FS: Andrew Vaughn goes to White Sox at pick No. 3

Rankin

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If true, I wonder if they actually move on from Abreu. Abreu still has the power stroke but his ability to hit for average is slipping. 

It looks to me that Abreu made adjustments in his approach and exchanged average for power numbers.

I like the pick. If Vaughn is as good as advertised he should be able to continue the white sox tradition of good 1B men.

Since 1999 the sox only had a bad 1b man in 2 years: 2003 when konerko had a suck year and 2013 when konerko was done.

Otherwise 

1999-2012: konerko 285/361/504 123 ops+ (was a really offensive era), 30 hr, 93 rbi on average

2014-19: abreu 291/349/515 136 ops+,32 hr, 107 rbi on average

If vaughn can continue that he definitely was worth the 3 pick.

Vaughn could very well be able to do that.

Fangraphs has him at 60/60 hit power which means about a 280 average, 25 hr and a 120 ops+ but I have also seen 70/65 which would mean 290 with 30 homers and a 135 ops+ which basically is exactly abreu.

Considering that abreu is much more expensive and might decline it probably doesn't make sense to extend him, however since vaughn likely will need until mid to late 2020 to be ready giving abreu a 1 year deal if he takes it might make sense, maybe a two year deal if you want to service time vaughn into 2021.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

44 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I like the pick. If Vaughn is as good as advertised he should be able to continue the white sox tradition of good 1B men.

Since 1999 the sox only had a bad 1b man in 3 years: 2003 when konerko had a suck year and 2013 when konerko was done.

Otherwise 

1999-2012: konerko 285/361/504 123 ops+ (was a really offensive era), 30 hr, 93 rbi on average

Fangraphs has him at 60/60 hit power which means about a 280 average, 25 hr and a 120 ops+ but I have also seen 70/65 which would mean 290 with 30 homers and a 135 ops+ which basically is exactly abreu.

Considering that abreu is much more expensive and might decline it probably doesn't make sense to extend him, however since vaughn likely will need until mid to late 2020 to be ready giving abreu a 1 year deal if he takes it might make sense, maybe a two year deal if you want to service time vaughn into 2021.

I'm thrilled to add a potential impact bat, however this signing does raise the issue of Abreu's place, going forward. The Sox are going to need to spend on a LH hitting, middle of the order bat, in free agency, or make a trade. That player will either have to be a corner outfielder, or a DH, which leaves Jose with no place to play. Therefore, once Vaughn arrives, Abreu would likely need to be gone. We also better really hope that Collins can stick, behind the plate and that his bat will be good enough. There is not going to be room for him at first, and he probably is not going to be a good enough hitter to DH. Then too, there is still the question of Burger, yet another right handed hitter, who profiles best as a DH, or maybe a first baseman.

It still baffles me how this front office has managed to stock up on so many right handed hitting, first basemen, DH's. Not very good planning. We have one legitimate Left handed hitting, middle of the order, impact bat; Moncada. Even there, it would have been nice to have the luxury of batting him 1ST or 2ND, to take advantage of his speed. Anderson, Robert, Eloy, Burger and now Vaughn, all right handed hitting. Perhaps they thought that  trading for Rutherford was going to help address the problem. However, he is really struggling. 

Edited by Lillian

Abreu is like 33 next year so I wouldn't give him more than 3 years anyway. 

Nothing wrong with a two year deal though, 2020 vaughn spends in the minors, then he gets super 2ed until late may and the rest of 2021 Abreu DHs or is traded at the deadline.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

9 hours ago, lostfan said:

He looks like a pretty finished product, should fly through the Sox system

Probably on the fastest track to the majors of this class, hopefully up towards the end of '20 or beginning of '21

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If true, I wonder if they actually move on from Abreu. Abreu still has the power stroke but his ability to hit for average is slipping. 

I doubt it, think the org. has already probably discussed extending him and Abreu is likely to take a discount...Let him DH...plus AV won't be up just yet

38 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Since 1999 the sox only had a bad 1b man in 2 years: 2003 when konerko had a suck year and 2013 when konerko was done.

Otherwise 

A 2 year extension for Abreu would be perfect, 3 is pushing it but I'd welcome it...something around 15 a year

13 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Abreu is like 33 so I wouldn't give him more than 3 years anyway. 

Nothing wrong with a two year deal though, 2020 vaughn spends in the minors, then he gets super 2ed until late may and the rest of 2021 Abreu DHs or is traded at the deadline.

Perfect

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm thrilled to add a potential impact bat, however this signing does raise the issue of Abreu's place, going forward. The Sox are going to need to spend on a LH hitting, middle of the order bat, in free agency, or make a trade. That player will either have to be a corner outfielder, or a DH, which leaves Jose with no place to play. Therefore, once Vaughn arrives, Abreu likely needs to be gone. We also better really hope that Collins can stick, behind the plate and that his bat will be good enough. There is not going to be room for him at first, and he is likely not going to be a good enough hitter to DH.

So look around the rosters for LH power hitting OF and see what we can find.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So look around the rosters for LH power hitting OF and see what we can find.

I often do, but don't see many options. So far, Dickerson might be the best free agent candidate, next year and that isn't much of a solution.

Edited by Lillian

9 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Probably on the fastest track to the majors of this class, hopefully up towards the end of '20 or beginning of '21

I doubt it, think the org. has already probably discussed extending him and Abreu is likely to take a discount...Let him DH...plus AV won't be up just yet

A 2 year extension for Abreu would be perfect, 3 is pushing it but I'd welcome it...something around 15 a year

Perfect

15 mil/yr for Abreu is a serious overpay. Over the last 18 months he hasn't cracked a .800 OPS and his defense was never his calling card. With the way the market has been for 1B/DH types, he would be lucky to get a third of that on the open market.

His build reminds me of Mike Trout and his powerful compact swing is reminiscent of Trout. 6-0  215lbs vs Trout 6-2 235lbs. Obviously he doesn't have the speed and defense but offensively he reminds me of him.

Lets hope he is half the player.

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Vaughn isn't a disaster like last years first round pick but still uninspired and safe.

Madrigal will be fine.  Won't be surprised if he is next years starting 2 nd baseman.

1 minute ago, pmb0928 said:

His build reminds me of Mike Trout and his powerful compact swing is reminiscent of Trout. 6-0  215lbs vs Trout 6-2 235lbs. Obviously he doesn't have the speed and defense but offensively he reminds me of him.

Lets hope he is half the player.

Let's stick him in CF and see what we got

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I often do, but don't see many options. So far, Dickerson might be the best free agent candidate, next year and that isn't much of a solution.

Go out and sign Scooter Gennett or trade for Ian Happ and you put a LH or Switch hitting bat in your 2nd base hole.