Best Organizational Young Talent Since???

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

When is the last time the White Sox had this type of young, controllable talent throughout the organization? Early 1990s?

C - James McCann/Zack Collins

1B - Andrew Vaughn

2B - Nick Madrigal

3B - Yoan Moncada

SS - Tim Anderson

LF - Eloy Jimenez

CF - Luis Robert

RF - Luis Basabe

OF - Charlie Tilson

OF - Ryan Cordell

INF - Yolmer Sanchez

UTIL - Leury Garcia

SP - Lucas Giolito

SP - Michael Kopech

SP - Dylan Cease

SP - Dane Dunning

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP/RP - Reynaldo Lopez

CL - Alex Colome

RP - Aaron Bummer

RP - Jace Fry

RP - Evan Marshall

RP - Hansen, Hamilton, Thompson, Burdi, etc.

Those guys are all 30 and under and controllable through next season at a minimum. Pretty impressive list.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

When is the last time the White Sox had this type of young, controllable talent throughout the organization? Early 1990s?

1B - Andrew Vaughn

2B - Nick Madrigal

3B - Yoan Moncada

SS - Tim Anderson

LF - Eloy Jimenez

CF - Luis Robert

RF - Luis Basabe

OF - Charlie Tilson

OF - Ryan Cordell

INF - Yolmer Sanchez

UTIL - Leury Garcia

SP - Lucas Giolito

SP - Michael Kopech

SP - Dylan Cease

SP - Dane Dunning

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP/RP - Reynaldo Lopez

CL - Alex Colome

RP - Aaron Bummer

RP - Jace Fry

RP - Evan Marshall

Those guys are all 30 and under and controllable through next season at a minimum. Pretty impressive list.

You left out Pilkington, Bush, Sheets, Walker and Rutherford. They're all still legit prospects. 

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

You left out Pilkington, Bush, Sheets, Walker and Rutherford. They're all still legit prospects. 

There’s a dozen or so legit prospects I left out but just trying to highlight the top prospects as well as those already contributing at the big league level.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

1B - Andrew Vaughn

2B - Nick Madrigal

3B - Yoan Moncada

SS - Tim Anderson

LF - Eloy Jimenez

CF - Luis Robert

RF - Luis Basabe

OF - Charlie Tilson

OF - Ryan Cordell

INF - Yolmer Sanchez

UTIL - Leury Garcia

SP - Lucas Giolito

SP - Michael Kopech

SP - Dylan Cease

SP - Dane Dunning

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP/RP - Reynaldo Lopez

CL - Alex Colome

RP - Aaron Bummer

RP - Jace Fry

RP - Evan Marshall

Without doubt...the answer to the question is NEVER.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I wouldn't say that. How is this for a group of young players? Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, Wilson Alvarez, Alex Fernandez, and yes, Sammy Sosa.

It should be the best period of young talent, considering they turned almost every decent player they had into prospects.

And but for a two spells of FO delusion, you could  add Tatis, Semien, Phegley, Semien and Bassitt, all of whom would be on the major league roster.  Then you would also have to subtract Burdi.

Edited by GreenSox

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It should be the best period of young talent, considering they turned almost every decent player they had into prospects.

And but for a two spells of FO delusion, you could  add Tatis, Semien, Phegley, Semien and Bassitt, all of whom would be on the major league roster.  Then you would also have to subtract Burdi.

might as well throw in Gio Gonzalez into that mix as well. 

29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I like this group better than the early 2000s personally. I think the early 1990s was better, though, this group may be a bit deeper.

Ordonez, Konerko, Durham, Crede, Foulke, Rowand, Buehrle, Baldwin, Marte... a lot of all star level talent.  Plus they had players who people thought would be good but didn't turn out (that will happen with many on the current list) as well as filler similar to Tilson, etc.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

You obviously don't remember the talent pool in the Sox organization in the 50's and early 60's do you? The Sox and Yankees had the two best farm systems in baseball during that time.

Edited by Lip Man 1

40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Ordonez, Konerko, Durham, Crede, Foulke, Rowand, Buehrle, Baldwin, Marte... a lot of all star level talent.  Plus they had players who people thought would be good but didn't turn out (that will happen with many on the current list) as well as filler similar to Tilson, etc.

