Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

With Edwin Diaz looking terribly wild for the Mets and blowing the save last night and Ken Giles unable to pitch and scaring off potential suitors, I would assume Colome is one of the best, if not THE best closer available with additional control.  I can’t imagine him not being traded.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

With Edwin Diaz looking terribly wild for the Mets and blowing the save last night and Ken Giles unable to pitch and scaring off potential suitors, I would assume Colome is one of the best, if not THE best closer available with additional control.  I can’t imagine him not being traded.

What are we expecting back? While I want to keep him. If they can nab a top 60 or 70 prospect, particularly a pitcher (and one who's stock isn't falling), then I could be persuaded.

I just know if they move him, a few months from now they'll have to figure out how to replace him. And as we've seen from Herrera, it's not always a slam dunk.

45 minutes ago, Sarava said:

What are we expecting back? While I want to keep him. If they can nab a top 60 or 70 prospect, particularly a pitcher (and one who's stock isn't falling), then I could be persuaded.

I just know if they move him, a few months from now they'll have to figure out how to replace him. And as we've seen from Herrera, it's not always a slam dunk.

On the flip-side, though. It's no more of a slam dunk that Colome will be this guy again next year. As opposed to a guy doing well coming in from elsewhere. He's on the wrong side of 30 and his 3.82 FIP says he's been a little lucky. 

I'm not saying that he's been anything short of great. I'm just pointing out that the uncertainty goes both ways when talking about a reliever for next season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Especially after seeing Chris Martin net Allard. I would be shocked if he's still here tomorrow night. 

For all those that doubted Colome had much trade value, this is Exhibit A for why Colome should return at least one high end 50 FV prospect. Chris freakin Martin returned Allard, I mean seriously.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

For all those that doubted Colome had much trade value, this is Exhibit A for why Colome should return at least one high end 50 FV prospect. Chris freakin Martin returned Allard, I mean seriously.

While I get your point, keep in mind that Allard’s prospect status has faded and he wasn’t a top 100 guy anymore.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Allard’s prospect shine has seriously fallen in recent years, people are overreacting to the name a bit here.

He’s still a 50 FV and did I mention Chris Martin?? Dude has zero track record.

He’s not a 50 FV prospect though.  FG has him rated as a 40 now.  Pipeline’s grades are never realistic unless you think the Rangers have 16 legit 50 FV prospects (that’s where he’s currently ranked).  He’s a post-hype prospect without the pure stuff to really reclaim his lost status.  He’s a fine return for Martin and could end being a solid back-end starter down the road, but people are most definitely overreacting to the name and former top 100 ranking.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s not a 50 FV prospect though.  FG has him rated as a 40 now.  Pipeline’s grades are never realistic unless you think the Rangers have 16 legit 50 FV prospects (that’s where he’s currently ranked).  He’s a post-hype prospect without the pure stuff to really reclaim his lost status.  He’s a fine return for Martin and could end being a solid back-end starter down the road, but people are most definitely overreacting to the name and former top 100 ranking.

Yep. This is exactly what I don't want the Sox trading Colome for. A fading prospect who's name is shinier than his performance. But if you can get a guy with good upside and on the upswing, then sure, go for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Again, Chris Martin. Having a nice season but zero track record. This would be like the Sox trading Evan Marshall for a 45 FV.

He's a rental and his ERA is in the low 1's since May. That's what teams want for playoff pushes.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

BA had him as the Braves #12 prospect in their mid-season update. And I think most would agree the Braves have a very deep system no?

BA had him as the Braves #12 prospect in their mid-season update. And I think most would agree the Braves have a very deep system no?

Yeah, it’s a good system but don’t forget they promoted a ton of guys that made it so special (Acuna, Albies, Riley, Soroka, etc).  It’s not nearly as deep as it once say and it’s very top heavy now.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, it’s a good system but don’t forget they promoted a ton of guys that made it so special (Acuna, Albies, Riley, Soroka, etc).  It’s not nearly as deep as it once say and it’s very top heavy now.

See post above. I can understand why Braves fans are upset. Considering they are the second best team in the NL, they should be packaging a few Allards for a better pitcher, aim higher than Chris Martin. Maybe they still will, they should.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Let me put it another way, this would be like the Sox trading Dunning or Collins (BA #11/#12 for WS) for Chris Martin. I’d be pissed.

It’s nothing like trading Dunning, who if healthy is no doubt a far superior prospect than Allard.  Also, BA’s latest prospect rankings (at least for the Sox) are terrible.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

See post above. I can understand why Braves fans are upset. Considering they are the second best team in the NL, they should be packaging a few Allards for a better pitcher, aim higher than Chris Martin. Maybe they still will, they should.

Well that I can agree with, but Braves fans are overreacting because Allard is a former 1st round & top 100 prospect.  Unfortunately that’s just not what his value is today.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s nothing like trading Dunning, who if healthy is no doubt a far superior prospect than Allard.  Also, BA’s latest prospect rankings (at least for the Sox) are terrible.

Key word “if”. Either way, I’d be pissed if Sox traded Collins for Martin. You wouldn’t?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well that I can agree with, but Braves fans are overreacting because Allard is a former 1st round & top 100 prospect.  Unfortunately that’s just not what his value is today.

Which also could mean that the Braves see him falling further down in value so they didn’t have a problem dealing him.

• Like 1