When will Luis Robert be promoted again?

KnightsOnMintSt

Started talking about this in one of the gameday threads, but when does everyone think that Robert will get promoted?

I’m thinking if he puts up these same kind of numbers that he has been putting up so far, we’ll see him around July 1st.

Robert is batting .324 with a .917 ops with Birmingham this season.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

What is the point of burning his service time? We've had this discussion many times, the last one being over Eloy. The Sox are not going to be in contention, with this thin pitching staff. Wait until the date, next year, when we will still have 6 full years of control, starting in 2021. Next year is the soonest realistic chance for this team to be competitive. Having both Kopeck and Cease join the rotation, could be enough to vault the Sox into contention. What's wrong with letting him finish the year between Birmingham and Charlotte? He's only 22. Perhaps you were asking when he will be promoted to AAA. That is a good question. It may be more challenging for him to continue hitting at Birmingham. No one else seems to be able to hit much there.

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

What is the point of burning his service time? We've had this discussion many times, the last one being over Eloy. The Sox are not going to be in contention, with this thin pitching staff. Wait until the date, next year, when we will still have 6 full years of control, starting in 2021. Next year is the soonest realistic chance for this team to be competitive. Having both Kopeck and Cease join the rotation, could be enough to vault the Sox into contention. What's wrong with letting him finish the year between Birmingham and Charlotte? He's only 22.

There's no guarantee that the current arbitration structure is going to be around much longer. There is almost certainly going to be a strike when the current CBA is up and that has to be one of the focal points for the players in the next round of negotiations. Beyond that the clock is already ticking on Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, Kopech, Eloy, etc. I get not wanting to have every one of those guys hitting free agency at the same time, but it's more important for them to all be good at the same time in my opinion. I'm not calling for him to be promoted to the majors right now, but I wouldn't be mad about it either. I think giving him June in AA and July and August in AAA and then calling him up in September makes the most sense. He'd have the same control making his debut in September or starting with the team to begin the year in 2020. Getting him 100 ABs at the big league level would give him the opportunity to work on whatever issues he has in his first ABs. I think Eloy could have benefitted from that last year.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Let him spend all of August and September in AAA, that should be good for about 150-200 PA down there.   Next year they can do the "maybe he can make the club out of spring" talk and then bring him up once he's outside of super 2, if that's a concern for them.

I think he'll be up on April 25th or whatever the exact date is that the Sox get 7 seasons of control.  And that is exactly what they should do.  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think he'll be up on April 25th or whatever the exact date is that the Sox get 7 seasons of control.  And that is exactly what they should do.  

agreed. unless there are rumors about changes in the CBA related to this.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yup that's perfect.  No reason to call him up before then.  

They already completely screwed the pooch on Kopech (obviously a little different being a pitcher), but they cannot afford another massive fuck up like that.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They already completely screwed the pooch on Kopech (obviously a little different being a pitcher), but they cannot afford another massive fuck up like that.  

what did they screw up with kopech? he was an appropriate development timeline.  the same timeline they will use for Cease this year.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

His injury is exactly why you don't play the service time game with pitchers. Injuries happen so you want to get them when they are ready.

11 minutes ago, danman31 said:

His injury is exactly why you don't play the service time game with pitchers. Injuries happen so you want to get them when they are ready.

I think his point is that had he needed the surgery while still in AAA, he would've gotten it and not blown a year of service time...right?

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I think his point is that had he needed the surgery while still in AAA, he would've gotten it and not blown a year of service time...right?

But you can't predict injuries. You get them on what you think is the appropriate timeline and stick to it. In hindsight it would have been better but developmentally it was the right time as it will be with Cease. 

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Obviously that's his point, but that's revisionist history. He was ready. An injury can happen at any time. When the guy is capable of giving you MLB-caliber innings, you take them. Projecting 7 years out for pitchers is so difficult because of the high risk of significant injury.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Blowing close to 20% of his service time for a handful of starts was idiotic. They could have easily have kept him there until April 2019, and that was always my take even when they brought him up and before he got hurt. 

It’s spilled milk now, but I hated the move when it happened (tho was excited to watch him pitch!) and hated it even more when he blew his elbow. 

Is what it is now. 

Edited by ChiSox59

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

We all know he would have blown his arm out up here this season. And it would have been in like August costing us a possible 2020 contending year. I am confident they can re-sign him to a good deal and am glad he is getting TJ out the way early in a non contending year. 

19 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

@The Sir didn’t think he was ready for AA 😂

I wanted him to move slower, yes. I still don't want to rush him. Leave him at AA for the rest of the year. This drive to push him to AAA and the bigs ASAP is baffling to me. Eloy destroyed AA and even AAA, but is still trying to figure out MLB. And he had a much longer track record of MiLB success. Robert's not even at 50 games of minors time worth writing home about. So slow it down.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I wanted him to move slower, yes. I still don't want to rush him. Leave him at AA for the rest of the year. This drive to push him to AAA and the bigs ASAP is baffling to me. Eloy destroyed AA and even AAA, but is still trying to figure out MLB. And he had a much longer track record of MiLB success. Robert's not even at 50 games of minors time worth writing home about. So slow it down.

How many minor league games did Juan Soto play before his MLB promotion?

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How many minor league games did Juan Soto play before his MLB promotion?

Don't know, don't care. He plays in an organization that has produced a decent number of solid MLB hitters in the last decade. Robert doesn't.