***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I trash Madrigal because he was supposed to have a 70 hit tool and he's not showing it. I like Madrigal, I'm frustrated he's not hitting like he should. I was in favor of that pick. Never expected any HR power, but did expect tons of 2B and SB, with elite 3B numbers. I did forget about his wrist injury, so he's excused until now. He better start hitting for average. 

Madrigal so far is exhibit A for volatility of amateur hit/power tools.

What?????

He has the lowest k-rate In ALL of professional baseball jack the lowest swing and miss rate as well (of thousands of professional baseball players). That is literally one of the main basis for hit tool. Power feeds into a hit tool to assist average, but putting every pitch in play and never missing is literally the definition of a hit tool. Madrigal hit tool had absolutely been a 70. The problem is his power hasnt come up yet.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, I question production until the MLB level. You never know until you get to the highest level. AAAA players exist for a reason. 

How many guys have terrible production in the minors and then are stars in the majors? 

At some point you have to produce.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Maybe the negative posters are just posting more but I feel like Vaughn is being extremely underrated here. 

I liked the pick but I've been watching more highlights of the ball exploding off his bat and I love this pick the more I see his swing 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What?????

He has the lowest k-rate In ALL of professional baseball jack. That is literally one of the main basis for hit tool. Power feeds into a hit tool to assist average, but putting every pitch in play and never missing is literally the definition of a hit tool. Madrigal hit tool had absolutely been a 70. The problem is his power hasnt come up yet.

I never thought of it that way. What good is putting balls in play if you hit it to the defense every time?  You gotta get hits man. 

To me, a 70 hit tool should be hitting at least .330, if not .350+ in A+. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Maybe the negative posters are just posting more but I feel like Vaughn is being extremely underrated here. 

He's got a sweet swing (Bleday doesn't).  I presume the bat speed and all off that are up to spiff.

Same risk of a 1B that exists with a corner OF.  If you don't hit, you aren't going to make it.

Edited by GreenSox

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I trash Madrigal because he was supposed to have a 70 hit tool and he's not showing it. I like Madrigal, I'm frustrated he's not hitting like he should. I was in favor of that pick. Never expected any HR power, but did expect tons of 2B and SB, with elite 3B numbers. I did forget about his wrist injury, so he's excused until now. He better start hitting for average. 

Madrigal so far is exhibit A for volatility of amateur hit/power tools.

Yea bro your argument is completely falling apart here. You want a guy who, unlike Vaughn, has a high floor and offers more value than just hit/power, Madrigal is exactly that. Or if you want a guy, who unlike Madrigal, who could hit and hit right away and Vaughn will be that. You can’t argue both ways however.

And you can keep talking up Bedlay, but no way I’m taking him over Vaughn with the swing and miss issue. He has a plus arm but isn’t a plus defender. That plus arm in RF isn’t enough for me to pass on Vaughn’s pure hitting ability. He’s more of a Jared Mitchell comp risk-wise than Vaughn. 

So we are in the comp round.

My takeaways:

- Leiter is unsignable at this point.

- Misner, Paris somewhat surprising drops to me

- This comp round is going to be a blood bath for the players I like 🥵

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I never thought of it that way. What good is putting balls in play if you hit it to the defense every time. You gotta get hits man. 

Yep, he has to be a line drive doubles hitter if he doesn’t hit homeruns, not a slap hitter at all costs just to make contact and not strikeout.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I never thought of it that way. What good is putting balls in play if you hit it to the defense every time?  You gotta get hits man. 

Didn’t you just recently say you don’t care about results until they get to the Majors?  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

My takeaways:

Good as time as any to reiterate how much I fucking hate the comp round.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

My takeaways:

I think it was FG that said Leiters number was 4 mil and would only take it from certain teams.  

• bmags unpinned this topic