FS: Andrew Vaughn goes to White Sox at pick No. 3

Rankin

One thing his hit tool doesn't quite grasp is his fantastic eye and approach.

Like if you put a 60 hit tool on Collins eyes what do you have? 

Really hoping we get a .380 obp baseline from this guy and some years of big power.

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What’s the downside on him being a “shorter” first baseman - I read something along the lines that shorter 1b going as high draft picks don’t have a huge success rate 

I think defensively, the knock against shorter 1Bs is he just doesn't have the reach that a taller 1B would have to catch the ball.  Offensively, the concern is that he just isn't that big of a guy to hit with huge power.  However, his college career speaks otherwise to that last concern.

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What’s the downside on him being a “shorter” first baseman - I read something along the lines that shorter 1b going as high draft picks don’t have a huge success rate 

essentially that he is physically maxed out. But there was also older stereotypes about shorter players that they couldn't generate power with less extension, but that has fallen by the wayside with great power being developed by players like Altuve/Betts, etc.

Vaughn's size is a little bit of an issue, at first base. Although he's a pretty good fielder, he doesn't have the reach. A tall first baseman can stretch out and grab a throw, a few inches closer to the infielder and can reach up and bring down a high throw. We shouldn't have any concerns about his size, at the plate. His power is just fine. He is graded as having plus power. He'll hit his homers. They don't need to be of the tape measure variety. There are no bonus points awarded for hitting the ball an extra 50 feet, beyond the wall. Moreover, remember that a guy 5' 11" has shorter "levers" than the long armed, 6' 3" hitter. That shorter swing path allows him to get his bat into the hitting zone, more quickly.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Vaughn's size is a little bit of an issue, at first base. Although he's a pretty good fielder, he doesn't have the reach. A tall first baseman can stretch out and grab a throw, a few inches closer to the infielder and can reach up and bring down a high throw. We shouldn't have any concerns about his size, at the plate. His power is just fine. He is graded as having plus power. He'll hit his homers. They don't need to be of the tape measure variety. There are no bonus points awarded for hitting the ball an extra 50 feet, beyond the wall.

Do we know Vaughn's standing reach?

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

While I think it's way too early to discuss a position change, apparently teams worked Vaughn out at 3B

He was a middle infielder in high school and still insists that he can play third. Scouts seem to be less optimistic. He has the arm for third, as he also pitched in high school, but the rest of the defence at the hot corner is another question.

Edited by Lillian

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

He was a middle infielder in high school and still insists that he can play third. Scouts seem to be less optimistic. He has the arm for third, as he also pitched in high school, but the rest of the defence at the hot corner is another question.

I have zero urge to have Vaughn spend the time in the minors it would take to move to a more difficult position where he hasn't played in several years. Put him at 1b and as soon as his bat forces him up to the next level, move him there. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

If it’s true that he will be up with the Sox in 2 years, they’re definitely done with Abreu. Especially if Collins is also close.

I think we see Abreu sign a 2 years $25M type deal with the Sox either this summer, or early in the offseason.  Plays 1B next season, and shifts to DH whenever Vaughn is ready.

I didn't really want Vaughn a couple weeks ago. Its White Soxy for sure, but considering how the first 2 picks went, it was the right choice.   I am excited to have him and I hope he rakes him way to Chicago by next summer.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I didn't really want Vaughn a couple weeks ago. Its White Soxy for sure, but considering how the first 2 picks went, it was the right choice.   I am excited to have him and I hope he rakes him way to Chicago by next summer.  

I really turned on Vaughn when Keith Law was so positive on him, even saying he was in same tier as Rutschman.

When Law talks about bats I listen, especially when its guys he loves. 

The other part is (guys, I read a book, praise me) in Astro ball they talk a lot about how you should "hit on 16 even if it doesn't feel right", which often was related to how teams would pass on a player that seemed great because of stereotypes (too small, right handed, 1st base), even if stats and scouts loved him.

Vaughn started to feel more and more like a hit on 16 guy. I don't want to draft a RH 1b for along time, but he truly felt like an exception.

Go rake, Vaughn.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really turned on Vaughn when Keith Law was so positive on him, even saying he was in same tier as Rutschman.

When Law talks about bats I listen, especially when its guys he loves. 

The other part is (guys, I read a book, praise me) in Astro ball they talk a lot about how you should "hit on 16 even if it doesn't feel right", which often was related to how teams would pass on a player that seemed great because of stereotypes (too small, right handed, 1st base), even if stats and scouts loved him.

Vaughn started to feel more and more like a hit on 16 guy. I don't want to draft a RH 1b for along time, but he truly felt like an exception.

Go rake, Vaughn.

100% agree with this. Keith Law being such a huge fan is a big positive for me. He's usually pretty spot on about hitters that he likes. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

100% agree with this. Keith Law being such a huge fan is a big positive for me. He's usually pretty spot on about hitters that he likes. 

I generally have a love/hate relationship with Law for years regarding guys, but him being so in on Vaughn was nice to see. 

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

When does he sign and where does he play?  (which team, not which position)

I believe Cal is out of the CWS.

Have to think he goes to high A for a cup of coffee and then by July is up to AA for the rest of the year.  Maybe a cup of coffee in AAA in late August.  Hopefully debuts with the MLB club sometime next spring.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

When does he sign and where does he play?  (which team, not which position)

I believe Cal is out of the CWS.

I do not think the White Sox will want to wait much time before signing him. A short break perhaps but they're already talking about having him in the AFL this year and that means they want him to see high level competition soon. 

Last year Madrigal did short stops at Rookie (Arizona) and Kanny (low-A) before Winston Salem. I would imagine something similar, perhaps even more aggressive.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do not think the White Sox will want to wait much time before signing him. A short break perhaps but they're already talking about having him in the AFL this year and that means they want him to see high level competition soon. 

Last year Madrigal did short stops at Rookie (Arizona) and Kanny (low-A) before Winston Salem. I would imagine something similar, perhaps even more aggressive.

There isn't a snowball's chance in Tempe in July that Vaughn spends a single minute in rookie ball. 

@Balta1701 @SoxAce be sure to bookmark this one so if I'm wrong you can easily pull up the receipts :)

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yea rookie ball is usually just to get a guy's feet wet/back in the groove of things after a bit of a layoff from the college season and then negotiations with the team that drafted them. We'll see how long it takes Vaughn to sign which should determine that. Madrigal and Zack Collins had a cup of coffee (if you even wanna call it that) in rookie ball. Collins went straight to high A right after that.