When will Luis Robert be promoted again?

KnightsOnMintSt

46 minutes ago, Jake said:

For the record, while I'm firmly on the "promote them when they're ready and don't sweat the service time" bandwagon, I find Luis Robert to be a tricky case. No past track record of success, has shown some history of contact/patience issues, doesn't have a lot of experience in general. He might be ready now or he might be in for a very rude awakening if he's moved up now. I don't know.

Technically everything he's done is in the "past" yet that production shows great numbers. Like you said, his hit tool was the most in question yet as of late he isn't striking out at all. He was a great player in Cuba and outside of the time frame when he was injured here, he's been unreal.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

For the record, while I'm firmly on the "promote them when they're ready and don't sweat the service time" bandwagon, I find Luis Robert to be a tricky case. No past track record of success, has shown some history of contact/patience issues, doesn't have a lot of experience in general. He might be ready now or he might be in for a very rude awakening if he's moved up now. I don't know.

Whether he gets weaknesses exposed at higher levels or not, continuously hitting .350 in AA doesn't do anyone any good. You can't find holes to fix that way. 

Edited by mqr

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm almost to the point where I think they should bring him to the big club so he has the entire offseason to work on any adjustments that he may need to. They need to go Twin hunting in 2020. 

Yup. Service time be damned, it's more important they all be good at the same time. You got your savings on Eloy, you're getting them on Cease, Giolito, Moncada. It's time to stop worrying about 2027 and start worrying about 2020. If you're going to punt 2020, whatever then, wait until April, but punting would be a bad decision. 

It's not because I want to be entertained in 2019, it's because I want the best possible version of Luis Robert in 2020

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yup. Service time be damned, it's more important they all be good at the same time. You got your savings on Eloy, you're getting them on Cease, Giolito, Moncada. It's time to stop worrying about 2027 and start worrying about 2020. If you're going to punt 2020, whatever then, wait until April, but punting would be a bad decision. 

It's not because I want to be entertained in 2019, it's because I want the best possible version of Luis Robert in 2020

Well said, every young player eventually takes his lumps in the majors before becoming a final product. If Luis continues killing AA then call him up this summer and let get acclimated in this throwaway season so that next year the young guys are battle tested and acclimated to the majors. We're seeing the fruits of that strategy currently with Timmy and Yoan.

• Like 1

Fegans mailbag he mentioned how Robert has admitted he is learning a lot by the advanced sequencing in AA despite him cruising in the stats dept. Kind of gets at why I think AA is the best developent spot for him and I don't care if he skips AAA or not, though I think AAA will see him deal with pitchers throwing with better offspeed/breaking control stuff.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fegans mailbag he mentioned how Robert has admitted he is learning a lot by the advanced sequencing in AA despite him cruising in the stats dept. Kind of gets at why I think AA is the best developent spot for him and I don't care if he skips AAA or not, though I think AAA will see him deal with pitchers throwing with better offspeed/breaking control stuff.

Yeah, I want to see how he reacts to pitchers that can throw offspeed stuff for strikes. 

1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

When does the organization get out of spending limitations on the international market due to the Robert signing?

Is there anyone of his caliber coming up?

I think this upcoming period. But there's stricter restrictions on spending on the amateur free agents than when they signed Robert.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think this upcoming period. But there's stricter restrictions on spending on the amateur free agents than when they signed Robert.

That theoretically should help the sox. I know, I know, Robert, but by and large they were ceding ground to the other orgs in international and allowed themselves to get muscled out.

We did the right thing with Eloy and he is still struggling a bit to find his way. I wouldn't mind an early call up for Luis to give him more time to adjust at this level. He's not going to get much better in the minors since he has already played professionally before. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, mqr said:

Yep, 2020 is a nice year to have people up with key free agent signings. Minnesota won't be this good next year as the baseball gods even things out. We can grab this division by the balls and make a sneak run at it in 2020. We have at least seven years to contend beginning next year so let's make it count. We are probably gonna let Rodon go and give his money to Gio. Manny Machados money can go to Yoan if he has another few good years. Abreu's and Alonso's money can go to JD Martinez. Jon Jay's, Herrera's, and Nova's money can go to Ozuna. 

