FS: Andrew Vaughn goes to White Sox at pick No. 3

Rankin

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Yea rookie ball is usually just to get a guy's feet wet/back in the groove of things after a bit of a layoff from the college season and then negotiations with the team that drafted them. We'll see how long it takes Vaughn to sign which should determine that. Madrigal and Zack Collins had a cup of coffee (if you even wanna call it that) in rookie ball. Collins went straight to high A right after that. 

May also just be to meet player dev staff in AZ before heading to affiliate ball.

Initially, I was a bit 'meh' about a RH, smallish-for-position, 1B.

But, I've warned on the idea, given the reports on his bat. I would, however, prefer if he could learn how to play at a cromulent level @ another position, be it 3rd or a corner OF.

Given the cavalcade of future 1B/DH in the system & in the 25 man, it would be a big help if he could play an additional position. Hell, if Bryant can play off his preferred 3B, why can't this org build versatility into the roster as well?

If teaching this kid an additional position means him coming up next June vs him coming up sooner as a 1B ONLY, I'll gladly take the former.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Initially, I was a bit 'meh' about a RH, smallish-for-position, 1B.

But, I've warned on the idea, given the reports on his bat. I would, however, prefer if he could learn how to play at a cromulent level @ another position, be it 3rd or a corner OF.

Given the cavalcade of future 1B/DH in the system & in the 25 man, it would be a big help if he could play an additional position. Hell, if Bryant can play off his preferred 3B, why can't this org build versatility into the roster as well?

If teaching this kid an additional position means him coming up next June vs him coming up sooner as a 1B ONLY, I'll gladly take the former.

The guy is our first baseman of the future, get used to it. They won't be moving him around. Let's just hope he mashes for 10 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I do not think the White Sox will want to wait much time before signing him. A short break perhaps but they're already talking about having him in the AFL this year and that means they want him to see high level competition soon. 

Last year Madrigal did short stops at Rookie (Arizona) and Kanny (low-A) before Winston Salem. I would imagine something similar, perhaps even more aggressive.

Considering the Machado fiasco, unless this guy is asking for something way out of the ordinary, he should sign very soon I would think.

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Vaughn isn't a disaster like last years first round pick but still uninspired and safe.

Is Madrigal that bad? He's got a lot of stolen bases and has hit OK the last 10 games.

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What the fuck does Machado have to do with Vaughn?...

A lot. The Sox are regarded as very very cheap right now after lying about pursuing Machado heavily. After that fiasco where they wouldn't pay him, they are not going to pinch pennies regarding Vaughn. Unless Vaughn is trying to pull a fast one and ask for way more than the slot of a No. 3 pick traditionally, he will sign soon IMO.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

A lot. The Sox are regarded as very very cheap right now after lying about pursuing Machado heavily. After that fiasco where they wouldn't pay him, they are not going to pinch pennies regarding Vaughn. Unless Vaughn is trying to pull a fast one and ask for way more than the slot of a No. 3 pick traditionally, he will sign soon IMO.

They didn’t lie about pursuing him heavily. They pursued him very heavily. 

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Think you're overthinking this one, Sox pay their top picks all relatively timely, this isn't hundreds of millions

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Do you realize the difference in money you are talking about between Machado and and Vaughn?  There is no comparison to be made.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

The guy is our first baseman of the future, get used to it. They won't be moving him around. Let's just hope he mashes for 10 years.

Probably. But, if this kid says he can play some 3rd, that adds so much value. Both him individually, and to the 25 man, whenever he arrives.

To me, it's at least worth exploring.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bmags said:

Madrigal is going to have to sit on Vaughn's shoulders to get to the candy shelf, omg.

And they are both going to be very good players.  Both graded out as close to the majors hitters.

Edited by poppysox

After listening to the Sox Talk Podcast, we have a special player here. Very selfless to give his time to make his teammates better at Cal by spending time and helping them. Love his old school demeanor, blue collar, grinding it out, straight up baseball player.

14 hours ago, poppysox said:

And they are both going to be very good players.  Both graded out as close to the majors hitters.

Grades don’t matter as much as production.  Madrigal is not exactly close to the majors right now, at least he shouldn’t be based on his production.  The Sox may decide to rush him anyways.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Grades don’t matter as much as production.  Madrigal is not exactly close to the majors right now.

Madrigal promoted to AA today and has been doing very well from what I read.  Even has 2 unexpected HR's.  His A+ league #'s in 49 games .272 BA with 6 strike outs in 289 at bats.  17 stolen bases looks pretty good.  Most people would give him a pretty good chance to be next years opening day 2nd baseman.  I like Yolmer as much as anyone but... he's no Madrigal.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal promoted to AA today and has been doing very well from what I read.  Even has 2 unexpected HR's.  His A+ league #'s in 49 games .272 / .346 / .723 with 6 strike outs in 289 at bats.  17 stolen bases looks pretty good.  Most people would give him a pretty good chance to be next years opening day 2nd baseman.  I like Yolmer as much as anyone but... he's no Madrigal.

I don’t like Yolmer at all but .272 / .346 / .723 at A+ is hardly doing very well for a first round pick.  Seems like they are jumping the gun on his promotion just to see if he can be penciled in the lineup for next year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

51 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t like Yolmer at all but .272 / .346 / .723 at A+ is hardly doing very well for a first round pick.  Seems like they are jumping the gun on his promotion just to see if he can be penciled in the lineup for next year.

I'm a glass half full guy...you not so much.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I'm a glass half full guy...you not so much.

Sorry but your response is a cop-out.  What do you think a .272 / .346 / .723 line in A+ equates to in the majors?

Now obviously Madrigal can improve and the Sox must think he will but to promote him to AA based on that line just means the Sox are fast-tracking him regardless of whether he deserves it or not.  So don’t use Madrigal’s promotion as a sign of him doing well in the minors.  The Sox are just pushing him forward, regardless of his actual production.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1