Rumor: Cease will be called up "very soon"

Sockin

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Colome needs to go.  I've wanted Abreu gone for a couple years but I think he's more valuable to us since we won't get anything for him.  HOU really could use him but I doubt we would get any real prospect for him.

If the Astros were interested in Abreu, that would a be a good break for us.  Houston has so many prospects and so many that are blocked that they are usually willing to trade some pretty good ones.

Some on this board amaze me with their low regard for Abreu & Colome.  A top run producer & a top tier closer are worth more than some scraps.  The only reason to trade either at this time is for the overpayment received when a contender perceive them to be the missing piece.  We can always wait until the offseason if nothing exciting is offered.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox are currently 1 game out of the second wildcard spot. 

While you have to figure it is still a long shot, it might be time to start playing to win.

I have been an advocate for Keuchel & Cease for quite a while.  No cost in current trade chips and a chance to compete in division and wild card races.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Keuchel on a 3 or 4 year contract or only this year if that's what he wants.  He would be worth the 15 million or so in fan interest and marketability.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I have been an advocate for Keuchel & Cease for quite a while.  No cost in current trade chips and a chance to compete in division and wild card races.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Keuchel on a 3 or 4 year contract or only this year if that's what he wants.  He would be worth the 15 million or so in fan interest and marketability.

Have to be concerned about time away from the game with Keuchel and kimbrel at this point. Would take them 3 weeks to get close to full speed I feel like.

I'd like to just call up cease and Robert and let the kids play through some stuff together.

A few key points in considering spending money on Keuchel have been mentioned — how much money, how many years, and how long has he been away from the game.

But also, don’t forget this point — do you have any faith that Hahn won’t waste money on even more garbage veterans next offseason?  He spent around $32 million on Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.  That would have covered some of Keuchel’s contract for 4 years.  Keuchel is a risk but is he worse than the bums Hahn already signs?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Have to be concerned about time away from the game with Keuchel and kimbrel at this point. Would take them 3 weeks to get close to full speed I feel like.

I'd like to just call up cease and Robert and let the kids play through some stuff together.

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel for $8m a year. He was a disaster at the end of last season. Boston wasn't even using him anymore

40 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

A few key points in considering spending money on Keuchel have been mentioned — how much money, how many years, and how long has he been away from the game.

But also, don’t forget this point — do you have any faith that Hahn won’t waste money on even more garbage veterans next offseason?  He spent around $32 million on Alonso, Nova, Herrera, Jay, and Santana.  That would have covered some of Keuchel’s contract for 4 years.  Keuchel is a risk but is he worse than the bums Hahn already signs?

I agree with this. Sign DK because he will give you a veteran pitcher plus value for the buck. We have no other options for acquiring a pitcher like him this offseason. We also won't need to give up prospects which is a bonus. Good players are being locked up so we need to get talent on the market whenever we have a chance if the price is right. 

57 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I wouldn't sign Kimbrel for $8m a year. He was a disaster at the end of last season. Boston wasn't even using him anymore

HUH???  Kimbrel saved 2 of the 3 wins against Yamkees in ALDS. He closed 3 of their 4 wins in ALCS  against Houston and pitched in 4 of 5 wins against Dodgers. Only gave in WS he didn't close was the one Chris Sale did. 

Kimbrel had a very mediocre  late August and September last year.  But he was heavily used in postseason and had 6 saves in the 3 series.  

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

HUH???  Kimbrel saved 2 of the 3 wins against Yamkees in ALDS. He closed 3 of their 4 wins in ALCS  against Houston and pitched in 4 of 5 wins against Dodgers. Only gave in WS he didn't close was the one Chris Sale did. 

Kimbrel had a very mediocre  late August and September last year.  But he was heavily used in postseason and had 6 saves in the 3 series.  

I know. The rumors were that his arm was done by that time and that's why they were using Sale. It could be refreshed now but he's not exactly young 

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

.How far back does Fisk go  when they got him  1981 . So you can name 3 guys in 38 years. Hooray for Jerry.

I could probably name a few more but the point is he on occasion fools us.  If you prefer to think he won't I frankly don't care.

Edited by poppysox

40 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I could probably name a few more but the point is he on occasion fools us.  If you prefer to think he won't I frankly don't care.

