***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol yet you're laughing at me saying Frank is better... now its splitting hairs? So what were you laughing about exactly? 

People can be critical of me for a lot of things, but if I misunderstand or say something wrong I admit it and move on. You didnt understand the discussion, assumed I said Frank was better overall, laughed and were wrong. It's ok to admit it and move on.

Frank is absolutely in the argument for top 5 right handed hitter of all-time, as I wrote and which triggered the discussion.

Where'd I laugh pal?

And I didn't misunderstand.  

Sure he is in the conversation, but to say he is better, like you know, a fact, instead of your opinion, is silly.

Edited by turnin' two

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

What triggered the discussion was you saying he was one of the three best RH hitters ever.

Sure, and I can make a case to support that. 

I prefer peaks. It's an argument that can certainly be made - you listed 6 hitters, i said I would take peak Frank Thomas over all of them. You laughed... now after further looking at the numbers it appears a case can be made for him as well as others. Hence how my opinion is subjective, but absolutely in the realm of reasonable thought.

On that note, I dont want to debate Frank Thomas as willie May's all night. Tre fletcher is off the board so I no longer care about the draft. Have a nice night.

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Where'd I laugh pal?

And I didn't misunderstand.  

Sure he is in the conversation, but to say he is better, like you know, a fact, instead of your opinion, is silly.

I'm pretty sure when anyone says something in regards to rating a player or evaluating a player on here that it is an opinion. 

If itll clear up the confusion I'll go ahead and sign all my posts with 

"In my opinion"

Going forward.

- In my opinion

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I don't know exactly how tough of a sign Jerrion Ealy will be, but from the football recruiting side of things I mostly heard that he wanted to spend one season playing football in college. I think if you signed him and agreed to let him do that he'd be on board. Obviously there is a lot of risk in doing that, but if he's got high enough upside compared to the rest of the players available in the third round I would be just fine with a gamble like that.

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, and I can make a case to support that. 

I prefer peaks. It's an argument that can certainly be made - you listed 6 hitters, i said I would take peak Frank Thomas over all of them. You laughed... now after further looking at the numbers it appears a case can be made for him as well as others. Hence how my opinion is subjective, but absolutely in the realm of reasonable thought.

On that note, I dont want to debate Frank Thomas as willie May's all night. Tre fletcher is off the board so I no longer care about the draft. Have a nice night.

Agreed, its a trivial argument but making the case he is 'in the discussion for top 5'...did not trigger the discussion and wouldn't have warranted a rebuttal from me, nor was it what you said. You proclaimed Thomas to be one of the three best RH hitters of all-time and on that one, even when you later add the modifier 'peaks', cannot go unchecked. 

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Oddly enough, it reminds me of Giolito a bit 

It makes more sense to draft HS pitchers in recent years. MLB clubs can build their own plan and monitor the pitchers workload. They may end up being less of a risk in the long run.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm pretty sure when anyone says something in regards to rating a player or evaluating a player on here that it is an opinion. 

If itll clear up the confusion I'll go ahead and sign all my posts with 

"In my opinion"

Going forward.

- In my opinion

Well, aren't you clever.  

You could use facts too.  Like, if you wanted to say, Frank walked more.  That is a fact.  You could say his OPS was higher.  Overall and in his prime.  That would be a fact.  Now, a big reason for that is his walking.  Does that make him a better hitter?  Well, that is a bit more subjective.  Based on what you are saying, to you, yes it does.  I would maybe disagree.  Mays got more hits.  Overall and in his prime, does that make him a better hitter?  I don't know.  But it is a fact.  Over their best 7 seasons (to match with Frank's prime(91-97), because as mentioned, May's prime (54-60)covered more seasons) Frank hit fewer HRs than Mays.  Frank hit more doubles, by 26, but he hit 77 fewer triples.  Mays had a lot more total bases.  That is not opinion.  It is statistical fact.  Frank had more RBI.  Statistical fact.  Frank walked more (ALOT more) , Frank struck out more (100 times, not really a lot for 7 seasons).  They slugged... the same.  Pretty amazing actually.  Two great hitters.  Two of the best ever.  You don't need to make hyperbolic claims just to make a point.  Just make your point. 

Like I said.  Any difference is splitting hairs to make whatever case you want.  

Frank was amazing.  You (and all of us) hope Vaughn is as well.  We get it. 

Edited by turnin' two

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It makes more sense to draft HS pitchers in recent years. MLB clubs can build their own plan and monitor the pitchers workload. They may end up being less of a risk in the long run.

That is a very interesting take to me. Great point.  Don't let a college coach trying to save his job beat your pitcher up.  

• Like 1

In the third round I want:

College: RP Zach Less (LSU), SP Ryan Pepiot (Butler), P Erik Miller (Stanford), SP/RP Graeme Stinson (Duke) and RP Matt Cronin (Arkansas)  

Prep: OF Chris Newell, CF Dasan Brown, SS Connor Walsh, SP Jack Kochanowicz

I don’t think Hampton is a serious possibility, unless the Sox saved massive cash with Vaughn. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Too hard to tell. We don’t know how expensive Thompson was

I am assuming they saved a bit with Thompson.  Will be interesting to see if they save a bit with Vaughn too. Could enable them to grab one or two more prep arms.  

Post mortem on day 1 for me is bittersweet. Once Adley was picked, Vaughn was the obvious choice and we all know the pros and cons. What would have made it a better day for me was if there was any way we could have floated Espino to 45 even if doing so meant passing on Vaughn in favor of a serious underslot pick. I think I would have preferred Bishop/Bledey and Espino to Vaughn and Thompson, who is just a confusing pick. Of course we would have had to believe Espino was willing.

I was pro-Abrams before tonight, but I've been talked into Vaughn. Pretty excited to see him progress.

That said, I can't believe I spent 5 hours tonight listening to Harold talk, and reading what turned into a shit-show of a thread. I must hate myself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I was pro-Abrams before tonight, but I've been talked into Vaughn. Pretty excited to see him progress.

That said, I can't believe I spent 5 hours tonight listening to Harold talk, and reading what turned into a shit-show of a thread. I must hate myself.

It wasn't Harold, it was Ray Ray, but whatever. 

3 hours ago, OmarComing25 said:

LOL a top 10 bat in baseball is like a 145 wRC+. You going to be disappointed if Vaughn is just a 140 wRC+ hitter?

Considering the value of 1B/DH yes he would have to be special to justify taking him 3rd overall. 1B/DH is the easiest position to fill in baseball and the trade value of most of these guys reflect that.

Unless you are a top, top guy you don't hold much value. The same isn't true conversely for premium positions like CF or SS. Teams have gotten so much smarter realizing cost opportunity/surplus value for those under control and focusing on drafting premium positions. Well except the Sox. As a smaller 1B his defense is never going to be stellar there either. Maybe the hope is he can play the OF. Maybe LF at some point. 

Anyways I've tried to avoid the board because I don't want to be debbie downer but this draft so far and granted it's early who knows maybe Vaughn signs below slot which allows us to draft a couple of hard to sign guys has been disappointing. I was hoping we learned our lesson with Madrigal and sort of instead went for high upside guys and tried to hit it out of the park rather then play it safe.

Instead we went for the safe pick for the college hitter who is already 21 and close to the majors.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic