Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

9 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What kind of return would Colome net the White Sox in a trade? Pretending he was being traded to the White Sox, would we get someone like Cease? Stiever? McClue? Dunning?

Of the guys you listed, probably closest is McClure. 

13 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What kind of return would Colome net the White Sox in a trade? Pretending he was being traded to the White Sox, would we get someone like Cease? Stiever? McClue? Dunning?

Not sure who he would compare to among current Sox arms but Josiah Gray (Dodgers) would be a solid return. Spencer Howard (Phillies) would be a great get but would likely cost a great deal more than Colome. The idea of Gohara from Braves (LH fireballer w/issues) is interesting but a bit difficult to pigeonhole. 

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

Not sure who he would compare to among current Sox arms but Josiah Gray (Dodgers) would be a solid return. Spencer Howard (Phillies) would be a great get but would likely cost a great deal more than Colome. The idea of Gohara from Braves (LH fireballer w/issues) is interesting but a bit difficult to pigeonhole. 

Both the Dodgers and Braves are going to have 40 man issues this offseason.  These are the teams that theoretically you should be able to extract the most value from because they'd rather get something for their assets as opposed to holding and creating roster casualties in the offseason.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I am actually suprised there hasn't been much movement considering how many teams need help/hard deadline.  I'd have to imagine we start seeing some smoke in the next couple days.

There's also a ton of teams in Limbo though, you could say even the Sox are pretty much there. 

13 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Asking prices must be through the roof. There's a lot of decent arms that could/should be available.

Asking price should be through the roof and Hahn is quite good at extracting the maximum when he has something good to trade.  This will definitely not be a salary dump.

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Asking price should be through the roof and Hahn is quite good at extracting the maximum when he has something good to trade.  This will definitely not be a salary dump.

With it being a hard trade deadline, I'm sure sellers are keeping their asking prices high. Contenders will be forced to pony up if they want to add talent for a WS run. 

Prices always come down to reality closer to the deadline, but Sox shouldn't let Colome/Bummer/etc. go on the cheap. 

I read somewhere the Sox consider Bummer a closer candidate of future. Did anybody see that? If so and they keep him I hope you all remember I guaranteed on here we're not trading Bummer.

Colome ... if the Yankees or Braves or Dodgers or whomever want him so badly why aren't they getting it done. Maybe Hahn can pull off the steal of the century. Yes I hate "flipping" players but if he can get 4 can't miss prospects or 3 for him I guess I can't complain. With him I go back to the original deal. We get him for Narvaez? And that's it? I keep thinking we'll just get a similar prospect back for Colome on the flip. Just an Omar Narvaez ceiling type guy. That's dumb in that scenario to deal next year's closer for somebody only as good as Narvaez.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I read somewhere the Sox consider Bummer a closer candidate of future. Did anybody see that? If so and they keep him I hope you all remember I guaranteed on here we're not trading Bummer.

Colome ... if the Yankees or Braves or Dodgers or whomever want him so badly why aren't they getting it done. Maybe Hahn can pull off the steal of the century. Yes I hate "flipping" players but if he can get 4 can't miss prospects or 3 for him I guess I can't complain. With him I go back to the original deal. We get him for Narvaez? And that's it? I keep thinking we'll just get a similar prospect back for Colome on the flip. Just an Omar Narvaez ceiling type guy. That's dumb in that scenario to deal next year's closer for somebody only as good as Narvaez.

His value has clearly changed since the trade. And we are not getting 4 guys back for him, especially cant miss prospects. If he gets traded it will be for a really good prospect or 2 who are ready to contribute next year. And the reason they will be more valuable is because they will have more years of cheaper control.

I do think you are right about Bummer, the only way he leaves is if it is for a kings ransom.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Also the reason it isn't done yet is because the closer we get to the deadline the more panicked these teams will become and give us greater leverage in negotiations.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Also the reason it isn't done yet is because the closer we get to the deadline the more panicked these teams will become and give us greater leverage in negotiations.

Sox are in a good position because guys like Colome and Bummer are not rentals, they do not have to be traded. I really think we will see contender's ponying up to acquire playoff push help, and relievers are always in demand. 

On 7/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, greg775 said:

I wouldn't trade him. I think they  get better value waiting.   It's worth the  risk.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, Jack Parkman said:

If I were the Sox I'd target SP, in particular LHP. Huge organizational need. 

I really like Colome, but the Sox can sign a closer in the offseason. Cash in now. Colome is likely to be the #1 closer on the market. 

Not over 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, Jack Parkman said:

If I were the Sox I'd target SP, in particular LHP. Huge organizational need. 

I really like Colome, but the Sox can sign a closer in the offseason. Cash in now. Colome is likely to be the #1 closer on the market. 

Closers on the block: Will SmithKirby YatesKen GilesAlex ColomeShane GreeneIan KennedyMychal GivensSergio Romo

Could be shopped: Felipe VazquezEdwin DiazRaisel IglesiasHansel RoblesGreg HollandWade DavisRoenis EliasChris Martin/Jose Leclerc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thank you. In what world is Colome the #1 closer available? This board has a real problem with over and under valuing players depending on nothing more than whether they wear a Sox uniform.