Ok cool I guess you won't be too disappointed when once again he doesn't surprise you and there's no Keuchel or Kimbrel. Carry on from Cloud 9.

11 hours ago, poppysox said:

You never know with Jerry.   He got us Abreu,Fisk and Belle.  Every time people said he was to cheap to get it accomplished.

So what happened this past offseason? I'm genuinely curious as to your spin on them shitting their pants on the opportunity to sign a rare pair of star players that were available IN THEIR PRIMES. [In other words, for the purpose of this exercise, you don't get to conflate Harper/Machado with stoopid overpays for geezing geezers like Pujols.]

Thanks.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

5 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Did you watch those games? He came close to blowing many of those saves. 

Edited by JuliusO1274

11 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So what happened this past offseason? I'm genuinely curious as to your spin on them shitting their pants on the opportunity to sign a rare pair of star players that were available IN THEIR PRIMES. [In other words, for the purpose of this exercise, you don't get to conflate Harper/Machado with stoopid overpays for geezing geezers like Pujols.]

Thanks.

To be fair, the White Sox game the best financial offer to Machado. It had nothing to do with being cheap. He wanted to go to San Diego. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

To be fair, the White Sox game the best financial offer to Machado. It had nothing to do with being cheap. He wanted to go to San Diego. 

No, they didn’t.  Enough of this BS.  It isn’t true.  $250 million guaranteed with incentives is not as good as $300 million guaranteed.  Machado didn’t “want to go to San Diego.”  He went to the team that offered him the most guaranteed money, plain and simple.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

erSo what happened this past offseason? I'm genuinely curious as to your spin on them shitting their pants on the opportunity to sign a rare pair of star players that were available IN THEIR PRIMES. [In other words, for the purpose of this exercise, you don't get to conflate Harper/Machado with stoopid overpays for geezing geezers like Pujols.]

Thanks.

I see nothing strange about thinking a player has X value to your organization and passing on it when the bidding surpassing that.  When you say rare opportunity to sign star players...I see nothing rare about being able to overpay a player...happens every year.  Actually, I guess I'm not all aboard for most contracts that exceed 5 years and I would prefer those go to my in house stars in the form of extensions.  Also, can you imagine being the star of a team and then your boss brings in this new guy...pays the new guy three times what you make and signs him up for 4 times your guaranteed years.  I bet you would think that sucks.  Lastly, like many others, if I have an extra 30 mil per year that I would like to spend...I prefer hedging my bets with 2 or3 players rather than 1.  Now if that player is Trout I will make an exception.  Machado & Harper are not Trout.

58 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, they didn’t.  Enough of this BS.  It isn’t true.  $250 million guaranteed with incentives is not as good as $300 million guaranteed.  Machado didn’t “want to go to San Diego.”  He went to the team that offered him the most guaranteed money, plain and simple.

And thank god he did

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And thank god he did

Yes, cuz these less than half a season of stats are the numbers Machado will always produce going forward.  Just like McCann will be an Allstar catcher for the rest of his career.

Hahn is paying Alonso, Nova, Herrera, and Jay more than what Machado is making this year.  I’ll take Machado this year and going forward over those bums.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, cuz these less than half a season of stats are the numbers Machado will always produce going forward.  Just like McCann will be an Allstar catcher for the rest of his career.

Machado in one of his “prime” year seasons (age 26/27 is his prime you know) is on pace for 25 homers, 75 RBI, 255 BA and mid 700s OPS. I’m sure he will only get better once he hits age 30+ in a few years. 🤣

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Machado in one of his “prime” year seasons (age 26/27 is his prime you know) is on pace for 25 homers, 75 RBI, 255 BA and mid 700s OPS. I’m sure he will only get better once he hits age 30+ in a few years. 🤣

Go take a look at his home/away splits.  No one hits well at PetCo.  GRate would have been a big difference for him.

16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And thank god he did

Moncada is playing a really good third base and 2nd is still being held down by Yolmer until the Madrigal arrival.  We still have those saved million to spend on needs which will most likely be TOR starter and depth.  For my money we dodged a bullet.  Ten year contracts almost surely will bite you in the ass every time.