That'll help his value to an extent.  He'll still be likely to make decent money next year...and that might hurt his value a bit.  My point is, he should net a player better than Narvaez.  If not, you hold on to him.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

How about the Sox sign Colome to a contract extension and they make a push towards the playoffs next year? 

Because the Sox are a below .500 team that clearly are nowhere near good enough to compete in the playoffs? What’s your plan to make the playoffs? Find a genie lamp? Wish on a shooting star? 

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Because the Sox are a below .500 team that clearly are nowhere near good enough to compete in the playoffs? What’s your plan to make the playoffs? Find a genie lamp? Wish on a shooting star? 

Next year, the original post said.  I agree that Colome would be nice to have next year as they should be competing for the division/wildcard.  It all depends on what they could get in a trade.  If the return isn't great, you hold on to him.

4 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I'm thinking some veteran out of work managers and GMs would love to see what they can do with a team with a handful of stars like Gio, Cease, Colome to start with on the mound as well as Tim, McCann, Abreu, Eloy, Moncada, Robert and Madrigal in the everyday lineup. I think Ricky is OK but cmon, take the talent we have, grab a couple good free agents and start winning this weak division for say, 10 years in a row. 

20 hours ago, poppysox said:

Only takes one team to think Colome is the answer to their closer problem.  Two arguing over him would be even better.  Don't at all mind keeping him for our own run next year.  This ends well no matter what Rick does.

its been reported by numerous insiders that it is a sellers market this year. I firmly believe Hahn will trade off what remaining assets aren't going to be part of the core going forward. I've been on the Waters since the beginning as it stands no I don't its too big of an ask for a closer with an additional year of control left. Getting Waters or Carlson would be a reasonable return for Colome.

2 hours ago, beautox said:

its been reported by numerous insiders that it is a sellers market this year. I firmly believe Hahn will trade off what remaining assets aren't going to be part of the core going forward. I've been on the Waters since the beginning as it stands no I don't its too big of an ask for a closer with an additional year of control left. Getting Waters or Carlson would be a reasonable return for Colome.

Hahn might get us a little better than reasonable.  When he has something good to sell...Hahn does very well.  Sale, Eaton and Q deals show Rick is no pushover when dealing from strength.

I keep feeling like the Brewers and Sox are a great fit for a Colome trade.  I have no idea if the Brewers and/or Sox would do this, but Burnes is a great buy low type guy from them.  He's had a miserable start to the season, as he can't keep the ball in the park.  With that said, he has elite stuff (ridiculous spin rate numbers) and wouldn't mind giving him starts the rest of the way to see if he can work on his command inside the zone.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 9:42 PM, fathom said:

I keep feeling like the Brewers and Sox are a great fit for a Colome trade.  I have no idea if the Brewers and/or Sox would do this, but Burnes is a great buy low type guy from them.  He's had a miserable start to the season, as he can't keep the ball in the park.  With that said, he has elite stuff (ridiculous spin rate numbers) and wouldn't mind giving him starts the rest of the way to see if he can work on his command inside the zone.

I’d pass on dealing with the Brewers again.  Cordell and Medeiros?  Blah.  They definitely know which overrated prospects to dump on Hahn.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

On 7/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, greg775 said:

Omar wasn't scraps. Also, December value for closers is far less than July value for closers:  higher necessity in July plus more certainty in a position that is chronically inconsistent.

Also, Colome is having a career year.  Some teams have been known to overpay for career years (ahem).  Maybe the Sox get lucky.

If the Nats need bullpen help, I'd do something around former 1st rounder and top prospect Erick Fedde, if he's not injured. He would immediately slide into a rotation slot and still has upside at age 26. Throws 97 mph too, just been lit up in the majors so far. Good change of scenery candidate. They could throw in Fulmer as well  for a small add. That is a reasonable target for Colome, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 7/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, Sarava said:

How about the Sox sign Colome to a contract extension and they make a push towards the playoffs next year? 

YES !!!! And for years past next year. 

All you guys who want to trade Colome, I absolutely do not get you. Do you enjoy losing?? You all make no sense to me.