Without a doubt it was a talented group but I like this group better. I think this group could produce a hall of famer and a few MVP seasons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Wasn't Sirotka part of that group too. He flamed out due to injury, but was good for a while and got us Wells. 

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Wasn't Sirotka part of that group too. He flamed out due to injury, but was good for a while and got us Wells. 

Yes, this is the most talent the Sox have had since around the turn of the century. People forget how good of a prospect some of the guys that flamed out were, such as Corwin Malone and Jon Rauch. Both were considered potential future Aces. They had arm injuries, and Rauch was able to carve out a short bullpen career.  Around 2001 they looked set for a long time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, this is the most talent the Sox have had since around the turn of the century. People forget how good of a prospect some of the guys that flamed out were, such as Corwin Malone and Jon Rauch. Both were considered potential future Aces. They had arm injuries, and Rauch was able to carve out a short bullpen career.  Around 2001 they looked set for a long time. 

Agree.  I'd say on paper this group is as good as the early aughts group.  On paper they are slightly better than the early 90s group.  But that's just on paper.  Generating an inner circle HOFer like Frank seems a tall order.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Agree.  I'd say on paper this group is as good as the early aughts group.  On paper they are slightly better than the early 90s group.  But that's just on paper.  Generating an inner circle HOFer like Frank seems a tall order.

If a few guys didn't get injured, the Sox could have won more than one WS in the 2000s. That being said, I'll take the one we got. 

23 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You obviously don't remember the talent pool in the Sox organization in the 50's and early 60's do you? The Sox and Yankees had the two best farm systems in baseball during that time.

Unfortunately, I remember it well.  I started following in 1955.  For my money I don't remember this deep a talent pool in those 60+ years.  This group looks like it will seriously dominate for a decade.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Unfortunately, I remember it well.  I started following in 1955.  For my money I don't remember this deep a talent pool in those 60+ years.  This group looks like it will seriously dominate for a decade.

Maybe, maybe not. Just off the top of my head: Mincher, Cash, Aparicio, Landis, Berry, Hershberger, Peters, Horlen, Locker, Romano, Latman, Battey, McLain. All those guys were signed and developed by the Sox.

That's a pretty talented group who went on to have terrific major league careers and again that's just off the top of my head, I probably missed some.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

1B - Andrew Vaughn

2B - Nick Madrigal

3B - Yoan Moncada

SS - Tim Anderson

LF - Eloy Jimenez

CF - Luis Robert

RF - Luis Basabe

OF - Charlie Tilson

OF - Ryan Cordell

INF - Yolmer Sanchez

UTIL - Leury Garcia

SP - Lucas Giolito

SP - Michael Kopech

SP - Dylan Cease

SP - Dane Dunning

SP - Carlos Rodon

SP/RP - Reynaldo Lopez

CL - Alex Colome

RP - Aaron Bummer

RP - Jace Fry

RP - Evan Marshall

Found Rick Hahn's burner

I'm not trying to denigrate any of our White Sox hero's of yesterday.  But look at the careers of those you mention:

Landis               .247 lifetime        10 year career        93 HR                                     Peters               124 Wins       103 Loses     3.25 era          13 year career

Mincher            .249                       12                            200                                          Horlen               116                 117                3.11                 11

Aparico             .262                       17                              83                                           Locker                57                    39                2.75                 10

Cash                  .271                       16                            377                                           Lattman             59                    68                3.91                   9                                    

Berry                 .255                       13                              58

Hershberger    .252                       10                              26

Romano            .255                        9                              129      

Battey                .270                      12                              104

I think most of todays fans will take the over on their expectations on what todays prospects will achieve.

Edited by poppysox

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

You could add Semien, Tatis, Escobar, Montas, Bassit, Devenski had they not traded for veterans from 2011- Spring 2016. .  In fact, I'd say they could be WC contenders right now.

Those trades don't happen and you're still looking at a team trying to make do with Sale, while starting guys like JB shuck in the outfield.

No use crying over spilled milk. All this line of thinking does is paralyze you when it's time to make moves. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Our major trades have been great as far as I'm concerned.  I don't have as much patience as I should.  I want to see the team with all the parts functioning.  It has the potential to be the best team any of us has seen.  Just a few pieces away now.