***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just 20 years of being a diehard baseball fan and a prospect nerd. I trust FV much more once they've been in the pro ranks for a full season, rather than as an amateur. A lot of it has to do with the Aluminum/Wood transition and quality of competition. When you're in the pros, You're facing everyone's Friday starter. 

I'm not getting on you Jack and sorry if I missed this earlier, but who would you have liked that was available at #3?

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not getting on you Jack and sorry if I missed this earlier, but who would you have liked that was available at #3?

I wasn't in the draft room. It was a toss up for me with Bleday and Vaughn. I would have gone Bleday based on what I know. If they're KLaw on Vaughn(70 hit, 80 power) I am fine with Vaughn. If they were MLB Pipeline on Vaughn( 60 hit, 60 power) I would have gone with Bleday. 

Based on MLB pipeline and Fangraphs scouting reports, I would have chosen Bleday, as I thought he was safer with similar upside and a left handed bat. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't in the draft room. It was a toss up for me with Bleday and Vaughn. I would have gone Bleday based on what I know. If they're KLaw on Vaughn(70 hit, 80 power) I am fine with Vaughn. If they were MLB Pipeline on Vaughn( 60 hit, 60 power) I would have gone with Bleday. 

Fair enough thanks...I didn't know if you preferred Abrams or did someone else 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Look at Ray Ray Run

I wasn't saying that Vaughn had no upside, as much as I was lamenting how much of it was mitigated by his position on the diamond. Listen, I completely understand why they made this pick. They had to have thought that Vaughn's bat was light years ahead of Bleday, which is fine. They have to be proven right. He absolutely has to rake. ( I hate the term "mash" and much prefer "rake") As long as he hits piss rockets and makes pitchers look silly, it is fine. I agree that for position players, hitting comes first and defense second, however I don't like taking players whose entire value revolves around the two most volatile tools in the amateur-pro transition in the top 5. Personal philosophy. There is a really good chance that his power and hit tool won't translate like they think it does. If it translates, and he's actually a 70 hit/80 power guy then it is a wonderful pick. I happen to think that hit and power are the hardest tools to accurately scout amateur position players on and a lot of times you end up wrong. I'd rather pick a 55 hit/60 power guy with plus defense and arm(Bleday) than a guy who has his entire value in hit/power. My argument isn't that Vaughn doesn't have bigger upside, but it is more that they absolutely have to nail this pick and I'd rather have someone with a larger margin for error. I think Vaughn's is razor thin. 

This is the upside pick here, but it reeks of Jared Mitchell upside and not Mike Trout upside. 

Fair assessment. I do not post frequently, but I think that the one thing that people like you miss is that sports are about production. You can have all of the upside in the world. None of it matters once you step on the field. You need to produce. Simple as that. What good if 80 grade speed if you cannot hit the ball or catch the ball? What good is being able to swing lefty if you do not have a great eye and can't hit a curveball? What good is being a switch hitter if you lack plate discipline and swing at 50% of all balls thrown out of the strike zone?

When I read analysts and mock draftors, I always LOL at how they slot guys and why. If you could go back in time, would you draft Frank Thomas 1-1 in 1989? Of course you would. He is a first ballot HOFer and among probably the top 20 hitters who ever played the game. Granted, not everyone is at his level, but the point remains. You draft players who produce. Having upside (see Courtney Hawkins or Keon Barnum) means nothing if you cannot harness it and produce. Why do you want to pass on Andrew Vaughn and his production just because he bats right and plays 1B? This is a guy you want hitting in the heart of your lineup. He has proven production in one of the Top 2 conference in America. If you would rather have some "toolsy" kid who hit over .400 in HS playing SS, to me that is much riskier. Plenty of great HS players never lived up to their hype in college (let alone MLB). Same with NBA players.

Give me a guy with a proven track record of production. Position be damned.

• bmags unpinned this topic