***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I never thought of it that way. What good is putting balls in play if you hit it to the defense every time?  You gotta get hits man. 

To me, a 70 hit tool should be hitting at least .330, if not .350+ in A+. 

No, a hit tool requires some power in it to produce a high average. An 80 hit tool with a 20 power would be a guy who would fight to hit 250. Contact quality is really important, and most people who can find contact consistently and play professional baseball will find enough power to hit for great average. That's why people are worrying too much about madrigal. He's not overmatched, he just doesnt have quite enough oooomph on his balls yet to boost his average but hes still getting to everything, putting it in play and not swing and missing. The next step in production will be learning to attach pitches he can drive while increasing his overall hit authority. The reason you take a 70+ hit tool early with power questions is that you need such little power for that grade to matter - below average league power and a 70 hit tool is an elite hitter.

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea bro your argument is completely falling apart here. You want a guy who, unlike Vaughn, has a high floor and offers more value than just hit/power, Madrigal is exactly that. Or if you want a guy, who unlike Madrigal, who could hit and hit right away and Vaughn will be that. You can’t argue both ways however.

And you can keep talking up Bedlay, but no way I’m taking him over Vaughn with the swing and miss issue. He has a plus arm but isn’t a plus defender. That plus arm in RF isn’t enough for me to pass on Vaughn’s pure hitting ability. He’s more of a Jared Mitchell comp risk-wise than Vaughn. 

I'm of the opinion that this is a crappy draft for guys I like. I'm fine with Vaughn, hope he rakes.  

To be honest, I really wasn't crazy about anyone other than Adley and Witt. Whichever guy they took if those two were of the board I'd be fine with. In the T10, 3-10 were meh to me. This may sound crazy, but I trust people who are paid for their opinion more than mine on this. My whole argument about Vaughn wasn't that he is a bad pick, or even the wrong pick. It is more about the notion that he's "safe"  when he's anything but. 

There has been a misunderstanding about me absolutely hating Vaughn, and that couldn't be further from the truth. I take exception to those that think he's safe. That is all. I've been expecting them to pick Vaughn since Spring traning. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Maybe the negative posters are just posting more but I feel like Vaughn is being extremely underrated here. 

Maybe...but this is a tremendous pick by the Sox. Vaughn will hit at this level...

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The best WS player in my lifetime was a 1B.

People don't realize how special Frank was. That is taking his ceiling as a draft prospect and busting through it. Frank Thomas, as a pure hitter is one of the top 10, if not top 5 right handed hitters of all time. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

People don't realize how special Frank was. That is taking his ceiling as a draft prospect and busting through it. Frank Thomas, as a pure hitter is one of the top 10, if not top 5 right handed hitters of all time. 

I think most people understand how special one of the three greatest right handed hitters ever was.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, a hit tool requires some power in it to produce a high average. An 80 hit tool with a 20 power would be a guy who would fight to hit 250. Contact quality is really important, and most people who can find contact consistently and play professional baseball will find enough power to hit for great average. That's why people are worrying too much about madrigal. He's not overmatched, he just doesnt have quite enough oooomph on his balls yet to boost his average but hes still getting to everything, putting it in play and not swing and missing. The next step in production will be learning to attach pitches he can drive while increasing his overall hit authority. The reason you take a 70+ hit tool early with power questions is that you need such little power for that grade to matter - below average league power and a 70 hit tool is an elite hitter.

This is questionable. Juan Pierre had 20 power, didn’t have an 80 hit tool, and managed to make a nice career. There’s other variables that come into play. 

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea bro your argument is completely falling apart here. You want a guy who, unlike Vaughn, has a high floor and offers more value than just hit/power, Madrigal is exactly that. Or if you want a guy, who unlike Madrigal, who could hit and hit right away and Vaughn will be that. You can’t argue both ways however.

And you can keep talking up Bedlay, but no way I’m taking him over Vaughn with the swing and miss issue. He has a plus arm but isn’t a plus defender. That plus arm in RF isn’t enough for me to pass on Vaughn’s pure hitting ability. He’s more of a Jared Mitchell comp risk-wise than Vaughn. 

Madrigal has a limited ceiling due to his stature and lack of power. Vaughn has to hit otherworldly to separate himself from a typical 1B who is going to hit anyways.

I think it really isn't that difficult figuring out what most of the people who are down on these type of picks actually wanted. Guys with more of ceiling who played premium positions.

Neither guy fits the bill Madrigal doesn't have the ceiling, Vaughn plays a non premium position. When you are picking top 5 you are expecting to walk away with someone who has the potential to be a superstar down the line for both players I don't think anyone expects that out of them both should be good but unless Vaughn bat ends up being top ten in baseball the pick is going to be a waste.

• bmags unpinned this topic