Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Parkman

Eloy Jimenez discussion thread

Recommended Posts

Eloy is struggling to start his MLB career, but I don't think he's that far off. 

.223/.273/.392 isn't what we thought we were getting, but I'm interested to see what everyone thinks. I hope most people aren't as short-sighted as they were with Moncada and Giolito.

That being said, I was at the game today and he looked like crap.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s been bad, no getting around that. Still think he’ll be fine, but I don’t know that he’ll ever be playable in left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah I'm not worried in the least bit about his bat

I'm not worried about him at all actually. I think he can play a passable LF with some offseason work. It might take until 2021 before he gets there, but I do think it is possible. Is he awful currently? Yeah. Schwarber was worse than Eloy and he's passable now. That being said, Schwarber has a cannon arm and Eloy has a noodle. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy is struggling to start his MLB career, but I don't think he's that far off. 

.223/.273/.392 isn't what we thought we were getting, but I'm interested to see what everyone thinks. I hope most people aren't as short-sighted as they were with Moncada and Giolito.

You were spot on with Giolito but I find this funny coming from you bashing on Moncada last year. Probably need to take the L there.

Edited by SoxAce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

You were spot on with Giolito but I find this funny coming from you bashing on Moncada last year. Probably need to take the L there.

Did I really? I don't remember. I defended him for the longest time until I said that he was too talented to suck forever, but his performance last year couldn't be defended. I believe a at a point I said the same about Giolito. The were both bad last year. No sugar coating it, but I always thought that that both would turn it around. 

I suggest you go read my posts in the Moncada thread I went as far back as late July 2018 and I was still defending him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did I really? I don't remember. I defended him for the longest time until I said that he was too talented to suck forever, but his performance last year couldn't be defended. I believe a at a point I said the same about Giolito. The were both bad last year. No sugar coating it, but I always thought that that both would turn it around. 

I suggest you go read my posts in the Moncada thread I went as far back as late July 2018 and I was still defending him. 

I remember the game threads on you bashing him, but that might of been just spur of the moment with you since you tend to do that alot.

Edited by SoxAce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I remember the game threads on you bashing him, but that might of been just spur of the moment with you since you tend to do that alot.

Game threads are me reacting to what's going on in that game that day. If he was going 0-4 with a sombrero of course I'd rip on him for that. I ripped on Konerko when he'd GIDP with RISP. I'm non-discriminatory in GDT. If you suck, you suck. 

Don't you remember the "nickname" GIDPPK? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Game threads are me reacting to what's going on in that game that day. If he was going 0-4 with a sombrero of course I'd rip on him for that.

Except when it was Giolito sucking.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me throw my hat into the "not the slightest bit worried about Eloy" ring. 

However, he IS a straight up clown show in left. He makes many routine catches look incredibly difficult. I give baseball lessons to high school kids and the stuff he does out there often reminds me of how players that age react.

Since coming off of the DL, there's been a multitude of plays where he takes a horrible angle, freezes entirely, misjudges a ball off the bat... etc... before he goes staggering in the correct direction with little to no body control. Then he makes what should be a routine play on the run with his arm extended or falling to the ground. The bullpen sarcastically applauds him and Benetti gets excited. I think a lot of fans are misconstruing that as Eloy actually doing something positive. When just a league average outfielder makes those plays boring.

Now, he's a really good athlete, so he can clearly get better. However, it's an adventure for him out there at the moment. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Except when it was Giolito sucking.. ;)

I thought people were more rational with Moncada than him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought people were more rational with Moncada than him. 

Might have had something to do with the fact that moncada wasnt the worst player in baseball?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the rebuild, many fans have expected these young players to be called up from the minors and just tear up the league. It is not surprising that Eloy is struggling. Cease and Kopech will also. Some expectations are just not realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eloy is a gargantuan long limbed fellow . Baseball is the one sport for all shapes and sizes but i think the tall long limbed  need to make more adjustments to compact things. Shorten the swing , maybe a crouch to keep your strike zone smaller. The long armed guys like to get full extension on swings and many stand off the plate and hitting the opposite way is natural like it is to Eloy. Problem is big leagues pitcher have great curves and slidesr and live on and off the outside edge of the plate;

As much as Eloy likes going to right field that makes him susceptible to those pitches. Even when he makes good contact I've seen him line out to the right fielder already more than a few times. He might have to move closer to the plate and relearn  what he wants to swing at so instead of lining out to right he can either hit the RCF gap or put it in the RF seats. He'll also be much better at driving the ball to CF. If he does this and succeeds then pitchers will start seeing how he handles stuff inner portion of the plate which he might handle better if he is good as being less tall and shortening the arms to pull the ball much like we saw recently from Tim Anderson and Abreu.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

During the rebuild, many fans have expected these young players to be called up from the minors and just tear up the league. It is not surprising that Eloy is struggling. Cease and Kopech will also. Some expectations are just not realistic.

Without a doubt. However, it would be nice if one of these days we could just get a Juan Soto or Gary Sanchez who just comes up and sets the league ablaze. lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, South Sider said:

"Im ready".

🤐

He still wasn’t wrong

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Richie said:

Without a doubt. However, it would be nice if one of these days we could just get a Juan Soto or Gary Sanchez who just comes up and sets the league ablaze. lol

Gordon Beckham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Gordon Beckham. 

Good point. 

Side Note: I live in the Detroit area and usually have the Tigers games on the TV while I watch the White Sox on my laptop. I have enjoyed rooting for Beckham whenever he's in the lineup. Which has been a lot. I knew he had a cup of coffee with Seattle recently, but figured he'd never get another shot like this. He hasn't been completely horrible. 

 

Edited by Richie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Richie said:

Without a doubt. However, it would be nice if one of these days we could just get a Juan Soto or Gary Sanchez who just comes up and sets the league ablaze. lol

I feel like if that is ever going to happen, it would with Luis Robert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×