19 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

We did the right thing with Eloy and he is still struggling a bit to find his way. I wouldn't mind an early call up for Luis to give him more time to adjust at this level. He's not going to get much better in the minors since he has already played professionally before. 

I remember thinking the same thing about Eloy, but accepting the "service time" angle.

Now, as we watch the comedy of him trying to play LF while hurting himself, and shuffling at the plate, I wonder if he couldn't have done with more time in AAA. With Robert, his health had been an issue, and I don't know how he is as a defender. But on this org, "learning at the big league level" oftentimes seems to lead to slower and incomplete development.

We'll simply have to see with Robert.

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I remember thinking the same thing about Eloy, but accepting the "service time" angle.

Now, as we watch the comedy of him trying to play LF while hurting himself, and shuffling at the plate, I wonder if he couldn't have done with more time in AAA. With Robert, his health had been an issue, and I don't know how he is as a defender. But on this org, "learning at the big league level" oftentimes seems to lead to slower and incomplete development.

We'll simply have to see with Robert.

More AAA time wouldn't help Eloy's defense or offense. It's okay to take lumps up here. I just don't see how Robert gets much better being down there. This season is a dead end so him sucking at first is fine. He'd be better able to help us in our first go for it year in 2020. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ima just leave this here.

2018 Eloy in AA (205 AB) 65 H, 15 2B, 2 3B, 10 HR, 42 RBI, 18 BB 39 SO (.317/.368/.556/.925) .407 wOBA, 157 wRC+

2019 Robert in AA (206 AB) 66 H, 15 2B, 3 3B, 7 HR, 27 RBI, 12 BB, 52 SO (.320/.367/.524/.891) .410 wOBA, 163 wRC+

On 6/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, mqr said:

The irony is, if you punt 2020 then you are giving up a contending season anyway. I'd see if we can tack on an extra year or two to him and Magical in exchange for coming up earlier if they continue to produce. Magical is gonna be who he is since he is a professional hitter. I don't see him getting better staying in the minors. I also do not see him developing more power in the minors over the next three months. 

On 6/30/2019 at 11:49 PM, SoxAce said:

Ima just leave this here.

2018 Eloy in AA (205 AB) 65 H, 15 2B, 2 3B, 10 HR, 42 RBI, 18 BB 39 SO (.317/.368/.556/.925) .407 wOBA, 157 wRC+

2019 Robert in AA (206 AB) 66 H, 15 2B, 3 3B, 7 HR, 27 RBI, 12 BB, 52 SO (.320/.367/.524/.891) .410 wOBA, 163 wRC+

Admittedly I know nothing about wRC+. I know it's weighted runs created and whatever the plus is but that's all I know . Just by looking at the stats there  I don't understand how Robert's is higher than Eloys, Eloy 2 more extra base hits, 15 more RBI, 6 more walks, 13 less K's, OBP about the same. Eloy slg. and OPS higher. I know their stats are very similar as is the wRC+ but strange to see Eloy's even slightly lower.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Admittedly I know nothing about wRC+. I know it's weighted runs created and whatever the plus is but that's all I know . Just by looking at the stats there  I don't understand how Robert's is higher than Eloys, Eloy 2 more extra base hits, 15 more RBI, 6 more walks, 13 less K's, OBP about the same. Eloy slg. and OPS higher. I know their stats are very similar as is the wRC+ but strange to see Eloy's even slightly lower.

I was wondering that as well. 

I know some of those advanced stats are park adjusted but I thought the minor league numbers weren't. 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Going to guess a portion of it is Robert should have a good boost in baserunning value which is a part of wrc+. 

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are stolen bases included in that stat?