FS: Andrew Vaughn goes to White Sox at pick No. 3

Rankin

9 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Sorry but your response is a cop-out.  What do you think a .272 / .346 / .723 line in A+ equates to in the majors?

Now obviously Madrigal can improve and the Sox must think he will but to promote him to AA based on that line just means the Sox are fast-tracking him regardless of whether he deserves it or not.  So don’t use Madrigal’s promotion as a sign of him doing well in the minors.  The Sox are just pushing him forward, regardless of his actual production.

No, it doesn’t mean that.  You are loading your opinion and presenting it as fact.  Dude that’s not a fact they are rushing him or is it fact they are promoting him because of his line.  Everything you said is 100% pure speculation, which is fine.  

I tend to think Madrigal is a guy who will have a similar line no matter what level he plays at:  close to .300 BA, close to .350 OBP and a who cares slugging %.   He will still be successful in most base  stealing attempts.  He will score tons of runs.  If somebody fast bats in front of him, there will be a lot of 1st to 3rds.  He will be the guy everybody loves up in the 9th because you know the ball is being put in play.  

He wasn’t drafted for some OPS line.  People gotta come around to that.  Now if he doesn’t do the shit I mentioned we’ll have problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal promoted to AA today and has been doing very well from what I read.  Even has 2 unexpected HR's.  His A+ league #'s in 49 games .272 BA with 6 strike outs in 289 at bats.  17 stolen bases looks pretty good.  Most people would give him a pretty good chance to be next years opening day 2nd baseman.  I like Yolmer as much as anyone but... he's no Madrigal.

Right now, today, Yolmer is a better hitter than Madrigal.  Hopefully, the lines will cross sometime next year.

9 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

No, it doesn’t mean that.  You are loading your opinion and presenting it as fact.  Dude that’s not a fact they are rushing him or is it fact they are promoting him because of his line.  Everything you said is 100% pure speculation, which is fine.  

I tend to think Madrigal is a guy who will have a similar line no matter what level he plays at:  close to .300 BA, close to .350 OBP and a who cares slugging %.   He will still be successful in most base  stealing attempts.  He will score tons of runs.  If somebody fast bats in front of him, there will be a lot of 1st to 3rds.  He will be the guy everybody loves up in the 9th because you know the ball is being put in play.  

He wasn’t drafted for some OPS line.  People gotta come around to that.  Now if he doesn’t do the shit I mentioned we’ll have problems. 

you think a guy that is hitting 272 in high A is going to put up around a 300 average in MLB?  That's wishcasting.  Other than his K rate there is nothing in Madrigal's batted ball profile to suggest he'll be a 300 hitter in MLB.  

@oldsox is 100% correct right now Yolmer is the better hitter.  Yolmer also put up better lines, at a younger age, in the minors.  At 22, Yolmer was hitting 293 in AAA with a 293/349/412 line.

There is a strange confirmation bias going on with Madrigal and certain segments of the fanbase.  Because he was typecast as a polished college player with a high floor it's almost assumed that's what he'll pan out as.  So far, he hasn't panned out into jack shit.  If his FV was something like 60 on draft day right now it looks close to 45.

He's got time to turn things around and his next three months in AA are absolutely critical either way.  If he can hold his own he looks back on a "solid regular in 2021" path.  If he can't hang, he's going to be repeating 2020 in AA at 23, which isn't ideal for a guy drafted where he was.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 hours ago, Good Guys said:

Thome, Donaldson, and Pete Alonso are some of the comparisons I've heard.  I see a little Edgar Martinez but would gladly take a younger version of Jose Abreu.

OMG. You dare want a beloved prospect to compare to Jose Abreu? That's a good take for a guy named greg who loves Abreu. Most would be scared to death to only have him as good as Jose.

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Boooooooooo!

LOL ! That's only something that can be understood in the written form.

Would you have liked it better If I said I was faughning over Vaughn ?

Maybe I'll get a Vaughn laughn gnome ! Nevermind I'm gaughn !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

21 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Could be the 20's version of Nellie Fox with his bat control.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 5:59 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

you think a guy that is hitting 272 in high A is going to put up around a 300 average in MLB?  That's wishcasting.  Other than his K rate there is nothing in Madrigal's batted ball profile to suggest he'll be a 300 hitter in MLB.  

@oldsox is 100% correct right now Yolmer is the better hitter.  Yolmer also put up better lines, at a younger age, in the minors.  At 22, Yolmer was hitting 293 in AAA with a 293/349/412 line.

There is a strange confirmation bias going on with Madrigal and certain segments of the fanbase.  Because he was typecast as a polished college player with a high floor it's almost assumed that's what he'll pan out as.  So far, he hasn't panned out into jack shit.  If his FV was something like 60 on draft day right now it looks close to 45.

He's got time to turn things around and his next three months in AA are absolutely critical either way.  If he can hold his own he looks back on a "solid regular in 2021" path.  If he can't hang, he's going to be repeating 2020 in AA at 23, which isn't ideal for a guy drafted where he was.

Does Madrigal project to be ... Scott Fletcher? Under 6 foot guy who will have a couple good years but good enough to stick around forever like Gordon Beckham has? Fletcher also was not tall.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Does Madrigal project to be ... Scott Fletcher? Under 6 foot guy who will have a couple good years but good enough to stick around forever like Gordon Beckham has? Fletcher also was not tall.

Not a bad comp actually.  Fletcher was a light hitting good glove infielder that was almost literally exactly a league average player in his career according to Baseball Reference.  

If Madrigal is an average regular that's OK.  You'd hope for more but we have position player stars finding some solid regulars to fill out the roster internally would be ideal so they can spend on pitching.

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Scott Fletcher put up 32 WAR in his career. It did take him 15 seasons to do so though. I think Madrigal will be a little bit better than that when all is said and done. 

On 6/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, oldsox said:

Right now, today, Yolmer is a better hitter than Madrigal.  Hopefully, the lines will cross sometime next year.

The lines crossed a bit earlier than I predicted.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was thinking more Luis Castillo *shrugs* ..

Edited by Soxnfins

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Jose Altuve is 5'6"