***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

11 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Didn’t you just recently say you don’t care about results until they get to the Majors?  

That is a gray area. There are things that you look for. What I meant is that production isn't the end all be all until the majors. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

People don't realize how special Frank was. That is taking his ceiling as a draft prospect and busting through it. Frank Thomas, as a pure hitter is one of the top 10, if not top 5 right handed hitters of all time. 

I realize how special Frank Thomas was. But the point remains, he was a 1b. You cant just pass on a guy because hes 1b. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm of the opinion that this is a crappy draft for guys I like. I'm fine with Vaughn, hope he rakes.  

To be honest, I really wasn't crazy about anyone other than Adley and Witt. Whichever guy they took if those two were of the board I'd be fine with. in the T10, 3-10 were meh to me. This may sound crazy, but I trust people who are paid for their opinion more than mine on this. My whole argument about Vaughn wasn't that he is a bad pick, or even the wrong pick. It is more about the notion that he's "safe"  when he's anything but. 

There has been a misunderstanding about me absolutely hating Vaughn, and that couldn't be further from the truth. 

I think his hit tool carries, he’ll be a MLB hitter at the very least, serviceable 1B or DH is his likely floor. Guys like Abrams or Bedlay may have higher upside but absolutely bigger question marks. I just didn’t agree with your Vaughn being the most risky top 10 pick comment.

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well, who else are you looking at?

Of players I’ve read about I like the following

prep pitchers:

JJ Goss

Brennan Malone

college:

Sikkema

Seth Johnson

college Hitters:

Matt Wallner

HS hitters:

Kyren Paris

Hampton

Lugo

Henderson

Fletcher

Valdes

• Like 1

@Look at Ray Ray Run the other day you posted a projected MLB slash line for Vaughn that takes his college numbers and puts them into an algorithm that compensates for the better competition. You gave 2 lines, 1 was the expected outcome and 1 was a better outcome (which you opined may have actually been more realistic). Would you mind sharing the lines again? I can't find them anymore, they're buried in the old thread somewhere

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's everyone's love affair with misner here?

Tools. 

He has contact issues, but the tools are off the charts. I think he's a good complement to Vaughn in the 1st round. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think his hit tool carries, he’ll be a MLB hitter at the very least, serviceable 1B or DH is his likely floor. Guys like Abrams or Bedlay may have higher upside but absolutely bigger question marks. I just didn’t agree with your Vaughn being the most risky top 10 pick comment.

Some of the comments make no sense. Besides for Rutschman, Vaughn is basically the safest pick to make it to MLB.

Just now, Heads22 said:

If the MLB ever wanted the draft to get any attention, the pace of it now is beyond horrible.

Seriously. Analysis is fun but these dudes also aren’t immediate contributors, there’s no trades, and it’s obvious the show itself is hugely slowing shit down. It’s ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Of players I’ve read about I like the following

prep pitchers:

JJ Goss

Sign me up, but are there signability issues?

Thanks for the list.

These competitive balance picks piss me off.

Edited by GreenSox

• bmags unpinned this topic