Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He wouldn’t be a 120 wRC+ DH though without significant improvement.

He hit for 122 wRC+ and has a 128 wRC+ this year. I don't see how he can't be considered an above average hitter.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He hit for 122 wRC+ and has a 128 wRC+ this year. I don't see how he can't be considered an above average hitter.

If uptick in power last year and the start to this season holds then he’d be an ok DH but I was looking at his career 761 OPS and thinking that’d be pretty light for a DH. Hopefully the Sox can get more than that from Jimenez, Collins, or whoever else ends up at DH next season.

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Braves are a good trade partner for the Sox

The Braves would be an EXCELLENT trade partner.  They won their division last year and want to go deeper in the playoffs this year.  They have an excellent starting lineup with several utility players that could start for a lot of teams.  Pitching wise, their strength is SP.  They literally have 8 starting  pitchers on their MLB roster, 3 of which have to be used in the bullpen for obvious reasons.  Any one of those 3 pitchers would be #2 in the Sox rotation.  Their one Achilles tendon:  no reliable closer.

They also have a top 5 farm system, if they want to go the prospect route. A top 50 prospect would not be out of the question.

34 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

The Braves would be an EXCELLENT trade partner.  They won their division last year and want to go deeper in the playoffs this year.  They have an excellent starting lineup with several utility players that could start for a lot of teams.  Pitching wise, their strength is SP.  They literally have 8 starting  pitchers on their MLB roster, 3 of which have to be used in the bullpen for obvious reasons.  Any one of those 3 pitchers would be #2 in the Sox rotation.  Their one Achilles tendon:  no reliable closer.

They also have a top 5 farm system, if they want to go the prospect route. A top 50 prospect would not be out of the question.

Start your engines.

47 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Who would you want from them for Colome? Toussaint? Newcomb? Allard?

Don't trade him. He is 11 for 11 in saves. Why is it everyone on here wants to keeping pissing away wins this year and next year for a guy who might or might not make the majors in two or three years. Let's look at all we've gotten for our recent flips (Let me know if I've forgotten anyone, anyone). Kodi Medieros, Blake Rutherford, and Ti'Q Forbes. NONE OF THEM ARE EVER GOING TO PLAY IN THE MAJORS. None of them. 

A team wins with good players. Let's keep our good players, watch the young ones continue to improve, and win some game this year and into the future. All you guys who say let's sign another closer next winter, does that help now? I know this seems weird on the board, but I like it when the White Sox win, and YES, this year too. Do you really think we can sign a guy who will be 11 or 11 in saves at the start of June next winter?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I read somewhere it was Phillys, Mets, Cubs, Yanks and a couple others I can't think of.

Proven closers at the deadline usually get a top prospect and then some, so with that in mind, the headliners Hahn would ask for:

Phillies: Adonis Medina
Mets: Andres Gimenez
Cubs: Nico Hoerner
Yankees: Florial or Loaisiga
Braves: Austin Riley or Ian Anderson (but nothing else)

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Fair enough.  The point remains the same.  Getting a Tilson or Cordell would be a bad outcome.

Well, good thing we're not trading Zach Duke or Anthony Swarzak. 

11 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Don't trade him. He is 11 for 11 in saves. Why is it everyone on here wants to keeping pissing away wins this year and next year for a guy who might or might not make the majors in two or three years. Let's look at all we've gotten for our recent flips (Let me know if I've forgotten anyone, anyone). Kodi Medieros, Blake Rutherford, and Ti'Q Forbes. NONE OF THEM ARE EVER GOING TO PLAY IN THE MAJORS. None of them. 

A team wins with good players. Let's keep our good players, watch the young ones continue to improve, and win some game this year and into the future. All you guys who say let's sign another closer next winter, does that help now? I know this seems weird on the board, but I like it when the White Sox win, and YES, this year too. Do you really think we can sign a guy who will be 11 or 11 in saves at the start of June next winter?

Ti'Quan Forbes was acquired for a few months of Miguel Gonzalez. Kodi Medeiros for Joakim Soria. They were buy lows, unless you wanted a few more months of Miguel Gonzalez (who the Sox re-signed in the offseason) or Joakim Soria (but then we don't try to acquire Colome).

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

There are some people who like seeing Juan Minaya and Matt Davidson as our closers. There are also some people who are into a perpetual rebuild. The White Sox finally have a closer (Colome) who saves games. He's the first good closer the team has had since David Robertson. Unless the team gets a overwhelming offer for him, ( I don't mean another Blake Rutherford) I hope he stays here. I go to half of our home games. Its good to see somebody like Colome coming in and saving our games.

