Rumor: Cease will be called up "very soon"

Sockin

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How could that be? He had his surgery in March 2019 before Rodon and Rodon is expected back the 2nd half of 2020 ?

He’ll be ready to pitch before 2021 (just like Rodon), but he won’t be with the big league club right away. Dunning hasn’t even thrown in AAA yet, so he’ll need to work his way up still once he’s back. 

50 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He’ll be ready to pitch before 2021 (just like Rodon), but he won’t be with the big league club right away. Dunning hasn’t even thrown in AAA yet, so he’ll need to work his way up still once he’s back. 

Yes I know but before the surgery Hahn was saying that Dunning could have competed for a spot in the rotation for 2019. I don't know if that was him just blowing smoke saying nice things about a guy about to have surgery but he did say it. Others also believe Kopech will go back to the minors  when he returns.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

According to what Hostetler said on the broadcast a dew days ago it is narrowed down to around 6 guys and he said discussions are and will be ongoing until close to the draft.

He's not lying. I think they've ranked their guys already and the list is that long because they have to be prepared just in the top two picks are shockers. 

IMO the decisions are coming soon (next couple weeks) weather or not to trade Abreu and Colome.   If FO doesn't trade either guy they are going to bring up Robert & Cease and make an attempt to compete this year.  Maybe just my wishful thinking but no point hanging on to them otherwise.  Their trade value will never be higher.

50 minutes ago, poppysox said:

IMO the decisions are coming soon (next couple weeks) weather or not to trade Abreu and Colome.   If FO doesn't trade either guy they are going to bring up Robert & Cease and make an attempt to compete this year.  Maybe just my wishful thinking but no point hanging on to them otherwise.  Their trade value will never be higher.

There have been absolutely no signs they will ever trade Abreu. Why do fans keep bringing up this possibility? It's not going to happen. If it does happen I should have the guts to finally stop being a Sox fan. There's absolutely no reason to trade the guy. None. I'd agree they'll probably flip Colome. That's what they do right now. They flip guys.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There have been absolutely no signs they will ever trade Abreu. Why do fans keep bringing up this possibility? It's not going to happen. If it does happen I should have the guts to finally stop being a Sox fan. There's absolutely no reason to trade the guy. None. I'd agree they'll probably flip Colome. That's what they do right now. They flip guys.

If they are going to trade either guy...the time is now.  I'm not advocating for either action.  If you are not extending Abreu then you trade him now.  If you extend him...that's great.  He has substantial value.   Just don't end up empty handed.

• Like 1

Assuming Cease is scheduled to pitch on Tuesday the 4th, his next days would be the 9th and the 14th.

Pitching on the 9th would be Giolito's spot. So that wouldn't make sense. Pitching on the 10th would be Lopez, and pitching on the 11th would be Manny, who Cease would be most likely to replace. But then again, the Sox have 3 off days over the course of a 10 day period. So they could really move the rotation around almost any way they want it.

All of this is to say that I have tickets for June 10th and 15th, so they better not fuck this up for me. The Sox are home the 10th-16th. So if it's actually soon, it's that week. I doubt he debuts on the road, the Sox have been very good about rewarding us fans with debuts.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

This White Sox starting rotation is really bad. Other than Giolito this rotation is for the birds. I can't understand why Cease hasn't been called up. What does the team have to lose by bringing him up? He couldn't be any worse than there present starters. Are they keeping him in the minors because he refused to sign a long term contract this past spring?

47 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This White Sox starting rotation is really bad. Other than Giolito this rotation is for the birds. I can't understand why Cease hasn't been called up. What does the team have to lose by bringing him up? He couldn't be any worse than there present starters. Are they keeping him in the minors because he refused to sign a long term contract this past spring?

Maybe they don't feel he's ready. Otherwise you're right, the Sox don't have much of a rotation, and it is keeping them from progressing. I don't think he is a cure-all by any means, but they don't have much to lose. I don't know the politics of this, but perhaps he really isn't ready. Regardless, the regression of Lopez is discouraging.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

To play devil's advocate...

Cease could potentially be just as bad as any of our starters at the big league level. He has some real command issues. Falls behind in counts a lot. Usually reaches the 100 pitch plateau by the 5th inning. Could get him thrashed at the big league level. Letting him work those problems out in Charlotte a little while longer before throwing him to the sharks isn't an outlandish line of thinking, in the least. What we did to Giolito, allowing him to come up before he was ready and get beaten like a red headed step child. It can destroy a lot of pitchers psyche. We're lucky that he's seemingly a very headstrong kid. Not every pitcher can be expected to endure that and then reach their full potential. 

The calls for Cease's promotion greatly resemble the tell tale signs of "backup quarterback fallacy". Just because the current option isn't working out so well, doesn't mean the other option is better. 

Edited by Richie

Did anyone ask the kid what he meant by soon?  He presented it so self assuredly as someone with inside knowledge that I would expect he would know a near exact date.

I would give him a week before soon becomes another false "report" from him.  Maybe, like his Joc Pederson rumor, the Sox became so frustrated by him cracking the news on their plans that they will now refuse to bring him up out of spite.

I guess if he had used the word "eventually" instead of "soon" no one would have taken notice and it wouldn't have forwarded his hoped for career.

6 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Did anyone ask the kid what he meant by soon?  He presented it so self assuredly as someone with inside knowledge that I would expect he would know a near exact date.

I would give him a week before soon becomes another false "report" from him.  Maybe, like his Joc Pederson rumor, the Sox became so frustrated by him cracking the news on their plans that they will now refuse to bring him up out of spite.

I guess if he had used the word "eventually" instead of "soon" no one would have taken notice and it wouldn't have forwarded his hoped for career.

BTW, Peggy Kuzinski's son also posted something to that effect and it's a pretty safe assumption he gets his news from his mom. She probably wouldn't let him post that if it wasn't common knowledge and had permission from her source. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Cease starting Mon or Tues?

The sooner he gets here the sooner he gets those rookie butterflies behind him.  He, Gio & Kopech are going to dominate once they get acclimated to the league.

50 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's listed as starting for Charlotte tomorrow 

They wouldn't have him listed if he wasn't going. 

This is getting kinda surprising, maybe they have some reason to think the Super-2 deadline could be extra late this year?

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

They wouldn't have him listed if he wasn't going. 

This is getting kinda surprising, maybe they have some reason to think the Super-2 deadline could be extra late this year?

I think he does at least another month in AAA.

53 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd still like a few more starts out of him before they call him up.  He hasn't been exactly dominating and has had command issues.

Command issues a bit for sure, but he's dominating. Make no mistake about it. That league environment is allowing like 6.5 runs a night. 

Mitch Keller is the only guy in the international league pitching better than cease.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run