***Day 1 MLB Draft Thread***

Heads22

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

So...Royce Clayton?

Ugghh, the best thing about Royce Clayton was that he was the guy Dennis Quaid struck out in The Rookie.  

Clayton is on the short list of my all time disliked Sox players.

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW, I like Vaughn's bat too. I believe that arm/field/run tools are significantly less volatile going from amateur to pro than the hit and power tools. Hit and power are the most volatile tools for a position player going from amateur to pro and that fact is why I view him as incredibly risky. I'd rather draft someone with insane upside that is capable of playing a position. A corner OF can be moved to 1B. So can a 3B or catcher. I've never questioned his current bat skills. 

I tend to believe in toolsy players with huge upside over safer players. It's a numbers game. The more of those types you draft, the more likely it is that you hit the jackpot. Same with pitchers. I believe in stuff guys. I believe you go upside in the 1st round and balance it with with safer players in the later high rounds. 

For the record, we are pretty much on the same page with our thinking JP. I just think you completely against the pick is where we differed. 

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW, I like Vaughn's bat too. I believe that arm/field/run tools are significantly less volatile going from amateur to pro than the hit and power tools. Hit and power are the most volatile tools for a position player going from amateur to pro and that fact is why I view him as incredibly risky. I'd rather draft someone with insane upside that is capable of playing a position. A corner OF can be moved to 1B. So can a 3B or catcher. I've never questioned his current bat skills. 

I tend to believe in toolsy players with huge upside over safer players. It's a numbers game. The more of those types you draft, the more likely it is that you hit the jackpot. Same with pitchers. I believe in stuff guys. I believe you go upside in the 1st round and balance it with with safer players in the later high rounds. 

Jack, my problem with this is you keep preaching upside but then ignore Vaughns. Vaughn's upside is the best hitter on the planet. That's his ceiling. No one else in this draft has that offensive ceiling. Offense ages better than everything you've listed, and offensive value is greatly prioritized over anything else even as DH and 1st baseman - as well as corner outfielders - are being diminished by the market place.

Being fast and really good defensively is great, but theres a reason Buxton was sent down repeatedly despite being on a 3 WAR pace In those years and it's because the value of defense/base running is not as valuable as offensive value added.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I like Priester for the Pirates. I think they are a team that could have great success developing him.

Seen him before and talked to some people on the circuit in Illinois and they swear hes the best pitcher the state has seen in my lifetime. I hope he succeeds as I've heard a lot of good things but HS pitchers in general are so damn risky. They are so many innings away from the big leagues. So much could happen.

If you ask me he's no Michael Bowden (bias might be getting the best of me again lol)

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• bmags unpinned this topic