6/1 Games

soxfan49

6 hours ago, The Sir said:

End of the year. Start him in Charlotte next year. Everyone’s going to hate this, but Gordon Beckham destroyed AA-AAA when he was there. So did Eloy. Slow it down. There is absolutely no reason to rush him.

The absolute latest Robert should be with the big league team is late April of next year (after the free year of service date has passed). 

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Did we just see a GB comparison to the most toolsy, dynamic player the Sox have maybe ever had in the minors? If Robert fails in MLB...it's because he has chronic injury issues...not because he strikes out at 21%. His wrists and body makeup are no joke.

This is baloney. We all know now this Gordo is a light-hitting utilityman, but that’s not what everyone saw in 2009. Back then, he was a high-end draft pick, he was destroying the minors (and even MLB, briefly), and people would have been absolutely justified in thinking he was a future star. So it’s totally fair to use him as an analogy/warning to not rush another highly touted prospect.

29 minutes ago, The Sir said:

This is baloney. We all know now this Gordo is a light-hitting utilityman, but that’s not what everyone saw in 2009. Back then, he was a high-end draft pick, he was destroying the minors (and even MLB, briefly), and people would have been absolutely justified in thinking he was a future star. So it’s totally fair to use him as an analogy/warning to not rush another highly touted prospect.

This is just as silly as your theory Robert should have been left in A ball for the rest of the year because he had a 23% K rate. Have you learned anything about prospect development since then? I thought it would have been shocking for you that Robert is succeeding at AA and lowered his K rate at the same time?

Many prospects around the league have succeeded since Beckham when given an aggressive assignment. What happened to Beckham has absolutely nothing to do with Robert. Aggressive assignments rarely ruin prospects, prospects get exposed because they lack talent and that is something you could spend years in minor and still have the same issue at the highest level.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, The Sir said:

If Gordon Beckham spent another year at AAA, do you think he would have turned out differently?

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he keeps this up how long will he stay in Birmingham ? I'll just guess til slightly after the the Baron's All-Star break.

My guess would be July 1st. That would give him another full month in Birmingham. If he does in June, what he did in May, then I think he’ll be in Charlotte around July 1st.

24 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

My guess would be July 1st. That would give him another full month in Birmingham. If he does in June, what he did in May, then I think he’ll be in Charlotte around July 1st.

If he keeps this up, a 50-60 game sample size is enough to show he's ready to handle pitching at next level.

12 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Gordon Beckham sucks because he couldn't make adjustments after his rookie season, not because he didn't spend another year at AAA.

This.  In order to become good/great over a long period of time you NEED to make adjustments.  Scouting is waaaaaay too good to be able to stay good without making adjustments.  They will find your weakness and exploit it.