12 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with you...but as I've pointed out in various places...you have to decide if Abreu & Colome are part of the future.  If they are then extend them so we have certainty.  If FO deems they are not part of the future there will never be a better time for trade.  You do not have to trade for prospects but can often trade for really good players blocked by their current clubs or simply have an oversupply such as Atlanta with pitching or LA with outfielders.

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

There are some people who like seeing Juan Minaya and Matt Davidson as our closers. There are also some people who are into a perpetual rebuild. The White Sox finally have a closer (Colome) who saves games. He's the first good closer the team has had since David Robertson. Unless the team gets a overwhelming offer for him, ( I don't mean another Blake Rutherford) I hope he stays here. I go to half of our home games. Its good to see somebody like Colome coming in and saving our games.

There is not one person who liked Minaya as a closer, he happened to be the least bad of shit options.  Davidson was a fun mop up pitcher in a terrible season for the 3 IP or whatever he actually pitched. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree with you...but as I've pointed out in various places...you have to decide if Abreu & Colome are part of the future.  If they are then extend them so we have certainty.  If FO deems they are not part of the future there will never be a better time for trade.  You do not have to trade for prospects but can often trade for really good players blocked by their current clubs or simply have an oversupply such as Atlanta with pitching or LA with outfielders.

Alex Colome is not part of this team's long term future.

But, we have seen the White Sox convince themselves not to sell pieces when they were only a few games below .500 before (2015), and they will absolutely need substantial bullpen upgrades this offseason even if they keep him. 

If you want to make a case to keep him, it isn't "is he part of the future", it's "this guy isn't bad, if we want a competent bullpen in 2020 we need several more guys like that". 

6 hours ago, mqr said:

fixed that

Agreed. At some point, it's time to compete else you're always rebuilding. They should dangle him out there, but the offer has to be crazy. Next year, aren't the White Sox supposedly interested in being a contender in the AL Central? If so, trading a very good closer doesn't seem to make a lot of sense and replacing him isn't as easy.

I'm not sure Colome is going anywhere if Eloy gets going and Cease comes up. At that point they might be looking to add a long term rotation piece at the TDL. The fact that they're winning as many games as they are with a shit rotation is highly encouraging and exciting 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not sure Colome is going anywhere if Eloy gets going and Cease comes up. At that point they might be looking to add a long term rotation piece at the TDL 

I don’t care how close they are.  You have to trade Colome at his ridiculous peak of value.  If the dude can net a full time position player, you have to move him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t care how close they are.  You have to trade Colome at his ridiculous peak of value.  If the dude can net a full time position player, you have to move him.

It's a tough choice. I tend to agree with you. Imagine where the Sox would be had Kopech and Rodon stayed healthy. That said, better now than later. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's a tough choice. I tend to agree with you. Imagine where the Sox would be had Kopech and Rodon stayed healthy. That said, better now than later. 

Yes, I can imagine but only one of them will be working his way back next season (Kopech).  Colome will only be here for one more year at likely $10 million.  Trade him for a young power hitting OF with 5-7 years of control and making shit money and enjoy.  Spend that $10 million saved on your next Colome.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox have two months to figure this out. One way or another it will work itself out. If they are 5-10 games over.500 in late July there’s no way in hell you trade him.

If they make it through the ASB within a few games of .500 they have a shot to make it interesting. Their 2nd half schedule is fairly easy outside of Minnesota. 

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, I can imagine but only one of them will be working his way back next season (Kopech).  Colome will only be here for one more year at likely $10 million.  Trade him for a young power hitting OF with 5-7 years of control and making shit money and enjoy.  Spend that $10 million saved on a starter or reliever.

Kopech will be back next spring and Rodon next July, should they tender him. 

If they make it through the ASB within a few games of .500 they have a shot to make it interesting. Their 2nd half schedule is fairly easy outside of Minnesota. 

The entire AL after the top 4 teams is mediocre or bad. If one team goes on a run, they become the favorite for the second wild card spot. If the Astros beat the A’s tonight, the Sox are 1 GB of the second wild card spot and 6 different teams are within a couple games of that spot.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The entire AL after the top 4 teams is mediocre or bad. If one team goes on a run, they become the favorite for the second wild card spot. If the Astros beat the A’s tonight, the Sox are 1 GB of the second wild card spot and 6 different teams are within a couple games of that spot.

They have 4 tough series outside  of the Twins in the 2nd half, home vs. Houston, @ Tampa, @Philly and @ Oakland.  They could absolutely go on a run in September. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

They have 3 tough series outside  of the Twins in the 2nd half, home vs. Houston, @ Philly and @ Oakland. They could absolutely go on a run in September. 

And they’ve already shown they can hang with Houston albeit a somewhat depleted Houston team. That September schedule looks really soft, especially if the Indians go into a complete tail spin and start tearing down their big league roster in another 8 weeks.