Rumor: Cease will be called up "very soon"

Sockin

11 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If they don’t call up Cease now that Covey went down, I don’t think they are thinking about promoting him any time soon. Jason Kinander 0/2

I'm beginning to wonder if Cease will be brought up this season. Hahn seems determined to keep him down in the Minors. If Cease would have signed the contract extension offered to him this spring by Hahn, he probably would be in the white Sox rotation now.

3 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Cease will be brought up this season. Hahn seems determined to keep him down in the Minors. If Cease would have signed the contract extension offered to him this spring by Hahn, he probably would be in the white Sox rotation now.

I will guarantee short of an injury that Cease is up this year and most likely sometime in June.

Just went over the schedule.  If Sox are willing to a) start Nova on short rest b) watch Banuelos get his brains beat in on the regular, they don't really need a 5th starter until June 26th at Boston.  Covey might be back by then.  I would still bring Cease up because I don't want to watch Banuelos, but he will help our draft position.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Just be honest and say, I’m sorry I’m the worst manager in the majors.  😂

"Is Cease going to be call-"

"I'm sorry, can I interrupt you for a second?  I just wanted to say the rumors are true: I am the worst manager in baseball.  Wanted to let everyone know.  Thanks"

Amazing.  

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2019 at 1:51 PM, gusguyman said:

Hahn has shown he pays a lot of attention to the schedule when calling up prospects, and June is unforgiving. I think he may wait until July 3rd, when he can bring up Cease as the 26th man for the double header.

Then he gets a nice long ASB rest, and can face Royals, Marlins, Mets, and Tigers, with only the Twins in the middle of that.

With them not using the Covey injury to call him up, I am def sticking with my prediction. 

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Just went over the schedule.  If Sox are willing to a) start Nova on short rest b) watch Banuelos get his brains beat in on the regular, they don't really need a 5th starter until June 26th at Boston.  Covey might be back by then.  I would still bring Cease up because I don't want to watch Banuelos, but he will help our draft position.

The draft position stuff needs to end. We need to shoot for 80 wins this year and 90 next year. 

15 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Cease imploded in 1st inning today. Hopefully just a bad day and not a physical issue. 

Yah, I don't think he did himself any favors in getting up here "soon" though.

That being said, I am about 3 weeks away from saying just leave Cease in AAA until next May.  If you're going to use a year, may as well get your moneys worth an get him up here ASAP.  I am fine with him in AAA, and I do think he has more refining to do (3 BB in 2/3 of an inning yesterday would state as much) but waiting to call him up for until mid August for a handful of meaningless starts is so dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

That being said, I am about 3 weeks away from saying just leave Cease in AAA until next May.  If you're going to use a year, may as well get your moneys worth an get him up here ASAP.  I am fine with him in AAA, and I do think he has more refining to do (3 BB in 2/3 of an inning yesterday would state as much) but waiting to call him up for until mid August for a handful of meaningless starts is so dumb.

I look at it differently. Putting service time aside, I tend to think Sept call-ups give players a chance to see the majors but the level of play is often watered down with roster expansion and teams resting players for postseason However, if a team thinks a prospect is exceeding in AAA, then a post all-star call-up can give them experience in games that matter as well as working w the MLB coaching staff.  But some organizations , like the White Sox, may be more concerned w service time. 

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I look at it differently. Putting service time aside, I tend to think Sept call-ups give players a chance to see the majors but the level of play is often watered down with roster expansion and teams resting players for postseason However, if a team thinks a prospect is exceeding in AAA, then a post all-star call-up can give them experience in games that matter as well as working w the MLB coaching staff.  But some organizations , like the White Sox, may be more concerned w service time. 

Yah.  I get it.  There is value to getting Cease some MLB action this year.  I agree.  I just am not willing to give up close to 20% of his control for a handful of starts.  If they want to get him up here in a couple weeks, sure go for it.  Once the ASG hits and if he still in AAA, just leave him there until late May 2020.  Yes, I know control is different for pitchers than hitters, and you want to get as many innings out of each guy as you can while they're healthy, but still.  The Kopech injury was an absolute kick to the nuts, and pretty much eliminated any chance of the Sox being long shot contenders in 2019, and this organization cannot afford to repeat that mistake.  Get Cease up here in June, or leave him in AAA for the season.  I understand others have different opinions on this and that is fine, but I feel pretty strongly about this one.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  I get it.  There is value to getting Cease some MLB action this year.  I agree.  I just am not willing to give up close to 20% of his control for a handful of starts.  If they want to get him up here in a couple weeks, sure go for it.  Once the ASG hits and if he still in AAA, just leave him there until late May 2020.  Yes, I know control is different for pitchers than hitters, and you want to get as many innings out of each guy as you can while they're healthy, but still.  The Kopech injury was an absolute kick to the nuts, and pretty much eliminated any chance of the Sox being long shot contenders in 2019, and this organization cannot afford to repeat that mistake.  Get Cease up here in June, or leave him in AAA for the season.  I understand others have different opinions on this and that is fine, but I feel pretty strongly about this one.  

guessing on his innings limit, he probably had about 100 left l. that takes him to 152 after 124 last year. 

so they need to decide the best use if those innings. Tue Sox have 74 games after the all star break. that's roughly 15 starts each for a staff of 5.

it will just depend in if they want to keep him down and keep the innings low. Or if they bring him up and shut him down early because I dont think they want to limit him to 4 innings or start at the mlb level.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, ChiSox59 said:

I don't want his first start in Chicago to look like that.  Air would immediately go out of that Cease balloon.