Eloy Jimenez discussion thread

Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

I feel like if that is ever going to happen, it would with Luis Robert.

Could be

I thought Eloy was that guy, if I'm being honest. The way he was just obliterating AAA pitching last season. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

He just looks like he doesn't have a plan up at the plate sometimes and it makes him look extremely overmatched. Plus he's trying to hit everything as hard as he can. I think he's just trying too hard to hit homers, especially at home. I feel like the contract he signed and the expectations of him are definitely weighing him down a bit.

24 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

I feel like if that is ever going to happen, it would with Luis Robert.

That's easier to say after the torrid run Robert has been on. Eloy was even better hitting wise. I thought he was a sure thing from the start. There were rumors during his last spring training with the Cubs that many thought his bat was MLB ready then. 

13 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He just looks like he doesn't have a plan up at the plate sometimes and it makes him look extremely overmatched. Plus he's trying to hit everything as hard as he can. I think he's just trying too hard to hit homers, especially at home. I feel like the contract he signed and the expectations of him are definitely weighing him down a bit.

He's a young dude who just got a big contract. He even mentioned that he was pressing recently. He'll come around.

I am far from worried, but he has some adapting to do.  He is pretty easy to get out right now, and it seems all he can hit is fastballs, and no one is throwing him any.  

He'll get better with time.  

6 hours ago, NWINFan said:

During the rebuild, many fans have expected these young players to be called up from the minors and just tear up the league. It is not surprising that Eloy is struggling. Cease and Kopech will also. Some expectations are just not realistic.

In some ways that's why I want them up sooner than later.  No matter how you do it...there is an adjustment period for almost everyone.  They come up...take their lumps and work it out.  In theory they are working with the best coaches, trainers and facilities.  IMO playing against the best help develop their talent faster.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

In some ways that's why I want them up sooner than later.  No matter how you do it...there is an adjustment period for almost everyone.  They come up...take their lumps and work it out.  In theory they are working with the best coaches, trainers and facilities.  IMO playing against the best help develop their talent faster.

Totally.  Eloy was done in the minors

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy is a gargantuan long limbed fellow . Baseball is the one sport for all shapes and sizes but i think the tall long limbed  need to make more adjustments to compact things. Shorten the swing , maybe a crouch to keep your strike zone smaller. The long armed guys like to get full extension on swings and many stand off the plate and hitting the opposite way is natural like it is to Eloy. Problem is big leagues pitcher have great curves and slidesr and live on and off the outside edge of the plate;

As much as Eloy likes going to right field that makes him susceptible to those pitches. Even when he makes good contact I've seen him line out to the right fielder already more than a few times. He might have to move closer to the plate and relearn  what he wants to swing at so instead of lining out to right he can either hit the RCF gap or put it in the RF seats. He'll also be much better at driving the ball to CF. If he does this and succeeds then pitchers will start seeing how he handles stuff inner portion of the plate which he might handle better if he is good as being less tall and shortening the arms to pull the ball much like we saw recently from Tim Anderson and Abreu.

Great observation. I did not get to see him in minors except occassional highlights but I am struck by the unusual stance at the plate. Seems way too coiled up and tight. Takes him too long to pick up the pitch and react making it difficult to pull unless the pitch is inside. I just don't recall seeing that stance in videos. Has he always done this?

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

He’ll be fine by the time it matters.

Like all White Sox prospects, he has to develop while taking his lumps in the Majors. But he’ll have the leash and the talent to make it work, ultimately. 

I don't disagree but given the hype, it would have been nice if he could have started his career raking like Chavis, Riley and others who were ranked much lower than Eloy.

23 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yeah, he is only 139 PAs into his ML career. I get that people would have wanted him to be great off the blocks, but 140 PAs is nothing.

Just the same situation as Moncada & Anderson.  Takes a while to get comfy...then look out.